And easy way to cook mashed potatoes, in just minutes in your pressure cooker. Slowcooker instructions also included in notes.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2–1 cup whipping cream
- optional: 1/2 cup sour cream
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Chives, if desired
- Cut each potato in half across equator. Place rack (if you have one) in an electric pressure cooker and place potatoes on top. Do not exceed the “max fill” line (in my pot, 5lbs potatoes fit perfectly). Add water.
- Secure lid on pot according to directions and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. When finished, quick release steam and open pot.
- Heat butter in microwave until melted. Stir in 1/2 cup cream (this helps warm the cream).
- Potatoes will be hot, but use a paper towel to grab them and squeeze the potato out of the skin and into a bowl. Using an electric mixer, stand mixer, or hand-masher, whip up potatoes and add butter and cream. Add either additional 1/2 cup cream, or sour cream, a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Add 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste!) and several generous cracks of black pepper.
- Place potatoes in bowl and garnish with chives, and a little extra melted butter, if desired.
- Yields 8-10 large servings or 10-12 smaller ones.