If you’ve never used puff pastry before, it’s found in the freezer section of the grocery store. It’s usually near the desserts and frozen dough. Just follow the instructions on the package to defrost.
While that’s happening, mix up your filling. I used Chive and Onion flavored cream cheese because all of the flavors are right in the little package! No need to add any spices, so it’s quick and easy.
Roll out the pastry and then use a pizza cutter to slice into squares.
Place a little spoonful of filling on each square,
Have a little bowl of water nearby and use a wet finger to moisten the edges. Fold the pastry over to make triangles. You can use a fork to crimp the edges, or it actually works just fine to seal them shut with your fingers. Give them a quick brush of egg wash and then pop them in the oven.
That’s where the magic happens and those little pastries puff up tall and flaky. They’re so buttery and perfect and they will literally call your name out and say “eat me! eat me!”
While that pastry is puffing up to perfection, the insides are warming up and all of that cheese is melting.
They’re amazing warm, but they actually taste great at room temperature as well. So they’d make a great little snack to make ahead and take on a picnic or to a party. And you could totally make them larger and pair them with a salad for a fun lunch.
Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pastry Pockets
- 1 box puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1 8oz container Philadelphia Chive and Onion flavor Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1/3 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Warm cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to soften. Place in a mixing bowl with mozzarella cheese, chicken, bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Defrost puff pastry sheets according to package directions. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll one sheet at a time into a 12 x 12 inch square. Cut 4, 3 inch strips each direction to make 16 squares, 3 x 3" each.
- Place about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixture onto each square. With your finger, brush a dab of water around the edges of each square and fold over diagonally to make a triangle. Press edges together and crimp with a fork to seal.
- After stuffing and folding each pastry, place on a baking sheet. Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water together and brush over the top of each pastry. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Can also be served at room temperature.