Only TWO ingredients needed for these easy, classy cookies.
2 sheets puff pastry (1 standard box)
2 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thaw puff pastry according to package instructions. Make sure to keep cool in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread 1/2 cup sugar on work surface in a space about the same size as your pastry. Place one puff pastry sheet on top of the sugar and spread an additional 1/2 cup sugar on top. Gently spread around with your hands. Use a rolling pin to gently roll pastry sheet a couple times in all directions. You do not want to roll it thin, just roll to extend about an inch in all directions. You will be pressing sugar into the dough as you roll.
- Fold the right side of the sheet so the edge meets the center of the dough. Repeat with left side. Sprinkle more sugar from your board on top. Repeat process again to fold each side to the center again and sprinkle with sugar. Finally fold the two sides together, like you’re closing a book.
- slice roll into 3/8″ slices and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. These will puff up so they need room to grow!
- Place pan in the center rack OR one notch above center. Do not place on lower rack or they might burn. Bake for about 15-20 minutes total and keep an eye on them. If you are flipping, flip about half way through baking. If not, watch until the tops are lightly golden.
- Cool completely before eating (remember melted sugar is hot!)