Well, I don’t care that’s it’s not 1989. Fruit Pizzas are fun, festive, and delicious. Timeless, really. This one is no exception!
For the crust
- 1 c. real butter (no substitutions!)
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 egg (make sure to use a large or extra large egg)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- Zest of 1 orange
For the topping
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese (light cream cheese is fine)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
For the pizza topping
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced, and patted dry
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 c. dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy–about 2 minutes. Add in egg and extract and mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined. Add the orange zest and mix until combined.
- Spray a round pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray and using your hands and a rolling pin, spread the dough out to the edges of the pan. If desired, you can add a decorative finish (like fluting) to the edges of the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake the crust, preheat your oven to 350. Bake the crust for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and completely baked in the center. If you prefer a crisper crust, you can bake the crust for a longer amount of time. Allow to cool completely.
- When the crust is almost cool, use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese, orange extract, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whip the cream and powdered sugar until medium peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and combine well.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Arrange the berries as desired over the creamy topping. Place the chocolate chips in a heavy-duty small Ziploc bag and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mashing the bag around until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Cut a small corner off the bag and drizzle the chocolate over the berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
A very important note
- It’s important to correctly measure your flour or you will end up with a dry, crumbly dough. Never, ever use your measuring cup to scoop up the flour. Use a regular sized spoon and spoon the flour into the cup and then level it off with a knife.
- Serving Size: 12