First of all, we have some kind of exciting news that has just kind of slipped under the radar. Check this out:

Yep, Sara and I are now officially calendar girls. I wish it were more scandalous than 12 brand-new recipes that we’re really, really proud of, but alas, it’s not. It is officially released today and you can find it here or here (and probably other places, but I can’t tell you where those places might be…)

So yeah, guess who still doesn’t have a kitchen? Me! It brings me more happiness than I can possibly describe. I have eaten a lot of fast food. Like to the point where the thought of one more drive-thru makes me sick. I am having literal fantasies of Tortellini Sausage Soup and Breadsticks–we’re hoping to have our appliances installed by Saturday night and it is already scheduled as the very first meal cooked in our new kitchen. Not a 100% finished kitchen, but at least functional, which is all I care about right now.

We’re close enough to being done with our kitchen (and now dining room) remodel that if I showed you pictures now, it would make the grand unveiling less dramatic (although the term “grand unveiling” is pretty dramatic in and of itself). But remember the red wall that’s been the backdrop of so many of my pictures? Here’s a little sneakity peak of what’s been going on in my dining room:

And yes, those would be the ingredients for today’s recipe (nice segue, right?) I found myself in quite a pickle leading up to this post because while my kitchen was semi-functional earlier this week (access to some dishes, my countertops, a toaster oven, a tomato knife, a microwave, and the non-disposal side of my sink), my husband is slowly setting the tile floor, so my options became drastically more limited. So I thought, “Hey, let’s do a craft!” Which quickly turned into, “Hey, the dog chewed up my Silhouette vinyl!” So I needed to find a recipe that involved very few kitchen tools, no cooking, minimal clean-up, and no usage of large mixing bowls. It could, however, involve my washer and dryer because those bad boys are hooked up.

What does that leave us with? 7-Layer Dip. Just in time for football season. I know, you’re saying, “Who needs a recipe for  7-layer dip?!” We-ell, first of all, this isn’t your grandma’s 7-Layer Dip, it’s more like 8 1/2-Layer Dip with a Twist of Lime, but that wasn’t super catchy.

Start by spreading a 28-oz. can of refried beans into a large serving plate or a 9×13″ baking dish.

You can add the rest of the ingredients in whatever order speaks to you the most, but after the beans, I added a layer of guacamole. It kind of looks like a sad pie, right? This time around, I used store-bought guacamole because of the no-mixing stipulation, but if you want to make your own, click here for our favorite recipe.

Then, instead of tomatoes, I added a layer of pico de gallo. This is where things start to get wild–I think the garlic lime-iness of the pico makes this dip pop just a little bit more.

Then I mixed a packet of taco seasoning with 16 ounces of sour cream (light sour cream is completely fine) and spread it over the tomatoes.

Then I added  about 2 bunches of chopped green onions…

and a large can of olives, chopped.

Then I added a sprinkling of cilantro

and I squeezed the juice of a whole lime over everything. Then I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese and some crumbled queso fresco (or cotija cheese) on top of everything. I pondered how hard it is to take a decent pictures of 8 1/2-Layer Dip with a Twist of Lime Doctored Up 7-Layer Dip. Took a chip and scooped up some of the dip and pondered some more (and, consequently, the dip became harder and harder to photograph. Oops.)

one of my french friends saw this recipe on my own blog and she actually made it as the main course for a fun friday night meal!! yum, yum! as always your photos are gorgeous!

Karan says:

This sounds so good. I love dips like this for when grandkids are around. Though I do not care for guacamole I can eat it in a layered dip. ( I think it is the green color that really is what I do not like) lol Will have to give it a try. Got a granddaughter coming today for the week end and I know she loves things like this.

Karan

Hillari says:

You ladies make everything look so easy!

I love the additions to the traditional 7-layer dip, and I cannot wait to try it!

I believe this dip has just made its way onto my game day menu for tomorrow. Looks awesome! And the calendar looks fantastically cute.

We’re HUGE football (and Mexican food) fanatics at my house…so guess what just made the list for food this weekend?!?! I don’t know why I never thought to add cilantro to this dish before–I add it to every other Mexican dish I make! Thanks for the post (and can’t WAIT to see the new kitchen!).

