mint pineapple pico de gallo0I remember a few times when I was a kid and my parents went to Hawaii sans children. I  thought that was super rude, not only because they visited a tropical paradise while the rest of us did the whole Logan, Utah winter thing (it’s a thing, I promise), but also that they thought it was okay to leave us (I kind of get that now…) When my parents came back, though, they always came laden with fresh pineapple from Hawaii because buying a whole pineapple on this side of the Pacific Ocean was prohibitively expensive (totally unlike their trip to Hawaii…still.not.bitter…) in those days. So it’s always kind of a shock to my system when I’m at the grocery store and I see whole fresh pineapples for, like, $1.87 each and I feel like I have to buy 22 of them and hoard them in Gollum-like fashion.

We have an awesome recipe for pineapple salsa in our new cookbook, but this one’s a bit different–it’s always good to have more than one way to use up those 22 precious pineapples. You’re going to need a pound of fresh pineapple (if you’re using a whole pineapple, that’s a pound after you get it to a point where you could eat it without seriously harming yourself), a jalapeno, fresh cilantro, fresh mint, a small red onion, a lime, and some garlic.

mint pineapple pico de gallo0

Mince the garlic, red onion, the jalapeno (seeded if you’re worried about heat, which I am) and toss them together in a small mixing bowl.

mint pineapple pico de gallo1

Chop the pineapple into small pieces and add it to the mixture.

mint pineapple pico de gallo2

Squeeze the lime juice over the pineapple and season it with salt to taste. If possible, allow it to stand for 30 minutes before serving. You can serve this with tortilla chips or so many Asian and Latin recipes, especially ones that are cooked on the grill (and stay tuned for a few recipes in the near future where you can use this up!)

mint pineapple pico de gallo3_edited-1

Heather Wright says:

This would also be really tasty on salmon. Yummy.

Tieghan says:

I am pineapple crazed at the moment so I cant wait to try this!

Natalie says:

This looks yummy! I cannot have fresh pineapple. Is there a way that I can do canned?
    Thanks!

Jamie says:

SOOO glad I’m not the only one who feels the need to hoard pineapples when they’re on sale for $1.98 each. Speaking of, I have a bunch in the fridge that needs to be consumed so this recipe is timely. I’m also planning on making pineapple marmalade someday soon. MUST make the most of this bounty! = )

I love how winter in Logan, Utah is a thing. It is definitely a thing. Love your recipes!

maren says:

I’m not a fan of mint. Do you think I could just use all cilantro?

eric says:

that looks awesome!

I love in Logan and you are correct about the winters. I love every ingredient in this recipe, so I think I will add it to the menu. Yum!

Katie says:

A) Winter in Logan is not just a thing, it’s a brutal, icky thing.
    B) Now that I live in AZ, I can’t believe how much people pay for produce in other parts of the country. I won’t buy pineapple until it’s 99 cents. Which happens quite a bit, then I feel the need to hoard it as well.

Jamie Younker says:

Logan winters ARE a thing! A terrible thing! I’m in Logan, and it’s miserably wet and cold today… and it’s APRIL!

As for this salsa- I just so happen to have a pineapple on my counter and a bag of chips in my pantry. Guess I know what I’ll be munching on during my Gilmore Girls marathon on this drizzly day.

Michelle says:

Just wondering if you have any specific and tasty serving suggestions? THANKS!

I love it on the pork carnitas, chicken tacos, you could serve it with the Caribbean-rubbed pork chops, either one of the fish tacos, or with tortilla chips. Hope that helps!

Judy says:

I also love the flavor of jalapeno but can’t take the heat. Here’s what I learned regarding hot peppers of all kinds:
    1/2 of the heat is in that pithy stuff that sticks out of the inside of the flesh of the pepper in strips that run from top to bottom. I’ve also heard it called veins. 1/4 of the heat is from the seeds & the final 1/4 is in the meat of the pepper. Virtually all of the flavor is in the meat. So if you remove the seeds & the pith & then use just the flesh you get very little heat & a lot of flavor.

Chris says:

Yes, winter in Logan is a “thing”. It snowed last night – April 8! And this recipe looks fabulous! I will make it to bring a little sunshine to Cache Valley! Thanks!

Shaynee says:

This sounds so good, and I can’t eat raw tomatoes, so it’s prefect for me! Thanks for sharing!!!

Nan says:

This was very yummy! It was delicious in taco salad. Thanks for another good one!

Megan says:

Just made me a bowl……yummy! I love fresh pico and the mint and pineapple combination is amazing!