These creamy, savory grits are perfect for any breakfast or brunch!
- 6 cups water
- 1 pint (2 cups) half and half
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more if necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups quick cooking grits
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup real bacon pieces (you can cook your own or use precooked bacon pieces, just make sure you’re getting real bacon)
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped, divided (optional)
- In a large saucepan (like, the largest pot that came with your cookware set), combine the water, half and half, salt, and pepper. Bring just to a boil (and stir occasionally to prevent the cream from scorching
- Slowly pour the grits into the boiling mixture while whisking continuously–it may splatter, so be careful. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes, whisking very frequently (especially in the beginning).
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir gently until cheese melts and is combined. Add cubed butter and stir until smooth and shiny. Add bacon and 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (if desired) and stir until combined. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 8