Patti says:

I am so excited for the calendar! Woohoo! I’m hoping my sister doesn’t even know about it yet so I can surprise her with one for her birthday in about a week (and I also hope she isn’t reading this comment!). I am also excited to see your fabulous new kitchen :)

Patti, I was 100% expecting some snide cilantro comments from you. You disappointed me. :)

• Becky says:

:) My grandma thinks cilantro tastes like laundry soap!! I don’t know how she can differentiate between laundry soap and regular, but I love cilantro and make most of my mex foods extra soapy!! ;)

Katelyn Jensen says:

I was using google yesterday to try and find a good 7 layer bean dip!!! You are a MIND READER!! THANKS!

Sam says:

So when I make this I mix the taco seasoning in with the beans instead of the sour cream. I think without it the beans are kind of plain. My family loves it!

Amy C says:

I LOVE 7 layer dip! This sounds de.lic.ious!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Amberly says:

This looks so good! I’m excited to try it!

Megan says:

Holy cow yum…I always forget how much I love 7 layer dip and then something reminds me and it’s the only thing I can think about. This looks exactly like what I’ll be having for dinner!

Katie C says:

A calendar?! What a fantastic idea!

This looks great!! And I personally think 8 1/2 Layer Dip with a Twist of Lime is an extremely catchy name :) Also, the colours on your site make me happy every time I visit.

Chelsey H. says:

This looks so awesome!!! I make 7 layer dip all the time for get togethers and I can’t wait to try this! You guys are wonderful!

Laura says:

This looks yummy! And I appreciate doctored-up-by-kate-and-sara classic recipes. I know they’ll DEFINITELY be more delicious than the “usual”.

Becky says:

I don’t like refried beans much, but I saw Ellie Kreger’s 5 layer dip used black beans mashed up, so maybe I’ll try this but with y’all’s black bean recipe pureéd. Also, I can’t stand sour cream, so I use 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 cream cheese along with a taco packet in my 7 layer dip. Also, it seems to last longer at parties when I make it in a jelly roll pan and just make it super thin layers… LOVE this idea with the pico instead of boring old styrofoam tomatoes in the winter!!

Oh my word, this totally has me craving that dip and some football. Last weekend was pretty intense for college football, am I right?? And congrats on the calendar!

Hope says:

adding lime and cilantro will make ANY recipe better! thanks for the idea! i’ll be making this for our football watching this weekend!

Hillary says:

I’m not usually a huge fan of 7 layer dip… but this looks amazing… and Kate… when I was about 10 my parents decided to remodel our entire first floor. We ate of the master bathroom for 9 months with a mini fridge, toaster oven and microwave. We ate out a lot, so I feel your pain!

Love this! Layered dips are my fav :)

Gail VW says:

This is one of those slap my forehead and say why didn’t I think of that kind of recipes. The pico, cilantro and lime are such an obviously good choice. The rest is exactly how I do it already. Thanks for sharing.

Megan says:

I’m SO excited about getting your calendar! My husband and I have basically become OBB fanatics since coming across your blog 5 months ago or so. We make your recipes almost every night a week…I just can’t get away from them :) Thanks for so many amazing recipes (complete with pictures- I love knowing what everything is supposed to look like…makes it so much easier)! :)

Congrats on the calendar! I can’t wait to pick one up. I have the perfect spot in my kitchen that I hang a wall calendar every year and of course a recipe calendar (filled with Our Best Bites recipes) should have the honor to fill the space!

Clarissa says:

The calendar looks great! I already have your cookbook on my wishlist for Christmas, guess I’ll just have to add the calendar, too! I want the calendar just for the recipe of that cake! Peppermint, chocolate just in time for the holidays!

Paisley says:

My Mom’s recipe is nearly identical, with one exception – she adds crumbled bacon. I know OBB LOVES bacon, so I thought I would let everyone know that it is definitely a ‘secret ingredient’ in this type of layer dip. Even though bacon doesn’t usually scream, ‘Mexican,’ it is delicious!

Sonya zagorski says:

Love the calendar and recipe. I willl make it for tomorrow’s football game. However, I MUST HAVE THE NAME OF PAINT COLOR! It looks soooooo creamy just like butter.

Sonya, you have no idea how I’ve agonized over this color! Like I said, it was a dark, dark red before and it made the room feel all dark and cave-y and I knew I wanted something lighter, I just didn’t know what kind of light it should be. Anyway, I finally settled on yellow and then proceeded to get, like, 20 different yellow paint chips (I truly make my husband crazy when it comes to paint), taped them up on the wall, and every single person in my family picked this one (which is what I was silently rooting for). Once we got the paint, EVERYONE doubted me and now everyone (the contractor, the painter, the electrician, the electrician’s wife) wants to use it! So…to make a VERY long story short, we used Valspar Homestead Resort Tea Room Yellow here with Valspar Bright White on the trim and the wainscoting that nearly ruined my marriage (not really) and Valspar Betsy’s Linen on the ceiling, which I have decided is the loveliest white of all the whites in the paint department… :)

Katie W. says:

So is there anything I can use in place of the olives? I love the dip but the hubby and I aren’t big olive fans. Thoughts?

