Super quick and easy homemade salted caramel ice cream with flaky sea salt and from-scratch caramel ribbons. If you’d like extra caramel for topping, double the caramel sauce part!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) real butter
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- flaky sea salt (like Maldon) to taste
- To make ice cream, whisk together all ice cream ingredients and process in your ice cream maker.
- For caramel, heat butter, brown sugar and cream in a pot on the stove top, stirring until melted and smoothed. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt to taste. Start with 1/4 teaspoon salt and add more if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- When ice cream is finished churning, layer it in a freezer-safe container and drizzle caramel in as you go. If desired, sprinkle in a little bit of flaky sea salt as well.
- Freeze until firm and serve with additional caramel if desired.