Okay, so have you ever just had those moments of epiphany, when you’re just sitting there and some perfectly-formed idea pops into your brain? For days, I had been mulling things over–French bread dough…garlic butter…cheese–but I just could NOT figure out the logistics of it all. And then one day, it just came to me and I couldn’t make them fast enough. And they were even better than I imagined.

Don’t get me wrong, this is no health snack–I mean, we’re talking butter AND cheese here (my dietitian friend Emily should probably just avert her eyes now). But oh. My. Gosh. these are so good. And one perk is that one is pretty much enough, so all you have to do is find enough people to help you eat them so you don’t have any leftovers and it’s not TOO bad of a nutritional train wreck!

Cheesy Garlic Bread Swirls
Recipe by Our Best Bites

French Bread Dough:
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4-5 1/2 c. flour
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg yolk

Garlic Butter:
1/2 c. (1 stick) of real butter, no substitutions
1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic bread seasoning

Shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine yeast, water, and sugar in large mixing bowl and allow to stand 10 minutes or until bubbly. Add salt, vegetable oil, and egg yolk (set white aside for later) and combine. Add 3 c. flour and mix well until combined. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that barely sticks to your finger. Knead, either by hand or in mixer (my personal and very lazy choice) for another 2-3 minutes. Cover and allow to rise 1 hour.

While dough is rising, combine butter and garlic bread seasoning. Set aside.

Now…here’s a little trick I’ve been using a lot lately. I really, really hate cleaning up flour on my work surface after I’ve been working with dough, but I obviously have to use SOMETHING to keep it from sticking. If you spray a little non-stick cooking spray on your work surface and your rolling pin, your dough won’t stick and clean-up is super easy!

Anyway, roll your rough into a rectangle that’s about 18-20 inches by 6 inches. Smear garlic butter over the entire surface of the dough and then sprinkle with cheese.

Roll up jelly-roll style and then use dental floss to cut into 12 equal slices. Of course, I kind of forgot to take pictures of this whole process, but if what I’m saying makes no sense, check out the orange roll recipe to see what I’m talking about. Place each slice in a muffin tin. Cover with a clean cloth. Preheat oven to 350 and allow rolls to rise while the oven is heating.

When the oven is ready, bake for 18-22 minutes.

You’re going to need to keep a CLOSE eye on these puppies during the last 10 minutes or so–once you notice the cheese getting brown, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the rolls (you don’t need to press it down or anything, just lay it on top). This will keep the cheese from burning, although it will get pretty brown on top. It’s okay, though, because the insides are still all ooey-gooey.

Pull these out of the oven and eat ‘em up ASAP! If you want to try and counteract the butter/cheese/white flour combo, pair these up with Italian Turkey Soup or dip ‘em in some luscious, veggie-filled pasta sauce.

Libby says:

Ohhhh…these look delish!! Yummm!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Beautiful! I think my husband would absolutely love these… I will have to make them for him sometime soon. Adding to my "must bake" list!

You are a genius!! Can't wait to try these!!

5 Star Foodie says:

These are gorgeous little savory bites! Delicious!

Britney says:

Oh. My. Goodness.

These look DEEEEEEELICIOUS!!! I cannot wait to try these!

I'm pretty sure you can never go wrong with bread, cheese, and butter!

Ariana says:

Dangerous, dangerous recipe. I am pretty much in love with anything bread and garlic so within seconds of opening your blog and seeing the picture I'd copied and printed the recipe!
    I can't wait to try it!! Thank you.
    If they taste half as good as they look I'll be one happy eater. lol

Em says:

These look so great! I like the refreshed look your blog has gotten, too!!

Erin says:

I actually have all of the ingredients for these in my house right now. Mmmmm…

Barbara Bakes says:

Okay – the stringy cheese picture got me! Yum!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh my! Now I'm not sure which to make first… the chocolate zucchini bread (got a large zucchini from a co-worker that will be perfect) or these! Maybe I can make the zucchini bread WHILE the bread dough for this garlic cheesy bread goodness of a recipe is rising. Mmm… I see lots of baking in my near future! :)

Stephanie says:

Oh my goodness! You had me hooked by the picture where you were pulling it apart. YUMMM! I'm such a sucker for garlic bread, in any variety. Love it!

Emili says:

Ooooh, the pain of being tempted by such delicious recipes. You guys re NOT good for ym diet. umm, how many ww points do you think these would be?? 12 pts for chocolate zuccini bread and 12 more for garlic rolls. Worth it.

Shawna says:

My mouth is watering just looking at the photo of the finished product!! Yummmmmm

betchacanteatjustone says:

Oh yum!

