Rich, velvety chocolate is skewered on a stick before dissolving in hot milk to make the ultimate hot chocolate, a perfect easy gift or for a hot chocolate bar!
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces (weighed) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 14 ounces (weighed) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 (weighed) ounces milk chocolate chips
- Line an 8″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and the vanilla. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the milk is steaming. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Stir, then allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, whisk the mixture until it is smooth and shiny. Transfer the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top as much as possible. Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
- After the chocolate has chilled, invert the pan and transfer the chocolate onto a clean surface. Using a sharp knife, lightly make 6 score marks 1 1/2″ apart in one direction and then repeat in the opposite direction. Run the knife under hot water, wipe dry, then cut straight down along one of the lines. Run the knife under hot water, wipe, cut, and repeat until you have 36 blocks that are more or less the same size.
- Insert a large lollipop stick, wooden apple/candy stick, or even disposable wooden spoons into the middle of each chocolate cube.
- To serve, melt the chocolate cube in 8-10 ounces of hot milk. You can add in crushed peppermint candies, chocolate covered mint candy pieces (like Andes mints), caramel drops, marshmallows, or crushed toffee pieces.
- To give as gifts, add 1-2 spoonfuls of the add-ins to the bottom of a cellophane bag. Add a hot chocolate on a stick, then tie with a ribbon.