- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: a few dashes nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cream (or milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. My original recipe specifies a 15 x 10-inch pan, but my pan is about 13 x 17, so anything in that arena shoud be good. Set pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and beat until mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, until tested with toothpick and just moist crumbs attach.
- Right when cake comes out of oven, begin frosting.
- Heat butter, brown sugar, cream, and salt in a pot until melted and combined. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Let cool to luke warm (about 10 minutes) and then beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Adjust consistency by adding more powdered sugar to thicken, or more cream or milk (little by little) to thin. Use immediately as frosting will thicken upon standing.
- Frost when just barely warm and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon to garnish.
- This cake is also fantastic with a classic Cream Cheese Frosting or our Brown Butter Frosting.