These look awesome! French bread, Garlic, cheese and butter….you can't go wrong!

Mary Kelly says:

Oh. My. Goodness. Kate you are amazing. Of course… why not combine the two most delicious things to eat- cinnamon rolls and garlic cheese bread. I think I will have to make these for Sunday dinner with a side of healthy veggies.

Gina says:

Seriously, I just happen upon the blog, and now I think I'm in love! This is WONDERFUL and I can't wait to try these.

Valerie says:

These look so great. I would love to serve these to friends at a dinner instead of regular French bread.

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

I "used" to do that with my breadsticks too. Just put butter and cheese on the insides like your French Roll-Up thingies. Man I miss gluten.

jamie t. says:

Made these tonight and they were a hit!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Oh my! Those look so good! And I think even Emily will be tempted by them! lol

Laura says:

My family gobbled these right up, a huge hit. I felt like the rolls were pretty large (mine came out of the muffin pan by more than an inch before rising and baking) and if I make them again I might try to make the dough skinnier and cook them in the mini muffin pan instead, or just cut them a little bit thinner and cook them either in 2 muffin pans or in a regular baking dish.

One last thing, these are quite rich, being the large size they were no one could eat more than one, and trust me that is VERY out of character for my family. One roll per person is more than enough!

Donya says:

These look absolutely incredible! Sooooo very excited to try this one. Everything I've tried from you ladies so far has been AmAzInG! Thanks so much!

We made these and they were amaaaazing-no surprise! Thanks lady-Katy (does anyone ever call you that? Cuz I do all the time in my head, lol)

Liz says:

WOW-these sound amazing! I am in love with that picture of the stringy cheese…now I'm craving all kinds of bad-for-me things…

DAY says:

i'm in the process of making these right now, but can't find where in the instructions to add the egg white?? what am i missing?
    please help :)

Thanks!

Kate says:

Oh, you don't need the egg white! :) Just toss it down the drain or make a teeny-tiny omelet! :) I'll make that more clear in the instructions.

Rachel Stonebreaker says:

Mmmmm … sweet roll with cheese … what could be better?

Jessica and Jim says:

What's the cold water for? I'm not seeing that in the directions . . . but sometimes I can be an idiot!

Dessi says:

Just thought I would let you know your site is loved all the way over her in Maryland. I share it with all my friends. This recipe has given me many oos and ahs so thanks for making me look good. I would love to see what you could do with wheat flour or even wheat/white combos. Any favorite recipes to share in that area?

Jessica says:

4 for 4.

(p.s. I was TOTALLY afraid of rolls. I had messed them up a few times a few years ago and so I shied away. I made the dinner rolls from this site at Christmas and these rolls and they have both turned out so perfect. Thanks so much for helping me gain Bread Confidence!)

Alyssa Griffeth says:

Making these right now, and I, too, couldn't find the part in the directions that says what to do with the cold water. What am I missing!?

Wendy says:

These were a thing of beauty! So wonderful and yummy! This is definitely a recipe I'll use again and again!

Denise says:

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! everything i've made my family loves!!!
    one question on these though….where does the cold water come in? i can't find it anywhere and i'm thinking i've looked too many times….

You know what Denise- I think that's because in the normal french bread recipe

you use the yolk in the dough and then mix the white with cold water for an egg wash. You don't need an egg wash for these so the water shouldn't be there. Good catch!

Air Force Bratz says:

I made these for dinner the other night and my husband took the leftover ones to work the next day in his lunch. (gasp i know I actually managed not to eat them all) Anyway he said even his coworkers were drooling over the yummy cheesy goodness. SOOOOOO sinfully yummy.

Melody says:

The fact that I was willing to turn on my oven and make these in Arizona, in JULY, tells you how irresistible these LOOKED. They tasted even better! They were worth every minute of the hot kitchen that came with them. What a brilliant idea. Thanks for another delicious recipe!

kim says:

Do you think there is any way to freeze some of these after cutting/before cooking? We don't really need them all at once… well, I might think I do, but I don't.. ha! Do you think they could defrost and cook at another time or does that not work with yeast dough?

Jenni says:

These were delicious. Everyone loved them. Thanks for posting!

Chelsea says:

These were AWESOME. I just made them with Parmesan chicken. A new staple for sure! And of course, I had to blog about it: http://ducksoven.blogspot.com/2010/10/parmesan-chicken-and-garlic-butter.html

Ty and Ber says:

De.lish!! My family loved them! I think I ate half of them. Super tasty.

Bridgitte says:

I cannot express how yummy and easy this was to make!!! I used pampered chef's parm and garlic seasoning.

