Chocolate French Toast with Strawberries, warm Nutella, and whipped cream. Baking it in the oven is super easy and keeps it crispy on the outside!
- 1 1/2 cups whole chocolate milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 slices Texas Toast
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large, glass measuring cup, whisk together the chocolate milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Lay the slices of bread on another (rimmed) baking sheet, then pour the mixture over the bread. Allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes or until the bread soaks up the egg/milk mixture (you can carefully flip the bread over if you want to hurry the process along).
- When the bread is almost done soaking up the egg mixture, place a 1 1/2 tablespoons butter on the lined baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until the butter is melting. Remove the pan from the oven and use a pastry brush to brush the butter over the baking sheet. Carefully transfer the soaked bread from one pan to the other pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes is almost up, melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and brush the top of the bread with the remaining butter, then use a spatula to flip the bread and return it to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the bread is cooked through and the pieces are fluffy and golden. Remove from the oven.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of chocolate hazelnut spread in the microwave for about 1 minute or until it’s smooth and easy to pour. Divide the strawberries evenly among the French toast, then drizzle with the melted spread and top with sweetened whipped cream. Makes 8 slices.