A cantaloupe on a green salad? With Dijon dressing? Why not! Live life on the edge! The surprising mix of flavors combines perfectly for a great summer meal.
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cantaloupe, peeled and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 4 ounces)
- Dijon Vinaigrette to taste
- DIJON VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5–6 turns of coarsely ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used our Lemon Olive Oil; garlic or regular would also be delicious)
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. While whisking, very slowly add in the olive oil (this can also be done in a blender while the blender is running) until the dressing is thick and the oil is completely integrated into the vinegar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the salad, soak the sliced onion in ice water for about 10 minutes. Place the sliced strawberries, sliced cucumbers, chopped cantaloupe, and drained onions in a large bowl. Gently toss with 4 cups of baby spinach. Either dress the entire salad with about 1/3 cup of the dressing, or add the dressing to individual servings (that’s how I like to do it, especially if we’re not going to eat it all at once).
- Serving Size: 8