Bell Family says:

made this tonight to accompany the creamy pesto pasta. The only difference is that i had a ball of pizza dough that i bought at the grocery store that i used and instead of using all the separate herbs i just used Italian seasoning. Such a hit with my hubby and father in law! i would have added more cheese next time though so it just ooozed out

Wendy says:

First I have to say that yeast and I don't get along. But I made these tonight in a big rush. I only put in 3 1/4 cups of flour; let them rise for 30 min. They turned out perfect!!! Great companion to your sausage and tortellini soup as well. Compliments all around! Now I need to go exercise all those calories off!

Michelle says:

Made these for a party tonight and they were a huge hit! I doubled the recipe. There were 10 of us and I had a lot left over.

Puanani503 says:

I can't wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing:)

Brenda says:

I love this recipe! I use cheddar, mozerella and fresh parmesan inside…Love them! Thank you!

Anne says:

I see someone asked earlier if these could be prepared, frozen, and then baked at a later time. Have you tried that at all, or do you think it'd work with these?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Anne, I've never tried it, but based on previous experience, you should be fine shaping the rolls then covering them and freezing them immediately. Then you can just take the whole pan out of the freezer, let it stand on the counter for several hours (until the rolls are doubled) and bake them that way.

Hope that helps! :)

Nichelle_Nichole says:

Fantastic! One question… Do you grease the muffin tin?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Nichelle–You can if you want! It wouldn't hurt anything and it could help if your dough's a little on the soft side.

Nichelle_Nichole says:

Thanks Kate!

I did make these and too thought they would probably make about 24. Maybe The dough needs to really be punched down? I just had trouble getting them into my regular muffin tins! They were absolutely delicious.. and they are great warmed back up in the microwave the next day. My husband has requested them again for dinner tonight!

Shannon & Tyler says:

quick question…. I am making these right now, literally in the oven! Just wondering one thing- In the recipe it says to save the egg white for later. I didnt come across the part where is says what to do with the egg white. Can you help? Thanks!

PS- I just ordered your cookbook. I guess I should say, I pre-ordered it. I Cant wait to get it! : )
    Shannon

Paige says:

I made these last night to go with a glazed pork tenderloin, zucchini fries, and the asian cabbage salad. The salad was FANTASTIC, the tenderloin was great, but these delicious-sounding things proved problematic, to say the least. I sprayed the muffin pan with non-stick spray… and during the baking of these (and the zucchini fries), the butter spread melted onto the pan… and then dripped down to the bottom of the oven… which started a grease fire, of sorts… and since we are in the process of moving, we didn't have any fire extinguishers on hand. So much for the romantic dinner, but at least it was a memorable first Valentine's Day!

BellsNWhistles says:

I made these last week. O. My. WORD.!!!!! There is NOTHING little about these. This was THE BEST thing I have made in a long time. THANK YOU for posting! I did use some granulated garlic and fresh garlic in place of the seasoning, as I wasn't sure what was in your seasoning. YUM!

I wanted to edit this, but ended up deleting it accidentally, but I agree with the poster above me about the grease fire. Its ok though, because my oven was due for a good cleaning anyway and THESE WERE SO WORTH IT!!!

JulieH says:

These were awesome! Next time I will make a double batch though because we couldn't stop eating them they're so good. I was surprised that they were so easy to make and turned out so nicely, bread never turns out well for me. We had them with the Sunday beef stew.

The Contes says:

I made these for my husband for our Valentine's dinner. They were divine! If carbs weren't so dangerous I would make these all the time! LOL :)

Robbi says:

First, these look great! Thanks! Couple of questions though. 1. what kind of yeast? I'm using rapid rise yeast, would I still use a tablespoon? 2. what kind of flour? I'm assuming all-purpose since it's not stated. But was wondering if I should use bread flour? THANKS, these look great!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Robbi–Yep, just use regular, rapid rise yeast and all-purpose flour! Hope that helps! :)

Kristen Gross says:

I made these last night and they were AMAZING. I had company over and my husband made the comment that I better not make these unless we have company because we will end up being 600 pounds! Needless to say that there were none left. I did bake mine in a metal 9×13 instead of the muffin pan, cause I don’t like how the muffin pan makes the bottom of the rolls harder. The 9×13 pan helped with that. But overall I am so excited to get the book (it should be here this week!) I will be trying more recipes soon! Thanks!!!

Allison says:

I’m making these today and can’t wait to taste them!
    One question – they only have to raise the second time until the oven is ready? Or do they need to double in size?
    Thanks :)

Allison–yeah, just until the oven is ready. If they rise too much, they’ll pop out of the tins and the cheese will ooze out everywhere. :)

Allison says:

I think I just answered my question . . . I put them in when the oven was ready and they are raising just fine in the oven! They are huge! Would it be possible to make 18 rolls instead of 12 with this recipe?

