An easy holiday sugar cookie with no rolling and cutting required!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (plus more for rolling)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies or candycanes
- optional: melted chocolate for drizzling
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla and peppermint extracts and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low, slowly add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- If dough is extra soft, refrigerate for 30-60 minutes until firmed up. Place about 1/2 cup extra sugar in a dish. Use a cookie scoop to make uniform size balls and roll them in the sugar and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using a buttered and sugared bottom of a flat-bottomed drinking glass, flatten each ball just slightly (about 3/4-inch thickness) and sprinkle with with peppermint candies.
- Bake until edges are set and beginning to barely brown but centers are still soft and puffy, 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheet for 10 minutes. Serve warm, or transfer to wire rack and cool completely. If desired, drizzle with a little chocolate.
- These cookies are great sandwiched with peppermint or chocolate ice cream, too!