- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- Seasoning salt to taste
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, minced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 c. ketchup
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 3 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3–1/2 c. water to reach desired consistency
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6–8 hamburger buns
- Pickle slices
- Chop the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add the beef and brown it, stirring frequently, with the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Season to taste with seasoning salt.
- Add in mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Combine tomato paste and water and add to hamburger mixture. Add more water if desired. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on hamburger buns (we actually love them topped with pickles and served as sliders on King’s Hawaiian Rolls).
- Brown ground beef with onion, green pepper, and garlic. Season to taste with seasoning salt. Transfer to slow cooker. Add in remaining ingredients and combine well. Cook on low for 3-4 hours and serve on hamburger buns.
- Brown ground beef with onion, green pepper, and garlic. Season to taste with seasoning salt. Transfer to a freezer-safe container. Add in remaining ingredients and combine well. Freeze. When ready to cook, transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low to 3-5 hours. Serve on hamburger buns.
- Serving Size: 6