Our Best Bites Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos introLongtime readers of this blog might be feeling a little deja vu.  This Chicken Taquito recipe is one of the all-time most popular recipes on Our Best Bites.  The story behind it is interesting, too.  I was actually making something entirely different that I planned on entering into a recipe contest.  That recipe was somewhat of a flop, but the filling I came up with was amazing and I thought it would make an incredible filling for a crispy taquito.  So I said forget-it to the recipe contest, and re-worked the filling in these crispy oven-baked taquitos, and turns out it was one of the best decisions ever, as this recipe has become a beloved family favorite all over the country.

I did a cooking class a few months ago with some teenage girls, and when I went to this post to print out some copies of the recipe, I realized how bad the post was!  For being one of the most popular recipes on our site, it had bad formatting, a messed up print box, and old, outdated photos.  In addition, when I posted something about making the taquitos that night on Instagram, tons of people asked where they could find it, which told me there were lots of newer readers who haven’t experienced our beloved taquitos.  Time for a make-over.

Chicken Taquito Ingredients

These come together fairly quickly, and an awesome bonus is that these freeze (unbaked) beautifully so you can make extra and have a meal for later.

You’ll need some cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe.  You can use a mix of dark and/or white meat, or whatever is easiest.  For me, easiest is often a rotisserie chicken from Costco.

our best bites shredded chicken

The “creamy” component in this recipe comes from a couple of things.  For starters, I use a little bit of cream cheese.  It melts together with the shredded jack cheese to make an awesome creamy texture that coats the chicken.

our best bites cream cheeseYou can use either plain Jack cheese, or pepper jack if you’d like a little more heat.

our best bites pepperjack cheese

Some other things go in there for tons of flavor, like some green salsa,

our best bites green salsa

green onions, fresh lime juice, and plenty of seasonings.

our best bites green onion

Just mix it all up and your filling is done.

our best bites mixed taquito mix

You’ll place a few tablespoons on small flour, or corn tortillas and roll them up tight.  You’ll want to keep your filling about an inch away from both ends because it will leak out the ends.  Another trick is to roll them tight.  Don’t be loosey-goosey or they’ll fall apart.

our best bites chicken taquitos pre-roll
Once you get them all rolled up, you can either bake them immediately, OR

our best bites rolled up chicken taquitos

save them for later.  I’ve taken these to friends in a bag like this one below.  They’re great in the fridge for a few days and you can bake them up as needed.  Or you can freeze them and bake them straight from the freezer.  It’s totally worth it to make a double batch so you can pop one in the freezer!

Refrigerator Taquitos

To bake them immediately, lightly spray a foil-lined baking sheet with non-stick spray, or brush lightly with oil.  Place the taquitos in a single layer, not touching each other, and then lightly brush the tops with olive oil, or give them a quick spray of non-stick spray and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.

our best bites rolled taquitos

Bake them in the oven until they turn golden brown, especially on the edges.

our best bites baked taquitos

You can see how the bottoms totally crisp up

our best bites baked taquito bottoms

and while that outside tortilla is perfectly crisp, the inside layers are soft and awesome.

our best bites taquito centers

These are seriously amazing.

Our Best Bites Chicken Taquitos

It is absolutely mandatory to serve them with our Creamy Lime-Cilantro dressing for dipping, but they’re also good with good ol’ salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.

Our Best Bites Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

If you’ve seriously never tried these, today is your day.  Put them on your menu plan!

Wanna make it a meal?
Serve with a side of Black Beans and a simple green salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing. Wash it down with some Brazilian Lemonade!

Looking for the beef version? It’s right here!

Lastly, recently this recipe was noted in an article in the Chicago Sun-Times where the author noted that they were “some of the best taquitos I’ve ever had”

I’ll take it!

Julie Farani says:

I just made these last night and they were super easy and super yummy! I made them with flour tortillas and was impressed. I LOVE Mexican Food and these are a new favorite!

