A handful of simple and delicious ingredients makes this great side salad, good to pair with just about anything.
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher or coarse-grained salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup olive or vegetable oil (depending on your preference)
- 1 generous pinch dried oregano
For the Salad
- 5 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 5 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- about 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for cooking the prosciutto)
- To prepare the dressing, combine all the ingredients except for the oil and oregano in the jar of a blender. Blend until smooth, then, with the blender running, add the oil in a steady stream. Turn off the blender, add the oregano, and pulse 2-3 times or until combined. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the prosciutto and cook until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, cheese, onions, and crispy prosciutto. Lightly drizzle some of the dressing on the salad and toss until combined. Serve immediately with additional dressing on the side, refrigerating any dressing leftovers.
- Serving Size: 10