These waffles are truly delicious, and packed with nutrition, too!
- 1 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ*
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar or no-calorie sweetener, like Splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together flour, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl mix together milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and oil and whisk until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until just mixed together, (it’s okay to have some lumps) don’t over-mix.
- Ladle into an electric waffle iron and cook according to your waffle-maker’s instructions until golden brown. (I use a heaping 1/2 cup batter for my 8″ round waffle iron). Serve warm with desired toppings.
- If you choose to omit wheat germ and flaxseed meal, add an additional 4 tablespoons flour (whole wheat or all purpose) instead.
- Lay waffles in a single layer on a baking dish in the freezer for a few hours. When frozen, place in a ziplock bag or freezer container. Reheat in toaster. Can also keep cooled waffles in fridge and reheat in toaster.
- (Calculated using Splenda)
- Serving Size: 1/2 round, 2 triangle wedges
- Calories: 193, Protein: 7, Carbs: 20, Fat: 9, Fiber: 4
- Serving Size: 4