Did you even know that cornbread could be naughty? I mean, cornbread is about as plain and wholesome as it gets. But here’s my deal: in case you haven’t noticed, I have a little bit of a sweet tooth. I also think that sometimes, cornbread is too crumbly to enjoy eating. This super-complicated recipe takes care of both of those things–combining a yellow cake mix with a through-and-through cornbread mix cuts some of the down-home gritty crumbliness of regular cornbread (although people out there like cornbread that way and I can totally appreciate it) and adds some sweetness. It’s more like “corncake.” And do I ever say no to cake? Pretty much no.

Naughty Cornbread
1 yellow cake mix
2 Jiffy cornbread mixes
Oil, milk, and eggs according to package directions
Preheat oven according to directions on cake mix box. Combine cake mix and cornbread mixes in a large bowl. Add eggs, oil, and milk according to package directions (replace all water with milk). Mix together according to cake mix directions.
Now…this makes a lot of cornbread, and if it were easy to half it, I would. However, I never trust myself to accurately cut a cake mix in half, so I just make all the cornbread and then freeze the leftovers. I like to make 1 pan of muffins (12)
and 1 9×13″ pan of cornbread, for no other reason than it fits into my oven all at the same time. You could also do a 9×13″ pan and an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan; it’s all up to you. Just bake according to cake mix directions (about 20 minutes for muffins or 30 minutes for a 9×13 pan”).

Check out those beauties. Serve with Sara’s honey butter along with a big bowl of chili and don’t forget to check back in next week for all of our Halloween treats!
So how do you like your cornbread? Coarse and crumbly? Sweet? Savory? What do you eat it with?

Angie says:

I have a “from scratch” recipe for cornbread that has yellow cake mix in it and it is to DIE for!! Then the homemade honey butter just tops it off.

I’ll definitely be trying this one. It looks much easier! Thanks!

The Shaws says:

I love cornbread period…crumbly, soft, cold, warm, with honey-butter…any way I can get it. In my house we always call it corn-cake no matter what the consistency because our kids are more likely to eat it that way. HA!

Thanks for a new recipe to try of one of my favorite foods! I can’t wait to taste it.

Joy

Chef E says:

I am there with you! And what a great pic of that ‘closeup’ muffin…

Sara says:

I am seriously so excited to try this. So excited that I already have all the ingredients in my pantry. I’ve been searching for years for an easy cornbread that is just how I like it. And how I like it is more like cake! lol.

Question: when you say to add oil, eggs, etc. as per the package instructions, does that mean from both the corn bread *and* the cake mix boxes?

Kate says:

Sara–Yep, just add the eggs and milk (instead of water) for the cornbread and then the eggs, milk, and oil for the cake. If you want, you could mix them up separately and then combine them, but that’s just another bowl for me to wash… :)

Lynn says:

A friend of mine used to make her cornbread like this. I have not seen the recipe in a while. It is really good. Thanks.

The Wilkes Week says:

Prefer my cornbread sweet with honey butter – the sweeter the better! Yum!!!!

Kara says:

We will be trying this it looks yummy. I like cornbread sweeter but as far as soft or crumbly or whatever, I’m not too picky.

awesome invention. I love warm moist sweet cornbread with a big dab of butter. Mmmmmmm. . .

Mary Kelly says:

I love cornbread that is more like corn cake so this recipe sounds perfect.
    I also love cornbread that had actual corn kernels in it- any recipes like that?

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

We share that sweet tooth! I can’t wait to try this!

dijensen says:

I tried this for a chili/cornbread dinner I went to on Saturday night. It was a great hit and I loved the leftovers the next day. thanks so much for your recipes..I have LOVED every recipe I have tried from you gals.

tren says:

I like it moist and sweet. I use a Taste of Home recipe called “Buttery Corn Bread” and everyone who tries it loves it, even people who think they don’t like corn bread. I think I’ll give your method a shot and see how it compares.

mmdeakin says:

Was I supposed to replace the water in the cake mix with milk as well? My mix called for water. Oh well…we’ll see how they turn out.

Derek, Ali, Breck & Jade says:

I wanted to try these but didn’t have any cornbread mixes. Instead I used the recipe from the back of the cornmeal box and substituted canned pumpkin for the vegetable oil (like you do with applesauce), and added some spices (all spice, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg) and it was a delicious pumpkin cornbread. Great with applebutter! I’ll try the cakey cornbread another time.

Derek, Ali, Breck & Jade says:

Nathaly says:

I just tried this and loved it. Even though I had to subsitute soymilk and egg replacer for my allergic child, it still tasted great! Thanks!

sunnymum says:

Yes, this is the best cornbread! My family loves it!

Donna says:

Loved the Naughty cornbread. Here is a way to make it in a smaller batch. Use 1 box Duncan Hines cupcake mix which makes only 12 and 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix. I also made them in mini muffin tins. Then dipped in butter and rolled in sugar an cinnamon. The grandkids loved them.

The Nedrys says:

I am making chili tonight and will give these a try. I have a different brand of boxed cornbread mix, but I think it should work just fine. I actually have a homemade recipe like this, but think the mixes will be much easier than doing it all from scratch! Thanks!

snarflemarfle says:

I bet you could halve this recipe by using one box of Jiffy corn muffin mix and one box of Jiffy white cake mix! I'm sending a link to this recipe to my sis…she's not a fan of cornbread unless it's sweet and I think this might do it!