Can I just say this recipe is AWESOME OH MY!!!! I made these last week to go with meat balls and spaghetti and let me say my guests LOVED them!!!!! It will be made again and again…. Well when company comes or I will be wearing them on my backside!!!

Nancy

Noa says:

I made a double batch and after reading the comments, cut them a little thinner so I cooked them a shorter amount of time. I can’t wait to take them to pot luck tomorrow with speghetti & meatballs (if I don’t eat them all tonight).

Sara says:

OMG!! These rolls are HEAVEN! I fixed them to go with lasagna for Bunco and they were so good. I also love, love, love the way they bake up when you make them in the muffin tins! Great recipe…YUM!!

Alicia says:

These rolls are so good. I’ve made them twice now and everyone says that they are their favorite things ever!

Michelle says:

Just got your cookbook for Mother’s Day, and this was the first recipe I tried. They seemed too big to fit in muffin tins; so I baked them in a pan like regular cinnamon rolls. Everyone LOVED them! My seven year old son begged me to make these for dinner every night. Can’t wait to try more recipes. Thanks!

Jacki says:

these are great! I changed up the order of ingredients in the dough to work in my bread machine, and then made the whole recipe of garlic bread seasoning, added that to the stick of butter, but then only used half of the butter/seasoning spread. So, lots of flavor, less butter. Also, I used an Italian mixture of cheeses, and not a lot. Baked them in an 8 x 11 dish. Despite all of that, these turned out just lovely, and my whole family loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

Bethany says:

Loved these, they were perfect!! Made them just he way you said and will definitely make them again!

Laura H says:

This was really good as a bread stick! I needed a bread stick for a party and this turned out great! Thanks :)

Bridget says:

These look amazing! I’m wondering if they are still good hours later? I’m thinking about making them for Thanksgiving but will not be able to serve them straight out the oven. Do you know? Thanks!

Yep! And you could always pop them in the oven for a few minutes so they’re warm and melty all over again before you serve them. :)

Ali says:

Love these…so great.

Brittany says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! It was so good! I also shared it on my blog as well, I thought I’d let you know: http://brittsapron.blogspot.com/2012/05/cheesy-garlic-bread-swirls.html

Bonny says:

When do you use the egg whites?

Kristen Ridge says:

Hello—

I’m wondering if you are claiming this recipe as your own. I have the exact same recipe in a cookbook of mine—it seems hard to believe the recipe could be created in exact duplicate form as a coincidence.

Kristen Ridge says:

Hello again–

When I looked more closely, I noticed a few small differences between your recipe and the one I have.

eloise says:

hey all! wondering if these could be made in mini muffin tins…

eloise says:

Nope! dont try making these in a mini pan… just made these… they are HUGE! i made 24.

Meg says:

oh wow!!! These were SO good! All of us were kind of dying over them with our spaghetti tonight. I cut the butter in half and the garlic seasoning, and it still tastes fabulous, with a little bit less fat. That made me feel better when I ate three of them:) Love!

[...] show inspired me to make THESE garlic and cheese dinner rolls.  Billy did say they are the best things that he has ever [...]

Tanetti says:

Made these tonight and cut a LOT of the fat out–used only 1 T. oil instead of 3, used about half the shredded cheese, halved the garlic bread seasoning, and maybe 1/4 of the butter (it still seemed like a LOT). I rolled them the wrong way, so they were hideously fat but still very tasty (I don’t care for greasy, rich stuff like this, so my variation was just the ticket with some tomato soup and a salad). Next time I’ll make it into 18 or 24–at 220 calories apiece even with the adjusted ingredients! I’ll definitely make the seasoning again–it was awesome–maybe for a chicken Parm coating!

Stephanie says:

Oh dear! I am making these, but I am on a time-line. How long is the second rise? (after placed in muffin tin while oven pre-heats…) Thank you for your help. I am googling other recipes to see…I am sure it is around the same time, right? Holy floured covered keyboard!!

Faith says:

Y’all should be ashamed of yourselves. These are so dadgum good I feel like they ruined my life. :) Seriously tho… Everything I’ve ever made of yours is hands-down-drop-dead-good, but these… These make me want to slap my momma. And my neighbor’s momma. And her momma. They make me feel like maybe there’s a hope for our future and that maybe, just maybe, everything is gonna be okay.

-your biggest, and only getting bigger, thanks to these terribly wonderful rolls, fan… Faith <3

Pdottreats says:

We love these! One of my go to recipes. Just a reminder to add the flour slowly and sparingly. Last time I made them, I only needed about 3 1/2 cups flour.