Happy New Year, everyone!! If you’re new around here (or even if you’re not), you might not know that every January, we dedicate the whole month to healthy habits, both fitness and healthy eating.
I know it’s kind of a cliche to do the whole fitness thing in January, but to be completely honest, it’s maybe 10% hopping on the “everyone else is doing it” bandwagon and 90% this:
The other night, I went to the fridge and made a giant salad. Lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, colored peppers, onions, sprouts, a little shredded cheese…and it wasn’t because I was like, “Gosh, I’d really love a bowl of peppermint ice cream right now, but I’m going to be good and eat a salad,” it was more like my body was begging me, “Kate. PLEASE. Eat something that grew in the ground fairly recently.” For me, the new year is less about resolutions and all that and more about the fact that my jeans are tight.
So. After a few wonderful weeks with our family, we’ll be back in full swing on Wednesday with all sorts of Food and Stuff to help you get (or stay) on track. But. Until then, here are some of our basic essentials that will help you reach your healthy goals this year!
- My Fitness Pal. I’ve tried ’em all, but I keep coming back to My Fitness Pal. I actually pay for the premium membership so I can track my macros more closely (if you’re looking into counting macros, check out this post). You can sync it with your fitness tracker, you have the flexibility to modify things that you can’t with other programs, and whether you do the free or paid version, I think it’s an incredible value.
2. Mira Food Scale. Having a food scale is one of the easiest and most effective tools when it comes to healthy eating and this is my favorite one. It’s very affordable, easy to clean, very reliable, and the batteries are easy to change (which sounds so dumb, but when you have to have a tiny screwdriver and replace it with those little button batteries that you never have on hand, chances are good you’ll stop using it when it runs out of batteries.)
3. Blender Bottle. If you’re gonna mix protein shakes, this is a must-have (and I recommend having at least two, more if you plan on having more than one a day.)
4. Collagen Peptides. I have really brittle nails and hair, so someone recommended a collagen supplement and this is my favorite one. It’s fantastic–my hair is shiny and healthy and my nails have never been this strong, plus it works wonders for my skin, joints, and I just feel better when I take them (plus it’s basically straight protein, so if you’re looking for ways to get more protein into your diet, this is a great start). I WILL say that it’s NOT tasteless, so if you add them to a hot beverage, you’re probably going to taste it. I will ALSO say that they’re not as easy to mix as the bottle says, so what I usually do is mix a scoop with enough very hot water to dissolve them, then enough orange juice to make a “shot” and then just hurry and drink it in one or two swallows instead of trying to endure an entire mug of it.
5. Contigo Water Bottle. I’ve talked about how much I love this bottle before, but I still do. I love that it has an automatic release, so you don’t have to fiddle around with a lid. It’s easy to clean, and it also has a mouthpiece cover, so if you’re tossing it into a gym bag, you don’t have to worry about the drinking surface getting gross. This is pretty much all we use in our house!
6. If you haven’t picked up our 400 Calories or Less cookbook, you need to! It’s packed with family-friendly recipes, from breakfasts to desserts, of food you actually WANT to eat!
7. Progenex protein shakes. I’ve tried a lot of protein shakes and these are my absolute favorite. They don’t just taste good for protein shakes, they actually taste good, even if you just mix them with water and ice (I was doing all sorts of crazy stuff with other protein shakes to be able to choke them down). My favorites are the Cookies and Cream More Muscle and Belgian Chocolate Recovery. And yes, they are expensive, but. I figure it is cheaper per serving than a trip to the Wendy’s dollar menu, I’m just paying for it upfront instead of a few dollars at a time.
8. Our Best Bites Olive Oils. If you’re looking to add healthy fats to your diet, we’ve got you covered! So many flavors, perfect for roasting veggies, salad dressings, or adding a punch of flavor to your favorite healthy dishes!
9. I absolutely adore Senita Athletics–their Sarah sports bra is my absolute favorite and every time I wear the poppy leggings, I get so many compliments! They just released two new pants and I promptly ordered the Floral and Striped Capris. They look and feel like pants from bougie boutiques, just at a fraction of the cost!
I hope that helps you get excited to reach your healthy goals this year! Keep checking in with us this month because we have a lot of exciting things in the works!