The perfect sweet & savory holiday appetizer: bright and tangy cranberries combine with spicy jalapenos and are cooled by creamy cream cheese.
- 12 oz bag fresh cranberries, washed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar, more to taste if desired
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- Place cranberries, jalapenos, green onions and cilantro in a food processor and process until fine. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in lime juice, salt, and sugar. Chill in fridge for about 2 hours or more. To serve, spread cream cheese evenly in a pie plate or other shallow serving dish. Spread salsa on top and serve with crackers.
- Feel free to adjust this basic recipe to taste. I like to be heavy-handed with the onion and cilantro, and if you like a kick, add more jalapeno peppers! One recipe makes enough for 2 blocks of cream cheese. Often I’ll just serve it over one block at a time and save the extra salsa for another night.