A delicious cream scone, with an autumn-y spice makeover.
For the Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (dark or light)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons real butter, straight from the fridge
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pumpkin
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk together. Cut butter into small chunks and add to dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter, or clean hands to gently break the butter up into pebble-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream, vanilla, egg, and pumpkin. Add wet ingredients to dry and use a fork to gently combine until a cohesive dough forms. Gently pat into a round ball and pat down until it’s about 1 inch thick. Use a small amount of flour on your surface if necessary. (optional step: brush top of dough disk with a little cream and sprinkle with sugar) Cut into 6 wedges and separate onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just barely golden and a toothpick comes out of the center without any wet dough on it. Place scones on a cooling rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Whisk until smooth, adding more cream, or more sugar, until a good glazing consistency is reached. Drizzle over scones. Store in an airtight container.
- Remember to use cold, straight-from-the-fridge butter.