I love dinner salads. I mix up everything I eat anyway, so the idea of combining the main dish, the salad, and the veggie sides all onto one plate and smothering them with yummy tasting sauce seems like a natural thing to do. And even though I’m still eating a whole meal, I feel better about myself since it’s called a “salad”. This ‘aint no sissy salad either. The steak and beans make it filling and dare I even say- manly. Well, maybe not manly, but I guarantee men will eat it and like it. My men sure do.

You’ll need two things posted recently, the lime-chili rubbed flank steak, and the creamy lime-cilantro dressing. Hopefully you aren’t sick of lime yet this week! Personally, I never ever get sick of limes. As evident by my posts as of late :)

Photobucket

Chili-Lime Steak Salad

print recipe text only

1 1/2 lb flank steak, cooked with lime-chili rub and sliced into 1/4″ slices
1 recipe Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing
1 large head romaine lettuce
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 red onion, sliced thin
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed in cold water
1-2 avocados, sliced
cilantro for garnish
optional: fried tortilla strips

You know how to make a salad, right?? Start with a nice bed of cold, crunchy lettuce, top with tomatoes (cut in half), sliced onion, black beans, avocado and smother it in the best dressing ever. Sprinkle on some cilantro and fried tortilla strips if you’re in the mood (in the mood for tortilla strips, not for, well…ya know) Oh ya, and don’t forget the steak like I just did while writing this. It’s kind of important. I like it warm, but you can use leftovers and have it chilled too. Yummy yummy.

I love how this little tomato looks like it’s going down a water slide…

Liking the salad-for-dinner thing? Try:
Steak and Mango Entre Salad
Spicy Honey Chicken Salad
Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
and definitely wash all those down with some Brazilian Lemonade!

Christina says:

Yeah- first commenter!! Bring on the lime, baby!! Have you tried the drink ‘Simply Lime’? My new obsession. Freeze it for a lime slushy and you’ll never look back. Anyway, yes, salad for dinner is definitely in my book. Especially on those hot summer days.

EAT! says:

Love the steak salad. Maybe a margarita would go well with this one. :)

Stephanie says:

Yeah! I have steak salad on my menu this week and haven’t made it yet. I wasn’t sure what dressing or other toppings I was going to use, but NOW I DO! Thanks!

Sara says:

Christina- I love Simply Lime juice! Never tried freezing it though…yum!

Pam says:

Now this is my kind of salad! I love the dressing – it sounds perfect. Looking forward to trying this out.

Crystal says:

When I passed the limes at the grocery store this week and thought of you ladies. This salad looks so so good.

Sara says:

Crystal, I love that you thought of us when you saw limes! lol

Shara says:

I am so excited – I have some of that flank steak in my fridge left over from the other day and I didn’t know what to do with it! Can’t wait to try this!!!

once in a blue moon... says:

it looks perfect, i am too hungry to be gawking right now!

Kevin says:

That salad looks really tasty!

Melody says:

My hubby is not an equal opportunity salad dressing guy. He only uses Italian! Boy, if he only knew the wonderful world of salad dressing tastes out there. Well, he can have his Italian, but your lime dressing looks too good to pass up.

farmergalsmarket says:

This looks DELICIOUS! Everything I’m looking for with my new ‘springtime’ appetite… Hearty but not to heavy and FRESH!

Mindy says:

This looks awesome! We don’t have access to a grill here at our apartment in France, so we’ve already planned our first meal back in the States (in July!) to be something grilled…perhaps this will be the perfect “welcome home” meal!

LollyChops says:

I actually don’t think it possible to ever get sick of limes! That dressing looks like it’s to die for and the salad looks killer too! Wonder how it would taste with tofu instead???? heh

Riddle Girl says:

This was DELICIOUS! We even grilled a little extra steak and just put the dressing on that and munched on it. YUMMMY!
    Thank you!

Sunshine Mom says:

Dinner salads are especially great in the summer. The weather has already taken a turn for the hot here in FL and this recipe sounds absolutely perfect after a humid, hot day!

Em says:

Thanks for posting this recipe. It was an ENORMOUS hit with my husband, friend, and myself. I had my friend over to ‘cook’ together. We had fun trying out the recipe (dressing, rubbed steak and all) and it definitely made the ‘keeper’ list. If only steak were cheaper…have you tried this with chicken?

Em- so glad you loved this. I haven’t tried it with chicken, but I can already tell you that it would be great!

Rasmussen Family says:

Just made this for dinner and all I can say is AMAZING! I wouldn't serve salad as the main dish to guests usually but THIS salad I would in a heartbeat. Thanks so much!

Hailey says:

Just made this for dinner, soooooo yummy!! The flank steak turned out amazing, and the dressing is my absolute favorite I make it a few times a week, it's also delicious with the creamy chicken taquitos :) Thanks so much!!!

Anissa says:

Dynamite recipe! My husband and I loved it. The kids… not so much. But they are super picky.

I paired it with the Brazilian Lemonade, which was also amazing. Thanks!

aubrey says:

I really enjoyed this salad…and using the leftover dressing for a veggie dip. yum.

Ncage says:

Used this wet rub tonight on a piece of sirloin. Only slight change i made was to replace the cayenne with chipotle powder. Let it sit on the steak for about 3 hours in the fridge. It was awesome. thanks.

Shaina says:

I made this salad tonight for dinner and my Husband and I LOVED it! I followed the recipe (and your Flank steak instructions) exactly and it came out perfect! The steak was so flavorful and tender. This is our new favorite steak recipe and I can see how the marinade would also go great on chicken. Oh! and OMG the salad dressing!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t even. It was DELISH! This thursday I’m going to try your tzatziki sauce on our grilled chicken pitas! Can’t wait. I LOVE this site, It’s by far the most user friendly, informative and aesthetically pleasing site for recipes and tips that I’ve ever used. I love that you add pictures for every step, it really helps. You ladies are awesome!!!