- 16 cups popped popcorn (about 2 bags microwave popcorn)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup Karo syrup
- 2 cups Red Hot candies
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon oil (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Place the popcorn in a very large, heat-safe bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, Karo syrup, and Red Hots. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring very frequently, and then reduce heat to medium-low and boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon oil and then pour over the popcorn, stirring with wooden spoons to evenly coat the popcorn in the candy mixture.
- Divide the popcorn evenly between the two baking sheets and spread in a single layer over each baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe jar or measuring cup, add the chocolate chips and the shortening. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until the chocolate is smooth and liquidy. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn and allow to harden. Break into pieces and serve or divide into bags to deliver as gifts.
- This popcorn will be tasty, but it won’t have much of a bite without the additional cinnamon oil. 1/2 teaspoon adds a nice heat without being overwhelming (much like chocolate covered cinnamon bears), but if you’re very brave, try adding a whole teaspoon.