L Olson says:

I ran across this recipe (thanks to Money Saving Mom) and I love your blog! These were delicious when we had them a few weeks ago. Also, I just realized I froze the remainder of them so they will be great for a quick and easy dinner tonight! Yum!

amelia says:

I made these for lunch today, I substituted green salsa for red salsa (not sure where to find green or what it tastes like) and they were quite good. Something different from my usual checken fingers and fries. The only comment I’d make is even though I went light on the cilantro (maybe one Tablespoon if that) it was still the flavour that stood out most and I am not a huge fan of cilantro so if like me you’re not a huge fan, you need barely any as it is a very flavourful herb and it tends to overpower the other ingreedients. Also I don’t like mine super crispy so I cooked them for 7 minutes which gave them just a nice light browning on the ends and the bottom and a bit of a crunch.

A recipe I’d make again though I might replace the cilantro with fresh parsley which I like more :)

Anita J says:

I made these for dinner, along with yalls quick and easy black bean recipe and I made a side of the cilantro lime dressing, and it was a delicious dinner! :) We all enjoyed it! Thanks!

Jenny says:

So nice to have a new Mexican dish to make! They were a tad spicy for me (I’m a mild/medium salsa kind of girl), but I’ll just cut out the chili powder next time, and they’ll be perfect for my “mild” taste buds! Will definitely be making these again (and with beef too)!

Paige says:

I made these last night and they were DELICIOUS! I’m kind of a spice-sissy, though, so I switched out the regular cream cheese for Philadelphia Santa Fe Blend Cooking Creme and cut out the green salsa and chili powder. So good!!! I will definitely make them again – they’ve quickly become a family favorite!

Jaala Allen says:

I made these for dinner this evening. Oh man- are they delish! And I love the fact that my hands smell like lime and cilantro! Thanks for the recipe!

Erin says:

I eat these about once a week now.

Kathy B. says:

OH.MY.GOSH. These are AMAZING!!! Hubby couldn’t get enough..can’t wait to make another batch and freeze some!!

Julia says:

WOW THESE ARE INCREDIBLE!! I just made them tonight and my husband and I LOVED them. Will defnitely add this to the recipe box. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and easy recipe.

Lucy says:

These sound great. I’m planning on making a double batch to take up to a cottage for a family get together.
    Can I bring them up totally done, and just re-heat when I’m up there? Or is it better to roll them up, and not bake at all until just before serving?

Lucy, I’d recommend getting them all rolled up and ready to go, but baking right before serving. Enjoy!

• Lucy says:

Thanks Sara! I ended up doing the filling at home, and then rolling and baking them up at the cottage. A big hit! My husband loved them. Will be making them again soon, for sure!

erin says:

These are delicious! I served them for a girl’s night party with the cilantro lime dressing and they were a total hit, everyone was begging for the recipe. It was great that I could make the filling and dressing ahead, and only had to fill, roll, and bake before the party. I’ve since made for dinner using leftover roasted/grilled/whatevered chicken. I have always used flour tortillas and tend to spice mine a lot heavier (more salsa, more hot sauce). Great one girls! Got me hooked on the site :)

Kristen says:

These are fantastic. I have made them for everyone I know. I love love love the filling. I have tried them with flour tortillas, white corn tortillas (my favorite) and even put the filling in a enchilada casserole. Yummy.

Lisa says:

My family and I enjoyed these immensely! Can’t believe I’m just now making them, seeing that I’m a Texas girl!

Barbara says:

I tried these last night. They were so good and easy to make! I will definitely make them again. I served mine with sour cream and salsa on the side. Also, I served them with Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos, which I found on http://www.myrecipes.com

Yummy!

Cajungirl3651 says:

Another question, and someone may have asked this but gosh there are too many comments to read on this recipe! While this is yummy and I am planning to make this tonight for dinner I was just wondering if this was good with shrimp instead of chicken (just noticed shrimp are on sale in my neck of the woods this week). Aren’t shrimp and chicken often interchangable? Or am I making that up?

Jordan says:

I have made these several times now – delicious! I use the uncooked tortillas that can be found near the canned biscuits at the grocery store. You just heat them up on a skillet and they taste like they came straight from your favorite Mexican restaurant. Plus, they are super soft so they don’t crack when you bake them.

Krystle B says:

I just made these using fat free cream cheese and they were DELICIOUS! My husband who REFUSES to eat “fat free” things didn’t notice because I didn’t tell him :) He told me how amazing they were! Thanks for a great recipe! It will definitely be a staple in our meal plans!

Ashley says:

We love these in our home! especially the flour tortillas. We also love to dip them in home made cilantro lime ranch! yumm!!