Bell Family says:

So these were so yummy, i love that they had JUST the right amount of crumbliness to them. They were delicious with my pinto bean soup! YUM!

McKinna says:

I got assigned to make cornbread for a fam-function this weekend… your website was the 1st PLACE I checked for an awesome recipe! THANKS! FOUND IT! Can't wait to try this one!! I 2 cannot turn down cake… & I love it- corn cake!
    Thanks OBB!! (Oh, & I like it soft, crumbly, & sweet!)

Tara says:

This may be my new favorite OBB recipe. YUM yum yum!!!!

Teresa says:

About how many cupcakes would this make?

Vicky says:

Oh my these are yummy!!! I “veganed” them by using Vanilla Soy Milk and egg replacers. Just wonderful!!!

Sierra says:

Could you substitute buttermilk for regular milk? I have some in my fridge that i want to use up! Thanks!

Carol says:

Do we mix each box with it’s package directions?

Julie says:

I just made these tonight after reading the ingredient list…it sounded amazing! Well, they certainly are tasty but to me they are more like cake than cornbread. They are good but I prefer regular cornbread with honey butter. Thanks for all the awesome recipes! I love the blog…

Megan says:

Hi! This sounds like an incredibly yummy treat! I have a corn casserole dish that calls for jiffy cornbread mix, butter and creamed corn. It’s so delicious! When I make your recipe, do you think I could add the creamed corn to it or would it be too soupy? Thank you for all of these great recipes…I just made the pumpkin bread cream cheese whoopi pies…wow!! So goooood!

Lynn says:

I love many recipes on this site, but just didn’t care for this one. I just couldn’t get past the “cake-mix-in-a-box” flavor. It overpowered the cornbread. It was more like cake with a little corn flavor. I’ll keep making recipes from this site, though. Keep up the great recipes!

greg says:

I use vanilla puding mix along with the corn bread mix. This has been the easist way to make yummy corn bread.

Paige says:

Do you really use 2 (two) boxes of the Jiffy mix? I see this recipe all over the internet and they all call for one.

Charity says:

This looks YUMMY! Trying tomorrow w/ your taco soup! =)

RRM says:

I was looking forward to trying this since my 1st try with Jiffy was dry and crumbly. Well, it wasn’t cornbread, it was cake. It was cake with no resemblance to cornbread. I added two cans of Rotel chilis and some extra sharp cheddar cheese. It was still sickeningly sweet cake. My grandkids will probably love it, but it isn’t even remotely cornbread. There is a recipe for a something like I was trying to make in Sunset magazine somewhere and it is wonderful.

Roberta Veloz says:

This sounds delish and I can not wait to make it. I have a question, do you add the ingredients from the cake mix only or from the cake mix and both cornbread mixes?

Stacey Mangum says:

Another great recipe! Thanks!

Rebecca says:

These are great! I made 24 HUGE muffins. :)

Karen says:

If you have a scale, weigh out the cake mix and then divide the weight by 2 if you want to “cut” it in half. It’s the easiest and most accurate way to go.

One thing that is confusing to me about this recipe is the addition of the wet ingredients. Do you only add the ingredients mentioned on the cake mix? Or do you also add in what the Jiffy mixes call for?

Megan L. says:

Kate, do you know how long a 9×13 pan of this cornbread would take to cook from frozen? I made this a few months ago and now I want to bake the one that is in my freezer. It’s in a glass pan and I’m going to bake it at 350. Any suggestions on timing? Thanks!

Megan L. says:

It’s already cooked, so I guess I just need to know how long it might take to warm in the oven if it’s frozen? Thanks.

Karen W says:

This is the only way I will make cornbread again! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I have made it several times and we just love it!

Denise Hernandez says:

I made two batches of these for my husbands office cook off…they were super easy to make (which is very important to me….actually #1 on my list when researching recipes), they turned out fabuously! I was quite surprised and very proud of myself. I did add a half can of drained corn to each batch. I give this recipe a 5 out of 5.

Missy says:

Just love these! I’ve tweaked it a little for those who crave that buttery cornbread taste and texture. I had used a yellow (butter) cake mix, a can of creamed corn and 1/4c. shredded cheddar cheese. YUM! FYI, these spongy-goodness treats freezes really well. A quick pop in the microwave and it tastes as if it had just came out of the oven. =D

Tara Erwin says:

to be honest, I didn’t know til late high school that you ate cornbread with chili! My family always ate it with butter and syrup, as a breakfast-y type thing. so now I make this with chili and the next day eat it for breakfast! I’ve made this recipe multiple times and love it! I even made it one night with a white cake mix cuz I didn’t have yellow, still good :) thanks OBB! LOVE you guys!

Kaylene says:

Do you put egg and milk in from both jiffy boxes? I know you said you add ingredients from both boxes, but wasn’t sure if that means all 3 boxes.

Kathryn says:

Love this recipe! Could you also do this with Jiffy blueberry muffins?

PattyCakes says:

The Best ever and so easy! Thank you for this awesome recipe!