Oh, and when I click on the link to Amazon for the calendar, I get the page to your book and it says “out of print – limited availability”. Say it isn’t so?!!?!

Mary says:

Kate-part of what makes this blog fantastic is your hilarity! How do you keep this all up with such a huge home project? You rock girl!

Melissa B says:

Your calendar looks great!

and the recipe looks awesome! Im going to have to try it soon!

westcoastsoul says:

Mmm looks delicious! I love those kinds of dips :D

Liz says:

If you want to add even more flavor and deliciousness next time you make this dip…use Frito Lay bean dip in place of the refried beans! So, so good. You will never go back to the plain ol’ refried bean again. I promise.

Natalie says:

you had me at cilantro…then lime…then…I’m salivating :)

Natalie says:

Thank you so much for that recipe. I love 7 layer dip but honestly I have been needing something to spice it up a bit! This is perfect to do the job :D

Elizabeth says:

Have you ever tried cooking your layer dip? I know it sounds totally nast, but it’s actually very good. There’s a recipe in a cookbook called “Creme de Colorado” where you layer the beans, then equal parts mayo/sourcream mixed together, then chopped avocado mixed with lemon juice, pico, cheese, then chopped green onions and some olives. Cook it for 30 minutes at 350. Serious awesomeness. College Football food for sure.

I love you girls…your cookbook is amazing and I can’t wait to get your calendar!

Mindy says:

Love! Congrats on your calendar – good work, ladies!

Brittany says:

Woo hoo! I can’t decide if I’m more excited about your new calender or this amazing dip! I remember making 7 layer dip with you when we were young and hungry for something yummy to eat while we watched our chick flicks. You have obviously taken this dip to the next level and I can’t wait to try it! :)

Amy says:

one of the girls made this for our bookclub last night right after seeing this post, it was great! yum yum!

OK, so AWESOME on the calendar!!! That is SO cool!

And now, I really, REALLY want this dip. I mean, really. Adding the pico…brilliant! Bring on the football!

Laura says:

Hooray for more recipes! I can’t wait to get your calendar. I have nearly made every recipe in your cookbook and every single one has been fantastic! I have recommended your cookbook to everyone I know and we can’t wait for you to do another one!!! (hint hint – no pressure though) :)

Marti says:

OMG This looks and sounds fabulous!!! Can’t wait to try it!

garysgirl says:

This looks great, Kate! I love seven layer dips! :))

Jessica says:

This was really great! Everyone loved the addition of the guac. I made the guacamole and the pico using your recipes as well. I’ve never made 7-layer dip, guac, or pico before…but as always, your thorough directions made it easy! By the way, I think there’s a mistake in the printable directions. It calls for a 16 oz can of olives, but the biggest I saw was 6 oz and that was plenty. Oh, and how do I cut up a jalapeno without my hands burning for hours later??

Karen says:

We were having people over to watch football and I saw this online…it sounded delicious, so I decided to make this version. It was amazing! The best 7 layer dip I’ve ever had. The cilantro is a beautiful touch…gives it such a fresh flavor – also love the salsa. I also made your guacamole and it too tasted delicious. Keep up the good work ladies!

Jennifer Mills says:

Very very very good… some of my guests just used a spoon !!!!!

Sierra says:

I thought most taco seasoning packets contained gluten?

[...] my quest for enjoyment, I’m seriously becoming a foodie online. I found this delicious doctored-up 7-layer dip that I just have to make. And for dessert: Nutella sandwich cookies. [...]

Shannon says:

Made this for a work party this week. Oddly enough, I have never made Mexican Layer Dip before so I was a bit nervous. I left off the olives because I just really don’t like those little things. I also added a thin layer of shredded slaw mix that I chopped up some more because a friend of mine that used to make this used it in hers. It give a bit of crunch like lettuce without the concern of the lettuce getting soggy. Most people never had any clue she used the shredded cabbage instead. Genius! Anyway, I should have learned my lesson time and again with the recipes from your site… it was delish! People raved over it!! It is so good, I am making it again this weekend for an Open House we are having. Thanks yet again!

[…] Doctored-up 7-layer dip – our best bites […]