Melissa says:

I just recently discovered your cookbook/website. LOVE IT!!! Just made these taquitos last night for dinner, complete with the Taco Chicken and Cilantro Lime Dressing and WOW were they good! Even my picky eater kids ate them up! Thanks for such a great new addition to our dinner menu!!

Heidi says:

I’ve made these several times and they’re awesome!

Claire says:

Yum mm!!! I just finished making these… 30 min prep since I think I’m slow, but DELICIOUS!! what a treat. The cream cheese is a welcome change from a sour cream base. Go girls!

Helen says:

Claire, please read my comment below. I found that if you put the filling in a zip-top bag you can bang out a whole tray of these pretty quickly. Much faster than spooning it on the tortillas, and not as messy!

Helen says:

I just needed to tell you that once you get the technique down for these, they really become a go-to recipe to stock the freezer! I wind up usually using ground turkey browned and seasoned with taco or southwest seasoning, but you can add pretty much anything to the basic recipe! I found that using flour tortilla seem to roll better for me than the corn ones, and come out just as crunchy when baked.
    As to freezing them, I only ever cook them frozen anymore. It keeps the filling from oozing out onto the pan too much. One more tip: scoop the filling into a zip-top bag, cut off the corner and you can “pipe” the filling onto the tortilla, which makes assembly much faster!
    The only question: does anyone have any filling ideas to turn these into BREAKFAST taquitos?
    Thanks again for a winning recipe!

Helen says:

I just did a search of OurBestBites and found the breakfast taquito recipe! Thanks!!!

Holly says:

These are so tasty! I make them all the time! Thank you so much for this little gem!

Holly @ naturallysweetrecipes.blogspot.com

Allison H says:

These were SO good, I just bought your cookbook and I am having so much fun with the recipes. Thank you :)

Marie Z says:

When we made these, we sprinkled Parmesan cheese on them instead of the salt…super yummy!

Meredith Jones says:

i live in the town where my husband grew up, which happens to be in mexico, and i’m always trying new mexican recipes. i tried this from your cookbook hoping it would reach my husbands expectations – he’s kind of a hard one to please, as far as food goes at least. he took one bite of these and yelled at me from the kitchen (i was across the house) “Meredith – these are awesome!” thanks for the crowd pleaser!!

Jessica says:

Love these! A new family favorite! I blogged about them here. http://valleyofsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/09/best-taquitos-ever.html

Becca AKA Carter's Momma says:

I made these using left over turkey after Thanksgiving….yum-o!! Gonna make them again tonight using the Costco canned chicken, in a pinch so it should do!

AllisonC says:

I’ve had my eye on this recipe for several days, and finally got around to making these today! WHY did I wait so long. These are delish and super easy. 10times better than the ones in the freezer boxes. Thanks!

Sunny says:

These were very yummy!! One of my fav’s!!
    Mahalo!

I am obsessed with these, as is my husband. They are soooo good. They have become a staple in the house. I make fauxtisserie chicken and use it to make these; sometimes I freeze the chicken mix, defrost, then stuff the tortillas and bake.

Jaime says:

I am eating them right now making yummy noises!

Rachel T says:

I made these for dinner the other night and 1 & 1/2′d the recipe thinking I would have enough for friends coming for lunch the next day. What a foolish thought that was! My young daughters ate more than their normal portions – as did my husband and I. There was enough for my husband’s lunch the next day, but that was it! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Jaime says:

I made these again tonight with leftover turkey. Followed all directions, just substituted the chicken with all the left over turkey we had from Thanksgiving dinner. They were delicious! Just thought I’d let you know, so if you make a post about what to do with thanksgiving leftovers, you could include this one. :) Thanks!

Anita says:

I’m allergic to gluten, so I make these ahead of time when I come home from college, and then whenever I need a quick dinner back at school, I just pop them in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes and I have a quick, healthy, freezer meal.

(A lot of people asked when they freeze them. I cook them until they’re ALMOST done and then freeze them in giant zip lock bags)

I made them today with a bunch of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, they turned out great! :)

Thanks again! I love these! …and pretty much everything on this website! :)

-Anita

Anita says:

oh haha, I guess Jaime and I had the same idea! :)

They turned out delicious with the turkey! :)

Jessica says:

Just turned the rest of my leftover turkey into a double batch of taquitos for the freezer!! YUMMM, and way better than choking down leftover turkey for another 3 days :) Thanks for the awesome recipes!

