square pineapple upside down french toast1Is May pretty much the craziest month for everyone else or is it just me?! If I had not been a twitterpated idiot 12 years ago when I was engaged, I nevereverever would have chosen to get married in May because I would have thought about practical things like end-of-the-year parties and celebrations, graduations, dance recitals, and the series finale of The Office. But alas, here we are, squeezing in a grocery store bouquet of flowers and a quick peck on the cheek between applying makeup to my 5-year-old and zipping her into her pink furry cropped jacket. Yep, that happened.

So yeah, this has been a crazy month, and it’s not over yet. But 12 years of marriage deserves a little celebration, right? This idea has been rattling around in my brain for a long time. Sara and I have both kind of talked about that lightning bolt of  inspiration and it was kind of funny how this happened. I was all set to do just a caramel overnight French toast, but I wasn’t totally content with that idea. And then, literally right before I made it, my friend asked me what the pineapple on my counter was for and, to quote Emeril, BAM. I knew what I was going to do and that it was going to be awesome. And it was.

This LOOKS like a lot of steps, but it’s actually very easy and you also make it hours before, so that helps you not want to inflict self-harm with a bowlful of broken eggshells. You’re going to need brown sugar, butter, corn syrup (like Karo syrup, light or dark), about 3 cups of pineapple (fresh, if you can get your hands on it, rings if you can make them, but don’t stress too much either way), Italian bread, softened cream cheese (light works fine, but at this point, who’s counting??), eggs, and vanilla.

pineapple upside down french toast ingredients

Line a 9×13″ baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

lined baking sheet

Line the bottom of the pan with a single layer of pineapple (there will be some left over). Set aside.

pineapple in pan

In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a low boil and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Drizzle over the pineapple layer and set aside.

caramel sauce over pineapple

Chop remaining pineapple. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the chopped pineapple

pineapple cream cheese filling

until smooth and combined. Spread a layer of cream cheese over one slice of bread

cream cheese filling on bread

and top it with another and place on top of the pineapple layer. Repeat with remaining bread, filling the pan (you may use more or less depending on what size of bread you use. You also may have some cream cheese leftover. That’s okay. That’s what rubber spatulas are for.) When the pan has been filled, set aside.

In another small mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla, and remaining brown sugar.

egg and milk mixture

Whisk together well and slowly pour over the bread.

french toast in pan

Add a light sprinkling of cinnamon and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Refrigerate overnight.

To cook, preheat oven to 350. Place the pan into the oven and bake uncovered for 30-50 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the center is solid. Yes, I do realize that’s a huge window of time; keep in mind I have a gas oven and it cooks nothing like an electric oven, so I don’t want to lead you astray. That said, mine was done around the 40-45 minute mark. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully invert the pan onto a serving tray or baking sheet. Cut into squares and serve. Makes 10-12 small servings or 8-10 large ones.

Pineapple upside down French toast stuffed with sweetened pineapple cream cheese from Our Best Bites!

Tieghan says:

Oh my gosh!! This sound awesome! I love pineapple!

Ellie says:

So if you were going to do caramel french toast would you make it the same way and just leave out the pineapple? I”m not a huge pineapple upside-down fan, but the cream cheese filling and brown-sugar-turns-into-caramel parts sound awesome. (Sorry! Don’t you hate comments that say, “your recipe sounds pretty good but I think I can make it better”? Totally lame! But I really would like to know if you think it would work to just leave the pineapple out.)

No, I TOTALLY get that. Leave out the pineapple if it’s not your thing. :) Now, if you said, “So…I want to make this, but I don’t want the caramel sauce and I was wondering if I could use cheddar instead of cream cheese and I don’t eat eggs, what should I do?!”, then we’d be having a conversation. ;)

This looks so heavenly! What a fabulous idea!!

Juli says:

This looks delicious! Can’t wait for a baby or wedding shower brunch to make this for.

Kelli says:

I’m drooling … and so is every coworker I have mentioned this too since I brought up the window. Of course, since it’s an overnight french toast, the request has now been made for me to make it and bring it in. I suppose I could share….

Stacey says:

Wow, this sounds incredibly delicious. I grew up on pineapple upside down cake as my dad’s favorite and I can’t wait to try this out on him!

Ang says:

Yummers! This looks like a fantastic special occassion/brunch treat. Thanks!

Jennifer S. says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

leslie says:

You should also rethink getting married in December and have ALL your kids the last two weeks of December

That sounds AMAZING. I’ll try that my next go-around. ;)

So nice to hear of someone else that has awesome planning like me. We have a December anniversary and 3 kids born in the last week of November/first week of December. Fun times, right? By now we have pretty much given up celebrating our anniversary.

