I came up with this yummy salad dressing to mimic the flavors in these Thai Peanut Noodles that we love around here. Try it on the Thai Noodle Salad it’s made for, or any other Asian inspired dinner salad. It’s even great basted on chicken skewers or used as a veggie dip!

Thai Peanut Salad Dressing
Print Recipe Text Only

1/2 C peanut butter
1 lime, juiced and zested
2 1/2 t sesame oil
1 T seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
3 T honey
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 T minced ginger
1/2 C roughly chopped cilantro (stems and all)
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/4 t kosher salt*
2-3 t sriracha chili sauce*
2-4 T water*

*The need for salt may differ depending on the brand of PB you use. Taste first and then add.
*I use 3 t Sriaracha, but you may want more or less depending on your preference of heat levels. Again, taste first and then add.
*Lastly, the addition of the water is purely for consistency which again, depends on the PB brand you use. Add water until you get the consistency you want, or leave it out completely.

Place everything in a blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 2 cups.

Store in the fridge and serve on Thai Peanut Noodle Salad.

Kevin says:

That is one tasty peanut dressing!

Mary Kelly says:

ooooo… I feel like I will use this dressing on everything. Love all the flavors!

Go Cards says:

looks yummy, I notice you have a blendtec, do you like it? I am looking into getting one or a vitamix (sp). And am wondering why you picked yours?
    thanks.
    T

Kim says:

Vita mix! There is so much hype around blend tec right now. Vita prep has been around for a very long time! They are used in restaurants and for home use. We have had ours for 10 years and I use it an average of 3 times a day. Sur La Table has a lifetime warranty as well. Happy shopping.

Randy and Diann says:

I'm new here, only a 3 day reader. I noticed your web address on a good friend's blog and had to check it out, because I love to cook. Every recipe looks so fabulous and tasty, the pictures looks so wonderful!! I can't wait to try them all. Have you ever have heard of the restaurant Rumbi? My hubby and I love that place – I usually get the Hawaiian Teriyaki Rice Bowl and he loves the Bali Island. He wants me to try making the Bali Island at home, but I haven't the darnest idea how to make it. I've looked all over the internet and I'm thinking this Thai Peanut Salad Dressing might be the closest thing I could find???

Diann- welcome! I'm glad you found us. I have eaten at Rumbi, but it's been a long time since they don't have them here where I live :( But if you want to arrange to have a Bali Island sent to my doorstep I'd be happy to re-create a recipe for you! ;) I hope this dressing does the trick!

Randy and Diann says:

Thanks Sara. I will definitely try the dressing to see if it does the trick. If not, I might just have to send the Bali Island to you! :o) Thanks!

Mary Kelly says:

In the pictures there is ginger but not in the recipe? Should I add a little ginger or is the flavor too strong since it is a raw sauce?

Mary Kelly- Kate just called me on the phone to ask me the same thing! Silly me forgot to write that down, but yes there is most certainly fresh ginger in the recipe. I'm guessing I put in about a tablespoon of grated, fresh ginger. Try that out and then add more to taste if you need it!

olivia's mommy says:

hey ladies!
    Quick question – I made this (the whole salad) over the weekend for a bridal shower and it was a HUGE hit! However… I could not get my dressing to look ANYTHING like yours! It was a very unappetizing greenish brown color and had tons of cilantro specs in it…. what do i need to do differently!? Tasted amazing though! :O)
    thanks! Sara

Well Sara, you *are* blending cilantro and PB, so greenish-brown is what you're going to get! lol. If you have tons of specs that you don't want, I'd say just blend it longer. I suppose the brand of peanut butter could make a difference too? Or the amount of cilantro- did you put in extra? Either way, once it's all on the salad, you don't really notice a "color" so I say just stir it in and eat it up! I'm glad it was a hit at the shower!

olivia's mommy says:

lol well yes Sara i DO realize that greenish brown is the 'natural' outcome of the mixture – BUT yours looks soooo much prettier!! i might have put in a little extra cilantro, i have been known to do that…. hmm i guess i'll just try blending it extra long next time! (also i think i need to invest in a 'real' blender… so far i've done the cilantro/lime/ranch dressing every other week or so – and this one in my little magic bullet blender!
    i'm catering the wedding (and doing the cake! aak!) at the end of august and this dish was specifically requested! thanks again! – you guys' recipes are the BEST!! i can always count on them being amazing! :O)

Jennifer Dy says:

I’m brand new to this website, going on 4 wks now, and I must say EVERYTHING I’ve tried from this website was DELICIOUS and a hit with friends and co-workers! I’ve passed your website along to them as well! Keep up the fantastic work!! Love you guys! =)

Meghan says:

Would it work to make this in a food processor? I actually don’t have a blender! But I have a Cuisinart, both large and mini.

Lexy says:

I notice you use Kosher Salt a lot. I guess I never have bought it, but what is the difference between that and the regular salt I use? Does it make a big difference in the dish?

Lexy says:

So I browsed around your site more and found your “All about Salt” article! Mystery solved on the use of salt. Very interesting facts. Great Site!

Janis says:

I don’t make Thai dishes often…Can the red sauce be purchased at any grocery store or do you need to buy it from the link? Thanks. I am going to try to make this for a baby shower on the 20th.

Sriracha is really accessible, it should be easily found in most major grocery stores. Just look for it in the foreign food aisle!

kim says:

Just had this at a friends house a few weeks ago and made it last night for dinner. I used the Asian BBQ chicken recipe from this site for the chicken. It was amazing. Thank you! We love all the recipes!

Dana says:

I LOVE this! I think I could drink it for a meal…..SO To decrease cals, I used 1/4 c. water, 1/4 c. canola oil and it turned out perfect!! I’m going to serve it with sauteed veggies and noodles. YUM.

Danielle says:

Did anyone hear from Diane if the sauce is like the sauce from Rumbi?? I am wanting to make that as well and have not been able to find a recipe :-(

Cait says:

Made this twice now – it has become a favorite for my boyfriend and me! So good!

Anyone ever tried this with almond butter or sunflower nut butter instead of pb? I LOVE the dressing as is, but my daughter is allergic to peanuts. Wonder how it would turn out with another nut butter…

Katherine says:

I made this tonight with Hawaiian Haystacks but I’m out of milk for the traditional sauce, so I decided to look into something else and gave this peanut dressing a try and it was SSSOOOOO GOOD!!! My husband instantly asked “what it was, what was in it, and this is a keeper this would be good on….” and 5 minutes later he was done so thank you for de-yummy-lishisness. I know that’s not a word but it just worked. YUMMY!!

Sonja says:

I just used this on the base of my thai pizza. It was AMAZING!