A quintessential summer salad featuring any favorite grilled meat- designed to use up leftover BBQ! Try it with thin sliced steak, chunks of chicken, or even pulled pork.
Recipe measurements are approximate! The following should be plenty to prepare 4-6 dinner salads. You can obviously adjust and make to taste.
- leftover BBQ (such as bbq chicken, steak, or pork). If you’re cooking it up fresh, season 1 1/2-2 pounds chicken thighs with salt and pepper, or a bbq rub and grill, brushing with your favorite bbq sauce in the last few mins of grilling.
- 1–2 heads romaine, clean and chopped/torn
- 2–3 ears corn on the cob
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion diced or sliced thin
- 1–2 avocados, diced or sliced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package french fried onions (look for them in the produce dept)
- chopped cilantro, optional
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- BBQ Sauce
Slice leftover BBQ meat, or grill up your choice of BBQ meat.
Corn: If using leftovers, simply slice off the cob. You can add it to the salad warm or cold! If using un-cooked, cut off the cob and saute in a pan with a pat of butter for 4-5 minutes until golden. You can also defrost fresh frozen corn from a bag.
For Dressing: You may enjoy just our classic Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, as-is! OR try my BBQ Ranch by placing 1 cup of ranch dressing in a bowl and whisking in your favorite BBQ sauce 1 tablespoon at a time, tasting as you go until you like it best. (Pro Tip: This makes for a really great dipping sauce for fries, as well.)
Arrange greens in bowls. Add BBQ meat and vegetables on top. Sprinkle with french fried onions and top with dressing.