Janelle says:

Why, oh why do I not have pineapple in my house right this minute?!? I may be making this sans pineapple today, but you’d better believe it will be happening again soon with the pineapple! :)

Jessica says:

Does it make a difference if I use a bread other than Italian? I have all the ingredients except that type of bread.

Nope–I mean, I wouldn’t use whole wheat in this particular recipe, but any white bread, preferably something a little more sturdy, will work great.

• Janelle says:

I used a whole (hard white) wheat french bread, and it tasted great! Granted, it was probably not the same as with white, but no one at my house complained

Loni says:

I agree that May is nutty! This year we’ve added selling our house and my husband going to Panama to the list. But he’ll be coming home soon so I may just have to make this to surprise him when he gets back, he’d love it!

Jessica says:

This looks amazing! I love pineapple and will for sure be trying this. I’m going to also assume that most any kind of fruit on the bottom would work. Like peaches, because that sounds pretty great too.

Crystal Moore says:

Can’t wait to try this. It looks amazing!!!

Erica says:

I am so making this for Father’s Day! Thanks for another great recipe. Oh, Happy Anniversary!

Sharlyn says:

Wowza!

Nellie says:

On your very last picture of the pineapple french toast, how do you get the WORDS on top of the image/photo? What software do you use for that?

Christina says:

Sounds so yummy! Can you clarify for me exactly how the cream cheese goes on…. in the middle of the bread like a sandwich? So nothing on the top?

sandy says:

I’m thinking Father’s Day for this little gem! But, I just remembered we have Stake Conference that morning and we’re getting a new SP, so we’re going to have to get there early! I guess it’ll be that Saturday’s breakfast instead! Nevertheless he will LOVE it! Thank you!

Ruth says:

Seriously! I would love to start out the day by slipping into a sugar coma! YUMMMMYYYYY!!!

Georgia says:

Do you guys try and avoid GMOs? What are your views on buying organically?

Christina Reay says:

So excited to make this for my son’s birthday breakfast tomorrow! He will be thrilled!

Kathy says:

This looks awesome! I need to find a reason to make this soon!

nessa says:

Looks fabulous!

Mamie says:

You are probably going to laugh at my question, but I don’t cook very well and since finding your website, I have hope for myself. I made this this morning and it seemed a little sloppy even after I cooked it for almost an hour. Delicious! But sloppy. So my question is, do you cook it covered in the tin foil, or do you take it off before you bake it? Would cooking it uncovered make the bread too hard? Maybe a dumb question, but this is one I WANT to get just right. Thanks gals!

[email protected] says:

This was extremely yummy, even with canned pineapple. Thanks for a great make ahead breakfast recipe. Ido an overnight or crockpot recipe every Sunday morning. This definitely was voted in our keeper rotation. Our 13 month old kept saying “yum, yum” all through breakfast.

Ang says:

Just FYI, this is delicious even if all you have is one ounce of cream cheese and, for the filling, you just mix the chopped pineapple with that and a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar and spoon a bit between the slices of bread. Thanks for inspiring our Memorial Day brunch!

I adore anything with cream cheese and pineapple is always good too, great breakfast!

Val Halvorson says:

I can’t wait to try!!! Looks AHHH MAAAA ZIIING!!!

Alyssa B says:

I love my french toast thoroughly soaked in egg, so I bet this would be something that I would like. I’ll have to try it out next time I get the chance to make brunch!

claire says:

Is lining the pan in foil just to make it less mess clean up? (which is always a perk!) I am just wondering if it serves another purpose, because I have a stone baking dish I want to make this in and am thinking of not lining it in foil…thoughts?

Susan says:

Could canned pineapple be used for this recipe?

karen says:

hi! i tried to make this and the bottom never fully cooked. the top was over cooking and the bottom still raw. any tips? it still tasted great, but i imagine it would have been better if the bottom piece of bread wasn’t so soggy. thanks!

Holly says:

I made this last spring but for whatever reason our cream cheese mixture tasted funky… almost bitter or something. Do you think this recipe would still be ok just omitting the cream cheese mixture altogether? I was thinking about trying it again minus that part for Mother’s Day..

Emily S says:

Did you use fresh pineapple? Fresh pineapple has a reaction with dairy that is bitter . . . Learned that the hard way, then googled and found it’s actually a chemical thing. My fail was with pineapple cream cheese ham rolls, and have since noticed it when I do pineapple with milk in smoothies or the like. Haven’t tried fresh with this recipe, so it’s just an idea. The cream cheese mixture actually should make this recipe delicious!