Call me biased, but this the best sugar cookie recipe out there. Soft, thick, and chewy – perfect for decorating, too!
- 1 cup real butter (no substitutions!) at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (make sure to use a large or extra large egg)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (or other flavor of your choice, like vanilla)
- 3 C flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled (don’t scoop it!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 2 minutes. Add in egg and extract and mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. A very important note: It’s important to correctly measure your flour or you will end up with a dry, crumbly dough. Never, ever use your measuring cup to scoop up the flour. Use a regular sized spoon and spoon the flour into the cup and then level it off with a knife.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or (and this is our preferred method), lay a sheet of parchment paper on the counter, roll the dough to the desired thickness, and top with another layer of parchment. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.)
- When you’re ready to roll out dough lightly sprinkle flour onto your work surface and roll out dough with a rolling pin.
- Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes. The baking time really depends on how you like them. If you like them really and slightly chewy, about 8-9 minutes does it. If you like them slightly crisp and buttery, then go for 10-12.