Melissa Mandella says:

OK I am the one who asked if you could make these with shrimp. I finally did it and they were so yummy! The only change I made to substitute the tiny (what we call) gumbo shrimp. OK now that I look at the actual ingredient list- I didnt have green onions so I didnt put that in, but that would have made them better. So if you can get your hands on some fresh Louisiana shrimp, give it a try! Actually mine were not fresh they were frozen. :)

Jill F says:

Made these tonight for something different after Christmas. Everybody L.O.V.E.D. them – even the picky teenage daughter. :) Tried them with white corn tortillas but will use flour tortillas next time. The corn rolled great when warm but cracked as soon as they cooled. Thanks for such an easy, yummy recipe.

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate agreement between us

This is one of my very favorites. I slow bake the taco chicken recipe all day so it’s fall apart tender and dip them in your guac recipe! To die for!

Jenelle says:

Made these last night, and found out while preparing them that I had run out of chili powder so I used Chipotle chili powder- it’s all I had, and they were heavenly! Everyone raved about them. Thanks for sharing!

Emily S says:

Have to comment because these saved my life tonight. My night became something from “Dinner Disasters.” (Is there such thing? Should be.) It involved massive amounts of dough, an absent husband, a screaming baby . . . then I remembered I had a bunch of these in the freezer. Popped them in the oven, made a quick salad and dipping sauce, and there you go, miracle dinner my kids LOVED. It was good enough to ignore the fact the smoke alarm woke up the baby and my kids subsequently sang, “Fire Burning” variations all through the meal. (Nothing was burning, my smoke alarm just doesn’t like it when I open the oven. Another story.) So, yes, thanks!

If anyone ever reads this comment looking for tips, when they come from the freezer they don’t turn out looking all lovely like pictured. I don’t care, but just in case you do. Also, this is obvious, but a while back I cooked some from the freezer and forgot to put the seam sides down. Tostadas!

Shannon says:

Hey! I made these last night and they were DELISH… but I couldn’t get them to stay closed. I tried using toothpicks but I ended up having to settle with them looking terrible. Any thoughts on how I can make them stay round without breaking??

Bill Shaw says:

When you use flour tortillas instead of corn, two things happen. First and most important, the caloric value of the food item jumps. So corn tortillas mean less calories. Second, when you use flour tortillas, it is no longer technically a taquito. It is something else completely.

Kate says:

I absolutely love Mexican food, but have never tried to make anything like this before. Definitely want to give this a try! :)

Amy says:

I found this recipe from ifIcould-ifIcould….they were so YUMMY!!! I loved them. Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely making them again—-and often. I’ve been looking around your blog and I’m a fan. I’ll definitely be trying more.

Erin Nichols says:

HI I just got done making this tonight and as a mistake I added 1 Tbsp Paprika thinking it was the chili powder. I noticed what I did and added the chili like normal and did everyting like normal. I cannot believe the awesome spice it gives the mixture and from now on I’m going to add Paprika everytime :D Love this dish and always will!

Karlie says:

My hubby does not like sour cream… do you think I could use some cream of chicken soup instead to make it more moist? I know, I have made these before and they are delish made just as instructed, I just thought I would try to be nice this time. ha ha.

Karen says:

Made these AGAIN tonight but used your cilantro lime vinagrette instead of the green salsa-SOOOO yummy.

Anna says:

Love it! Making them tonight! Also, just WHERE in the South do you live where they don’t have good Mexican? That sounds impossible!

Mardee says:

Quick question– are these freezer friendly the way the breakfast taquitos are? I want to make these and the black beans for a freezer food exchange. I loove looove looooove the breakfast taquitos–make them every conference sunday :)

Eprsy says:

I really want to make these today, but I don’t have any tortillas. I do have some wonton wrappers, do you think those would work? Would I still bake them or fry them instead?

Kristie O says:

We had these at my friend’s house last night. They were delicious and a hit with my 9 year old. So easy and delicious! I’m bookmarking this entry and making them for dinner, at our house, soon! Yum!

