Hearty and satisfying, this is one of our all-time favorite soups!
- 3 links Italian sausage
- 4 cloves pressed garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ c. water
- 2 15-oz. cans chicken broth
- ½ c. apple cider (don’t leave this out! I did once and it wasn’t the same…)
- 1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 c. sliced carrots
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (great way to use your food processor if you have one
- 8–10 oz. package cheese tortellini (check the freezer section of your grocery store; if you can find it there, it will almost always be way cheaper than fresh tortellini. Also, Barilla makes a great dry cheese tortellini)
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley (yes, that’s two tablespoons)
- If you’re using link sausage, remove the casings and crumble into a large soup pot. To remove the casings, you can use a sharp knife to cut a slit down one side of the sausage and then peel back the casing.
- Chop onion and add to pot with garlic and a drizzle of olive oil. Continue cooking until onions are translucent and your sausage is cooked. Your house will smell heavenly.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, cider, water, chicken broth, carrots, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour. Add parsley and zucchini and simmer for another 15 minutes or so. Add the tortellini and cook until tender, and then serve with bread and freshly-grated Parmesan.
- If you need to thin out leftovers, just add a little additional broth.