A quick and flavorful side dish, especially delicious with grilled chicken or fish!
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (plus more to taste if desired)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian herbs (any combination of basil, rosemary, thyme, and/or oregano)
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon or two small lemons
- In a large pot or skillet, combine the rice, water, and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to stand (covered) for 5 minutes.
- When the rice is done, remove the lid and stir in the butter, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Toss in the herbs and transfer to a serving dish. Top with freshly grated lemon rind and, if desired, additional salt and pepper.