tangy creamy low-fat avocado dip from Our Best BitesHave you ever found yourself wandering through Costco or Sam’s Club, nibbling on samples as you play consumer Tetris with your shopping cart and the 6-pack of toilet bowl cleaner, the 3 giant boxes of Fat Boys (glory hallelujah, they found their way to Louisiana), that bag of chocolate covered pomegranate somethings that you sampled and decided that you needed, and then massive amounts of produce because it’s all so pretty and you feel super awesome loading up your cart with all these fresh fruits and veggies (yes, I can hear the keyboard clicks now talking about the evils of buying produce from big box stores and how those big, fat strawberries and juicy golden peaches were actually harvested by Satan himself and how I should be buying organic, local produce. True story: there is literally no organic local produce where I live right now. So it’s Sam’s Club or scurvy.) And then you get home and realize that you have a 12-pack of mangoes and 7 pounds of strawberries and a whole mess of avocados that are perfectly ripe, which means that by the time you wake up tomorrow, they will be overripe and yucky.

And then you remember a post you saw on Two Peas and Their Pod for a creamy, yogurty avocado dip. And you can’t find the recipe because you’re running on about 3 brain cells, so you try to remember what was in it and start throwing things together. And you’re not sure if it was right or not, but you ARE sure that it’s delicious and an amazing dip for your favorite carbs or veggies or for spooning into the pork carnitas you made for dinner. And the best part is that it’s full of things that are good for you–good fats from the avocados, protein and probiotics and no fat from the yogurt, deliciousness from the garlic and spices and lime juice.

You’re going to need cilantro, garlic, fat free plain Greek yogurt, and 2 large, ripe avocados.

tangy avocado dip yogurt avocado cilantro garlicand then you’re going to need 1 green onion, ground cumin, ground coriander, the juice of 1 lime, and Tabasco sauce.

creamy avocado dip spices

Combine all the ingredients except for the cilantro in the jar of your blender or in a container you can use your immersion blender with.

creamy avocado dip ingredients in blender

Blend until smooth. Then add about 1/4 cup cilantro (a small handful) and pulse until it’s incorporated and is the size/texture that you want. Season with kosher salt and Tabasco sauce to taste. If possible, refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before serving.

Creamy tangy low-fat avocado dip from Our Best Bites

Sarah Moran says:

I don’t know if I’ll ever make this because avocados aren’t my favorite food ever, but I just have to tell you that your “Sam’s Club or scurvy” line made me giggle. Thanks for making my morning bright!

This looks really good! My family loves guacamole, so this will be a nice change to mix it up a little bit. Thanks!

Sometimes we just have to buy our produce wherever we can get it in a reasonably quick way. I don’t always have time to drive to the big city to visit Whole Foods or other fancy stores for organic produce either. We do our best!

Rebecca says:

Thanks for keeping it real, Kate. :) It is a local teeny tiny grocery store for us or scurvy here too. And, the avocado dip looks delicious.

Ellie says:

Looks delicious and I have some avocados that would be just right for this today. How long do you think it will keep in the fridge?

We are a costco produce family. There are 8 of us so we can finish those amounts in no time and sometimes it’s just not economical to worry about being all organic and earth friendly. And Costco is literally in my back yard, so I am green by driving to my very most local store instead of driving 15 miles to buy produce that wasn’t driven as far before it got to the store. It all balances out. :-)

I’m guessing it would be good for about 3 days (it’s never lasted that long for us… :) )

Melenie says:

Ain’t nothing wrong with Costco produce! This looks delicious, and I have a ripe (Costco) avocado just begging to be used up.

This is probably really inappropriate on a post about tangy avocado, but I’d just like to say that I’ve got your Mint Brownies in the oven from your first cookbook…I don’t think they’ll make it to Young Womens tonight. Sorry girls.

Megan says:

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha! “Sam’s club or scurvy…” My favourite part of this whole day.

meredith says:

I’ve made that same trip to Costco countless times!!
    LOvE your rollover ingredient posts SO much :-) thanks

adrienne w says:

Looks so good! I LOVE avocados. And I also love those pretzel crisps you have pictured with them, so perfect combo. I always get a good laugh at your posts that anticipate the “crazy” responses you’ll get!

