I’ve been on a boneless skinless chicken thighs kick lately. I bought a whole bunch to make our Spicy Honey Chicken and had forgotten how quickly they cook and how moist and delicious they are. So I’ve been on the hunt for new grilled chicken thighs recipes because goodness knows no oven of mine is going to be turned on until mid-October if I can help it (just kidding, cookies, I’ll never forget you. But let’s meet up in the middle of the night.)
I love sweet mustard recipes and if there’s ever a pair made for each other, it’s spicy brown mustard and maple. These maple mustard chicken thighs only need to marinate for a few hours (really, you can get away with 30 minutes if you’re super short on time) and the marinade keeps the chicken juicy and flavorful on the inside with a tangy, spicy, slightly-crunchy crust on the outside. Pretty much the perfect summer dinner.
You’ll need about 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs (trim ’em of their excess fat), spicy brown mustard, yellow mustard, maple syrup, some grated onion (I actually tossed a handful of leftover chopped onions into my blender and gave it a whirl because ain’t nobody got time for grating onions), a clove of garlic, some freshly ground black pepper, and a little soy sauce.
Combine the mustards, brown sugar, syrup, onion, vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper, and the minced garlic clove in a small mixing bowl.
Place the chicken thighs in a large Ziploc bag
and then pour half of the sauce mixture over the chicken and let it chill out in the fridge for 2-4 hours (but really, as little as 30 minutes).
When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat. Remove the chicken from the bag and season lightly with kosher salt. Grill for about 3-5 minutes per side or until done.
Drizzle the chicken with the reserved sauce before serving.
Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- kosher salt
- Place the chicken thighs in a large Ziploc bag.
- Combine brown mustard, brown sugar, maple syrup, yellow mustard, grated onion, cider vinegar, soy sauce, and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Pour half of the mixture over the chicken thighs and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium heat. Remove the thighs from the bag and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Cook the thighs 3-5 minutes per side. Drizzle with reserved sauce before serving.