Tis the season for goodies and it seems like people are always looking for quick and easy ones. It recently came to my attention that not everyone in the world has been introduced to the pretzel turtle and that’s just a cryin’ shame! This is possibly the easiest little goodie you’ll come across. They can be made in about 10 minutes and with only 3 ingredients. However here I’ll show you my little twists to take them a notch up and make them cooler than everyone else’s pretzel turtles. Because at Christmas time it’s all about one-upping everyone else, right?? Kidding people, kidding. Really though, these are great for satisfying your own sweet tooth or for making to give away. Either way they’ll be gone in a flash!
Rolo candies – one bag has about 55 candies
Pecan halves – or optionally peanuts, cashews, and m&m’s
Optional: almond bark or white chocolate for drizzling
This is easy as can be! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place pretzels on a parchment lined baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper for easy handling, but you can also put them on foil, a silpat, or directly onto the cookie sheet.
Unwrap your Rolo candies and place one on top of each pretzel like a cute little hat.
Don’t they look like they’re just standing there waiting for an order? At least someone in my house stands at attention because heaven knows my children don’t!
Place pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Any longer is probably too long. You just want the chocolate on the outside to look glossy and melty, but they should still hold their shape.
Remove pan from oven and take a pecan and gently press it right into the center of the chocolate candy.
Here’s where you can be creative. You don’t need to stick to pecan halves. I also love cashews and peanuts (I used honey roasted peanuts here). And for kiddos and those who can’t eat nuts or don’t like them, M&M’s make a great little topper, or those mini Hershey’s kissables are cute too. I always throw a few of those in for color and because the kids like them. And if it’s not Christmas time, use the colorful ones- they’re adorable!
If you want to get fancy you can give them a little drizzle of almond bark or white chocolate. Just melt some in a plastic baggie and nip the corner off to drizzle. A little goes a long way; I used a half a square of almond bark for half a batch and had plenty left over.
Now definitely do yourself a favor and eat a few of these babies warm off the pan. Mmmm… Wait for the rest to cool and harden before you pack or plate them up. I pop them in the fridge because I stink at the whole patience thing.
Also fun for parties to do them with all M&M’s on top. Kids love how colorful and fun these are:
These are so cute that I love to package them in little peep-window boxes. You can grab some off of Amazon, or craft stores like Michaels.
- Small pretzels
- Rolo candies – one bag has about 55 candies
- Pecan halves – or optionally peanuts, cashews, Hershey's kisses, M&Ms, or Reese's Pieces
- Optional: almond bark or white chocolate for drizzling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place pretzels on lined baking sheet. (Works well with a silpat, tin foil, or parchment paper).
- Unwrap your Rolo candies and place one on top of each pretzel.
- Place pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes; until chocolate on the outside to looks glossy and melty.
- Remove pan from oven and take a pecan, peanut, chocolate candy, Hershey's kiss, or whatever else you desire, and gently press it right into the center of the chocolate candy.
- Enjoy a few warm, then wait to cool and harden before you pack or plate them up.
- Great tip: To drizzle, just melt some almond bark in a plastic baggie and nip the corner off for a homemade piping bag. A little goes a long way; I used a half a square of almond bark for half a batch and had plenty left over.
Click Here to see our top 20 favorites all in one place!