Jenny says:

Yes please! Definitely going to be making this in the near future. And (another unrelated comment here, but) we just made your baked oatmeal and it was loved by the whple family (which is a huge sucess these days). Needless to say, we’ll be doubling the recipe and making it on a weekly basis from now on. :)

Andrea says:

I wan to hear more about these carnitas….. looks delish

Andrea says:

Ugh!

Stacey Peterson says:

There actually is local organic produce in Alexandria — Inglewood Farms. They have a produce market on Tuesdays and Saturdays and a CSA. Just picked up my share yesterday. They also just started organic pork. Bought a pork belly last week and made homemade bacon (it was delicious!!). Here is the link: http://inglewoodfarm.com/

Andrea says:

“yes, I can hear the keyboard clicks now talking about the evils of buying produce from big box stores and how those big, fat strawberries and juicy golden peaches were actually harvested by Satan himself and how I should be buying organic, local produce”

Hilarious!

Alyssa D says:

This looks delish! I wonder if it will freeze well??

Oh my word. Sam’s Club or scurvy and consumer tetris are the reason I got out of bed this morning. Hilarious!

Stacey Peterson says:

Kate — yep, I work at P&G. I just moved here from Cincinnati in September. Yeah, they have lots of kale right now :-) It is limited to cool weather crops during the spring. So far, I have received collards, braising mix, carrots, green garlic, turnips, rutabagas, beets, cabbage, spring mix, brussels sprouts….and kale. Good thing I like kale!

Also, if you are familiar with Bountiful Baskets — there is a location in Leesville, LA. Not exactly around the corner, but worth the drive every 2 weeks. Have you ever ordered meats from Zaycon Foods? I have heard lots of positive comments about them and have ham, sausage, and chicken breasts on order. Again, no locations in Alex, so I have to drive to Lafayette for the ham/sausage event and to Grayson for the chicken.

Kayla says:

I just bought some avocados and had no idea what I was going to do with them. Now I do!! Thanks so much. This looks delicious!

Maria says:

Glad you liked our dip!

Linda says:

I thought I hated “guac” until I made your guacamole..it’s in my fridge now. Can’t wait to try this recipe, I am an avocado addict now. And I sat down to read your post with some of those pomegranite chocolate thingys in my mouth, yum

Diane says:

You are hilarious!

Pam says:

Looks so good. I wasn’t going to comment but I couldn’t help laughing outloud at the “Tetris” reference. I’m sure I will think of that every time I go there from now on. Love Costco produce. I always stalk up when we travel there (an hour and a half away) as our small hometown grocery has very limited amounts of fresh produce and only on Wednesday when the freight comes it.

Looks so good! Now I’m going to crave avocados all night. I usually mash them by hand, but I’m going to try then in the food processor. Thanks for the great recipe.

Ang says:

I made this tonight and served it on burgers with bacon and pepper jack. So very very tasty. Thanks! And thanks for the laugh this morning. I needed that. :-)

Chobani says:

That’s what happens to us for SO many recipes. It usually works out well while cooking/making dips, but baking we’ve definitely had some mishaps. ;) This dip looks wonderful! Avocado anything has our attention…especially when combined w/ CHO! Thanks for sharing.

Amy
    @Chobani

Debbie says:

I just received your new cookbook. It looks as wonderful as the first!

Cassie says:

Just decided that for as much as I rely on comments for additional advice or recommendations after they have tried a recipe, that I should do the same. Saw this posted yesterday afternoon and promptly made it for dinner. I slathered it on my enchiladas and the kids and I all loved dunking our carrot and celery sticks in it. I have a few kids a little wary of guacamole, but this went over very well. Super easy and will be a go to dip for us from now on!

Brandie says:

LOL!! This dip looks delish!! Thanks for the laugh!

Wendy Perkins says:

Consumer Tetris, I love it! Unfortunately I’m the only one in my household that will eat anything with avocado in it. Can you believe it? No huge bags of avocados from Costco for this gal. Now, strawberries are another story…

Blond Duck says:

We live 100 miles from Mexico, and our avacados are overripe or too hard! You can’t win!

Crystal says:

Just got a bag of avocados from Costco and made this. Success!!! Thank you for a great recipe!! YUM!

garysgirl says:

I’m all about keeping it real, too. :) We never buy organic anything-too $$ and too time consuming to find it! This dip looks yummy!

Kami says:

This looks like a great GREEN food for St. Patty’s Day coming up! Thanks!