You wanna know what makes everything better? Banana bread. Specifically, caramelized banana bread with browned butter glaze. You cannot go wrong.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablepsoons rum (optional; can be replaced with 1–2 teaspoons rum extract or 1–2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 2 large eggs
- 9 ounces (about 2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk or half and half
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×5″ loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice the bananas. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add the bananas and brown sugar and saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the banana mixture in a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Combine the buttermilk, oil, rum or extracts, and eggs in a large liquid measuring cup. Set aside. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, alternately add it to the banana mixture, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown on top and a pick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to get brown and fragrant (careful…things can go south REALLY quickly. Be sure to remove from heat as soon as it starts to get brown.) Whisk in the powdered sugar and milk or half and half and drizzle over the cooled banana bread and allow the glaze to set before slicing. Supposedly makes 16 slices (ha).