A fun twist on this family favorite–adding cocoa adds a richness, depth, and lots of flavor!
- 1 cup (4.3 ounces) all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into a measuring cup and leveled with a knife
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup AMERICAN HERITAGE® Finely Grated Chocolate Drink*
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, brown sugar, espresso powder (if using), and chocolate drink. Set aside.
- Place a 9″ cast iron skillet into the oven and allow the skillet to heat.
- Place the eggs, milk, and vanilla in the jar of a blender and pulse until blended. Add the flour mixture and blend for 15-20 seconds or until completely smooth.
- Drop the butter into the hot skillet and allow the butter to melt. Carefully (and using a hot pad) tilt the pan so the butter coats the bottom of the pan. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20-24 minutes or until the pancake is puffed. Remove from oven and serve immediately with fresh berries, powdered sugar, and, if desired, syrup.
- *If you don’t have access to the chocolate drink, you can substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder + an additional 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Serving Size: 4