Tender chocolate shortcakes are layered with fresh bananas, fluffy whipped topping and caramel, for a decadent dessert that isn’t too bad for you!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Fat free caramel topping
- 1 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Place shortcake on a cutting board or work surface; cut along score lines with a serrated knife to form 8 wedges.
Make sure not to overwork the dough or overbake, and cut gently to avoid breaking these tender cakes.
This recipe is very slightly adapted from the original in Cooking Light, January 2007 issue.