Today is Valentine’s Day, which also feels like a fabulous time to treat yo self! These are 9 of my favorite things that I’m loving these days! Best of all, most of these are things just for you, so if you’re looking for a little something extra for yourself, you’ve come to the right place.
- I’ve tried a whole bunch of letterboards and Jut Made Boards are hands-down my favorite! I love that they’re a little different and that they’re highly customizable–there aren’t any lines and the boards/letters are magnetic, so you can do so many cute, creative things with them! Not only that, but they have adorable design packs and you can even get your last name (like I have here) or your company logo by following this link! Even better, you can get 20% off your order if you use the code BITES20 when you check out!
2. I have tried just about every protein bar out there. I am a protein bar (and protein shake) snob. I’ll be upfront, I don’t like very many of them…they all taste fake and too sweet and it feels like the artificial flavors are covering up something terrible. So I mean it when I say G2G Bars are amazing and delicious and worth every penny. I don’t know how they do it, but they somehow taste like cookie dough but have 18 grams of protein. My favorite flavors are peanut butter coconut chocolate and peanut butter chocolate chip, but I recommend ordering the variety pack for your first order so you can figure out what you want. I ALWAYS have these in my fridge (and yes, they’re expensive, but I eat one for breakfast or lunch almost every day and figure that’s about what I would spend, if not less, on those meals.) My kids are banned from eating them except in the most dire of circumstances. If you use the code KATEBITES, you can get 20% off your order!
3. So I’ll be honest. I’ve always thought face masks were fun, but I’ve never actually noticed a difference in my skin. Until I was gifted this Bliss Mighty Marshmallow Mask from Target a little while back.
and everything changed–I can actually see a visible difference in my skin when I use it, plus the texture is absolutely dreamy. Be sure and use these…
4. Facial Mask Brushes to apply it (for no other reason than it feels really good to use a soft brush on your face, haha.)
5. If you love folksy music like old school Mumford and Sons and The Avett Brothers, I bet you’ll love The Ghost of Paul Revere.
If you want something a little more funky, I wholeheartedly recommend St. Paul and the Broken Bones.
6. I ordered this State String Art after we came home from our Utah vacation last year. I realized after I ordered it that it was coming from Russia and I have very low expectations, but it arrived sooner than some things I ordered from the US, it was absolutely perfect, and the shopowner was fantastic to work with. She even has patterns if you or one of your kids is interested in doing string art.
7. I get lots of questions about the TV shows I’ve been watching. One that I discovered not too long ago was Atypical on Netflix. It’s about a teenage boy on the autism spectrum who decides he wants a girlfriend, but it’s really more than that–it’s about growing up, families, betrayal, forgiveness, and love. It’s a little mature–maybe in the TV14 range, not really a FAMILY show (but maybe for teenagers.)
8. My youngest and I have started reading the Harry Potter series together, which is a rite of passage in our family and is giving me all the feels all over again. As someone who’s quite prone to anxiety and worrying about the future, I found this beautiful watercolor print with one of my favorite Hagrid quotes on it.
9. Okay, I’ve been very hesitant to put Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on this list because it is in NO way family-friendly and I wasn’t really up for the judgy emails. So let it be known that a) it takes a lot to bother me when it comes to language…I was an English major, which, by the end, meant reading plenty of books with plenty of f-bombs by the time I graduated, even though I was attending a religious university. I realize that other people are more sensitive that I am. My warnings and the Amazon ratings are legit. This makes Mad Men look like Sesame Street. That said, it is easily the funniest, most well-written, best-constructed TV show I’ve watched in a long, long time. It’s from the creators of Gilmore Girls and I feel like they’ve learned from the past and have made the good things (rapid fire, smart, hilarious dialogue, storytelling, endearing and flawed characters) without the bad things (self-indulgent storytelling, overly long and drawn-out seasons.) It’s about a woman in the late 1950s who had it all…and then everything fell apart, at which point, she discovers she’s a natural stand-up comedian.
Okay! That’s it! Happy Valentine’s Day, my friends! Now go and treat yo self!!