A fantastic need-something-sweet-quick treat, perfect for fall.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife (high elevations can add 2 additional tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (make your own here)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 recipe Perfect Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13″ pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer if you’d like to use one), whisk together the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk in eggs. When the mixture is combined completely, slowly add in the flour mixture, beating until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean (times can vary widely depending on individual ovens).
- When done, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely. While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting and when the cake is completely cool, spread with the icing. Makes 12 servings.
- Serving Size: 12