Simple way to make a “gingerbread” house, great activity for kids!
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons meringue powder
- Graham crackers
- candy for decorating
- optional: buttercream for decorating
- optional: cake boards (see post for details)
- In a stand mixer, combine powdered sugar and meringue powder. VERY SLOWLY add water as to not add too much, it takes a minute for it to absorb. Drizzle in water with mixer running until frosting reaches consistency of tooth paste.
- Place icing in piping bag and assemble houses. Wipe off excess frosting at joints. Let dry until hardened and then use buttercream or more royal icing to decorate with desired candies.
- Let sit on counter for days while getting stale and be eaten/destroyed by small children until it drives you so crazy that you throw them all in the trash one day and said children have emotional meltdowns about it. Repeat the following year.
- Make any amount of frosting you like by using ratio of 1 tablespoon meringue powder to 1 cup powdered sugar.