Laura says:

Hey Sara!
    I am pretty new to Our Best Bites but I can’t even begin to tell you how it has changed my outlook on cooking! For the past 6 years of my marriage I have cooked like once a week (If I am lucky), but now I can’t stop and I am cooking 4-5 times a week for a few months now. The only issue I have is I can’t get these to not burn. I burnt these, the beef once and the breakfast taquitos. Do you think my pan is too close to the burners in the oven, or maybe I am using the wrong kind of spray. What are some suggestions on better cooking these? Thanks so much!

Hi Laura! I’m so glad you’re enjoying our food! It sounds like your oven might be hotter than it says it is. Make sure your pan is in the middle rack of the oven as well and that should help.

emily says:

These are probably my very favorite things on your blog! Yum Yum Yum!!! I love them so much! I’ve made them twice and everybody loves them! Even my 3 yr old brother! =)

Kelly D says:

These were wildly popular at my family’s reunion yesterday! It’s a little feather in your cap when you take home an empty dish. :)

Emily Lessner says:

Made these again this weekend for company – also the veggie/black bean option from the cookbook – along with the cilantro lime dip…rave reviews! SO GOOD! Can’t wait for your new cookbook!

Tanya says:

When I press print recipe text only, it wants me to login. How do I do that? Thanks.

kristen says:

I make these all the time and everyone loves them! The are so easy to make and I love how crispy they get without having to fry them! I like to dip them in the leftover green salsa, so yummy!

Susie says:

Love these taquitos! I was wondering if you think the filling would work as well in soft tacos? Or do I have to cook the filling?

Nicole says:

These turned out better than I was expecting. I even omitted the cilantro (because when I glanced in my fridge before my grocery shopping trip, I mistook the parsley for it), but they were still really great. The whole family loved them. Dipped them in your homemade guac. Definitely going to be a repeat for us!

Sharmy says:

One of my favorite recipes ever.My family thanks you and my dinner club group! :)

[...] out, this recipe is all over Pinterest.  Here, here and here are a few of the places it or a version of it can be [...]

[...] Source:  Our Best Bites [Creamy Chicken Taquitos] [...]

[...] Source: Pink Parsley originally from Our Best Bites [...]

[...] our family!!Brisket and Rosemary New PotatoesWednesday:  These Tacquito’s look delish from Our Best BitesBaked Creamy Chicken TaquitosThursday:  This recipe was given to me by friend from South [...]

[...] Recipes, sponsors Some of our families favorite recipes come from Our Best Bites. Like their Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos. I make them when I want to impress without looking like I’m trying too hard. It works every [...]

Amy says:

Wow! Everyone in my family loved these. Made with flour tortillas and they were fantastic. Made the filling a few days before, made dinner time so easy. Definitely a keeper.

[...] Saturday night we had BBQ Chicken Taquitos. These are so good. I tried the original but wasn’t impressed but once I found the BBQ version over at Pink Parsley I was hooked. You [...]

jenny says:

i made these tonight for dinner, but substituted the green salsa with a sofrito tomato base sauce. and oh my god. these are legitimately some of the best things i have EVER tasted. i have never been so excited about making somthing for dinner before lol. my whole family loves them, my mom is already talking about making them for future family gatherings. absolutely incredible recipe, thank you so much for sharing! <33

Brooke says:

When I try the “print recipe” for this it says I don’t have permission? I don’t think I’ve encountered this elsewhere on your site. Anyway, maybe it’s my computer? We LOVE this recipe, it has become one of the most requested dinners at our house. I use the leftovers of a rotisserie chicken to make it super easy!

Phil says:

Thanks! I really like taquitos but avoiding deep fried food or pan fried food with too much oil. Really good, really like fried taquitos minus the bad feeling after eating them!!

Kara says:

Seriously so good! You girls have not let me down once! I also just used my kitchenaid to shred my chicken for the very first time and I feel like my world has changed : ) Thanks for helping us have a happy home with happy tummies.

Angie says:

What is grilled taco chicken that you mentioned in your recipe? Is it a seasoning packet?

Suzanne says:

When using the Costco unbaked tortillas, do you suggest cooking the tortilla before assembling them or assemble them raw and bake the tortilla?

