Kate’s Stepmom: Hey, girls, would you like some Meow Mix?
Bratty Teenage Kate: [Hides head, utterly convinced she will die of embarrassment.]
So, in the spirit of Halloween, I’ve named this Goblin Grub, but the remaining 11 months of the year, you can probably call it Chewy Almond Coconut Chex Mix. Or something related to drugs or something semi-gross involving animals, that’s cool, too.
You’re going to need some Rice Chex, Golden Grahams, sliced almonds, light corn syrup, vanilla and almond extracts, butter, and unsweetened coconut.
Place the cereal, almonds, and coconut in a VERY LARGE bowl (or even a cookie sheet.
Toss them together and set aside.
In a large saucepan, combine butter, Karo syrup, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for three minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. While the mixture is still hot, pour over the cereal mixture
and stir well so the candy mixture coats the cereal.
This Chewy Coconut-Almond Chex Mix is perfect for parties or a family treat!
- 6 1/2 cups Rice Chex
- 4 1/2 cups Golden Grahams
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a VERY large bowl (or on a cookie sheet), combine cereals, almonds, and coconut. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, Karo syrup, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract. While the mixture is still hot, pour over the cereal mixture and stir well so the candy mixture coats the cereal. Serve in a large bowl or divide into individual portions.