For the Burgers
- 11/2 lbs high-quality 85/15 ground Angus
- 1/2 C BBQ sauce (or your favorite bottled BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8–10 small white dinner rolls, or Hawaiian sweet rolls, sliced in half and toasted if desired
- 8–10 crisp lettuce leaves
- 8–10 slices bacon, cooked crisp
For the Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese (not a blue cheese fan? Leave it out!)
- Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread: Combine mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and garlic. Mix well and stir in crumbled blue cheese. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Burgers: Heat a grill pan on the stove top, or an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Combine beef, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, salt and pepper. Divide and shape mixture into 8-10 3/4″-thick patties (keep the size of your buns in mind as wells the fact that the burgers will shrink quite a bit while cooking when shaping the patties). Grill for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Brush the top side of each burger with remaining sauce. Continue grilling for another 2 minutes and flip burgers again, brushing the other side with additional sauce. Continue to cook and baste until the internal temperature of the burgers reach 160-165 degrees.
- To assemble: Lightly spread the bottom half of each bun with Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread and top with a lettuce leaf. Break each bacon piece in half and place on top of lettuce leaves. Place burger on top and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Top with a small handful of Crispy Shoestring Onions. Spread remaining Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread on top halves of buns.