Katie says:

just made these…delicious!!!! Thank you for the amazing recipe!!! :D

Jessie Crooks says:

Yum, Yum, Yum. Even my picky husband and son ate them up! You are my new fav blog! :)

dee says:

I love these. I really really do. I find myself craving them and wishing I still had some in the freezer. I think I need to put together a big batch every other week just to freeze. Oh – and you absolutely 100% HAVE TO make the taco chicken for these.

Vanessa says:

Made these tonight. I’ve made them before and loved them but this time I tried regular salsa and colby jack cheese because that’s what I had. They were still delicious! My 6 year old said they are now one of her favorite foods.

Beth says:

These are, without a doubt, wonderful. I used both corn and flour tortillas and prefer the flour. Loved the creamy cilantro dip but just used bottled ranch dressing and added all the other ingredients, except mayo and milk. Delicious!
    Can’t wait to try this out on company. I know they will be a huge hit!

Kristi says:

I got this recipe from the SixSister’s blog where they had adapted it to use flour tortillas. I’ve made this several times for my family and they love it! I used soft neuchatel cheese instead of the light cream cheese and went for regular jack cheese instead of the pepper jack (for my 5 yr old who isn’t into spicy). I also served with green and red salsa on the side and plain yogurt in place of sour cream for dipping. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

Katie says:

I triple the recipe to freeze and keep for compassionate service meals. I learned the hard way not to triple the chili powder and to use Monterey cheese. I also double the cilantro dressing. Again, I learned the hard way not to double the garlic. It’s a great meal to freeze and give a new mom or someone baking instructions!

Tammy says:

I made these tonight for our Cooking Club. Yet again you guys were a hit! I have never been let down by a recipe I get from you! Thanks again :)

Beverly says:

Made these tonight and they were delicious!!! Thank you!!

Ethan says:

I had some fresh corn on the cob so I boiled up a couple of ears and stripped it and added it to the meat mixture. Very good

Mary Case says:

A variation of the baked taquitos: Use mashed avocado to replace the cheeses.

Whitney says:

I made these tonight using whole wheat flour tortillas (the 16 oz guerrero brand that comes with 11 tortillas in a pack). I had to omit the cilantro to save my marriage, and since I didn’t have shredded pepper jack, I substituted 1/2 cheddar and half monterey jack. I doubled the recipe and got 15 large taquitos. They were super yummy, and with a side of black bean/corn/onions/bell peppers skillet, 2 taquitos was plenty to fill up my husband. So glad I have enough for lunches now through out the week. Thanks for the recipe.

Leigh says:

We’ve loved this recipe for years now. Recently I’ve realized that my body doesn’t like carbs as much as I do. My kids requested this for dinner and I made it as a quesadilla instead (higher filling to tortilla ratio,equally less carbs for me) and it was great. The filling is also really good in a lettuce wrap. Maybe you’ve already tried these options or thought of this, but I thought I’d share that we LOVE this recipe and have found new ways to love it as well. Happy Cooking, we sure love this site!

Amy Forsyth says:

How many do you usually get from one recipe?

This truly amazing. I made it with a side of coleslaw, it was delicious. Thank you for sharing it.

Michelle M says:

A) I and my family LOVE this recipe with so much of our being – I always make a triple batch.

B) I tried freezing them, and they work fine! They aren’t as presentable – the corn tortillas disintegrate a little while cooking – so I wouldn’t serve frozen ones to company,but they taste just as good.
    I made them all the way until the cooking stage, covered tightly with plastic wrap and foil, then froze. To cook, I take the plastic off then recover with foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then 450 for 20. Yum yum yum.

Emilee says:

One of my family’s favorite recipes. I always double it and freeze a bunch.

Samantha says:

How many taquitos does the recipe make?

Laurel says:

These taquitos are one of our family’s most favorite recipes ever!! My boys refer to them as “Mom’s Famous Taquitos” and I have you to thank for that! :) I’m thinking we need to make these tonight!

Juli says:

This is truly one of our family favorites. I even made them for my husband’s surprise birthday party. They were a huge hit with all of our guests too! I always serve it with the lime-cilantro dressing. I’ve even dipped fries and veggie roll-ups in the dressing. To. Die. For.
    And I always double the recipe and freeze a bag of taquitos for later.

