Full of flavor, crunch, and with a vinaigrette to kill, this Blackberry & Pear Salad is guaranteed not to disappoint.
For the salad
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 package mixed greens
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans), roasted
- ½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola, blue, or feta cheese
- 3–4 red or green pears, sliced
- 1 small package blackberries, washed
For the dressing
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In the jar of a blender, combine all the dressing ingredients except the oil and the poppy seeds. Blend until smooth.
- With the blender running, add the oil in a steady stream. Transfer the dressing to a storage or serving container and whisk in the poppy seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients.
- To serve, either toss the salad in the dressing immediately before serving or allow people to drizzle it on individual salads. Makes a lot. Like enough for a large party.
- Makes a lot. As in, enough for a large party.