Jamie says:

I usually end up subbing a small can of roasted green chiles, instead of the green salsa because I always have those on hand and it works just fine. Yup, these are on frequent rotation at our house and a hit with the toddler as well. I need to make them again soon!

We love these topped with sour cream, lettuce, and diced tomatoes!!! yum now I want to make them again :)

Kate says:

My husband LIVED on these taquitos after I gave birth. I used corn tortillas (a little trickier, but delightful) and froze them. This recipe bought me some much needed mommy time. “Want more taquitos?…Then watch the baby for a few hours so I can whip up a batch!”

Lynette says:

These are delicious! This is one of my favorites from you guys. I made the filling in the morning a few weeks ago, came home and stuffed these guys, and dinner was ready sooo fast. I am going to be making a double batch of these babies…well maybe a triple batch…and freezing them for easy lunches or a dinner when we have baby #2 in October. And your cilantro lime ranch is just soooo yummy and easy too!

Becky says:

This is one of my all time favorites! And I didn’t know that they freeze well, so thank you for adding that. But in the original post you give some great tips for rolling corn tortillas that you left out of this one- and it just doesn’t work if you don’t have those tips! Maybe add that for new readers?

These are absolutely a favourite in our family, and my go-to meal to bring new moms and stock for myself when a baby’s on the way! Love the updated photos!

Brenda says:

Hands down one of my FAVORITE OBB recipes. I make these at least monthly and my kids LOVE them. Thanks for reposting it for others to enjoy!

Karina says:

I just made these a week ago and my family loves them, especially with the cilantro lime dipping sauce! I’m gonna make another batch to freeze since I have leftover ingredients. Thanks so much for the yummy recipe!

Lindsay says:

I love this recipe!! Thanks for another winner! I make these all the time, and double it to freeze. A definite family fave. I stir in a little honey too and it’s a must try! It takes it to the next level!

Angela says:

Yup these are the BEST. It’s probably the recipe I refer newbies to the most. Very impressive at showers/parties when all people have ever had is the nasty, deep fried, no filling ones from the big box store. Love the update!

Goodness you really did a number on this dish. I had to pin it. I love the fact that it’s baked. It’s also one of those dishes that look like you did a lot of work and it was relatively easy.

Yeni says:

I make these all the time and everyone loves them. I started adding homemade refried beans in the tortilla and it pumps these up even more. thanks for the great recipe!

Daryl Barnes says:

I have a question! How many taquitos does this make? As a single college girl are we talking about one meal with leftovers or am I going to need to throw a party?

Rob says:

This recipe is awesome. I substitue any salsa, any kind of citrus juice we have (sometimes OJ) , don’t normally include cilantro (don’t care for it) or the green onions. I usually double the batch and use a whole slab of cream cheese and extra shredded cheese. I bake the chicken and then shred the chicken in a stand mixer and freeze the unused shredded chicken to use later in other dishes. Totally unforgiving recipe, I can alter and adjust to my families tastes and it is always a winner.

Sunny Drohan says:

Sara, how many tortillas will this recipe make?
    Also for the person who asked about shredding the cheese, I believe if she freezes it for about 30 minutes, it may be easier to shred.

Bobbi Edwards says:

We love these! However to make it simpler, (I’m a teacher & always looking for shortcuts) we quadruple the batch, add 2 full cream cheeses, a whole bunch of both cilantro & green onions (it was pretty close when I measured), then we mix it & just freeze the mix (no tortillas). Oh & we just use whatever cheese is in the fridge, sometimes a mix. It makes like 8 meals for our family! Thank you so much!!

Shayleen Lunt says:

Wow! I can’t believe that so many didn’t know of this recipe! This has been a family favorite for some years now! And yes, you must serve with the dressing! Yummo! I was recently gathering favorite recipes from sisters in our ward for a ward cookbook and two of the girls submitted this recipe! It’s always a hit!

Shayleen Lunt says:

ps Don’t worry, I gave your credit in our little homemade cookbook…I referenced your website when I printed that recipe!

Andi says:

Ha! I went on to the site to look these up, and there they were on the home page! You totally read my mind. These are my favorite recipe out of everything on your website, which is really saying a lot.

Katie says:

Thanks again for teaching this recipe to our Young Women! It was a fabulous night,
    and these really are a huge hit!

Heather says:

One of my favorite recipes! Everyone loves these and they make a great after school snack for the kids.

Kimberly says:

One of our family faves. But I just can’t make them unless I use your Taco Chicken too. I always make extra Taco Chicken so I can use it to make these taquitos, taco salad, chicken tacos, enchiladas or any other mexican kind of dish.

Sunny Drohan says:

Just am eating these now. My husband said, why haven’t we had these before? They were marvelous.
    Followed it to a tee…. almost. I used the Victoria Green Salsa with Jalopenas. So used just shy of your measurement.
    Did your taco chicken, but used two large chicken breasts and roasted it it @400° for 35 min.
    Did the green goddess dressing. Oh my. It was a big hit with my husband. Will use the leftovers and freeze as suggested. Wow!
    Next time I will prep the day before. It is 7:00PM and just finishing now.
    Thanks so much.
    Could use these as an appetizer and cut in thirds.

MamalalaK says:

Made these last night and they were fabulous. I knew to make a double batch so we could freeze half of them. Made them with the yummy copycat Rio dressing. Way to go OBB.

Jessica J. says:

These were fantastic! My husband wouldn’t stop raving about them. I did your trick where I used rotisserie chicken, and it made it even easier. Thanks!

KatieJ says:

These are my favorite! I especially love them dipped in Cholula hot sauce- sooo good!

Marci says:

This was the first OBB recipe I ever made. It is a staple at our house during football season! I’m glad you reposted it!

Stacie says:

Quick question. I’ve made this recipe a ton of times. It is an all time favorite in our house. Every time I do, the taquitos split while baking. I’ve tried rolling them tighter, looser, not filling them so full, lots of varieties. Any idea why this is happening and how to solve for it? I use corn tortillas and I use your little trick with heating damp paper towels in between each tortilla so they don’t crack while rolling. Thanks for any ideas.

Jana says:

I have all of the ingredients except the green sauce. I do have a can of diced green chilis. Will that work?

We *love* these taquitos. Whenever my little brother comes over he wants me to make a batch with him to take home to his college apartment. We also recently took a batch to a family who had lost their son and they raved about how awesome they are. Seriously, these are rightly a favorite on your site :)

Just FYI though, the link to the old post is now broken. I fully understand wanting people to come to this new post but you should probably set up a redirect so that anyone who has pinned the old link (me!) can get to the new post easily. I’m sure your web developer can help you out with that, but if not feel free to contact me and I’d be happy to help you out as well.

Again, thanks for the awesome recipe! My friends and family are always impressed with what a great cook I am, but I’m not really a great cook – I just have great sources for recipes :)

Rachel says:

This recipe is one of my all-time faves! I make a big batch and freeze the leftovers individually wrapped in foil (post-baking!). I actually like them even more frozen and reheated.

Wow! This is absolutely mouth watering..can’t wait to try this :)

Taylor says:

While my dad and brother are out to go see a movie tonight, I figured Id check out OBB to see what I would make because I havent made anything off of the site recently, and everything I have made in the past was AMAZING, and I came across these. I am a long time reader and remember when these came out on the blog. I never had all of the ingredients so I had forgotten about them. Lets just say theyre in the oven now, and Im super excited. Thanks for sticking around ladies:)

These are a staple at my house! And I’ve shared this recipe (and your website!) with my ward several times. This is also my favorite freezer meal to share with friends that have just had babies. It’s because of wonderful recipes like this that people actually think I’m a good cook!! Thank you ladies!!

Jenelle says:

Seriously my fave. About a year ago, I had an affair with chipotle (this blog may have contributed to that) and had to use chipotle chili powder in everything-this recipe included. Best chipotle decision ever made! The only way I ever make them, now! YUM!

Elin says:

I live in Iceland so I can’t get jack cheese. What can I use instead??

diane says:

These look wonderful and easy. Thanks for the great recipe!

Penny says:

I like to make my own tortillas or use the unbaked ones from the store. Do you know if I would need to cook the tortillas before filling them, or would they cook sufficiently when baked?

Kelly Phillips says:

I just made these this evening and they were OUTSTANDING!! Have some in the freezer for a quick meal next time we want them. (Which probably won’t be very long)!!

Miranda says:

Any thoughts whether or not the crock pot taco chicken would be a good option in this or if it would be too heavily spiced?