When I’ve got tomatoes from the garden I dream about allll the Caprese recipes, all the time. My favorite way to eat a classic Caprese salad is on slices of toasted baguette, but the other day when I was picking zucchini I realized it might be the perfect size for all those scrumptious garden layers. I tried it out yesterday and it was SO good. I literally ate this entire plate for lunch.
These can be served either hot or at room temp, or even chilled. I like using a medium sized zucchini- so the slices are about the same size as you’d get with a long baguette. However if you’ve got big fat tomatoes, you may want to go with a big fat zucchini to match. Up to you!
Slice the zucchini in 1/4-inch thick slices at a slight angle. Brush or toss with a little olive oil (I used our Basil Olive Oil) and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
Grill them for a few minutes on each side and then spread on a little pesto.
Fresh Mozzarella comes next
And then those tomato slices.
The finishing touches are just as important as the main characters in a dish like this. Sprinkle with kosher salt, and fresh cracked black pepper. Drizzle with some good olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar. And obviously by good olive oil I mean our olive oil 😉 I used basil oil on the grilled zucchini and used our bestselling garlic for drizzling after. I also used Blackberry Balsamic for drizzling. Don’t be put off by the thought of pairing blackberry here, it’s just sweet and tangy and perfect. Honestly any of our balsamics would be great on there.
You can eat these as an appetizer, or an easy side dish paired with some simple grilled chicken. Larger ones would even be a great meatless main dish.
Any way you serve it, enjoy the fresh bounty of summer before it’s gone!
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 2-3 plum tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh basil
- Preheat indoor grill pan or outdoor grill.
- Slice zucchini at an angle into 1/4-inch slices. Brush or toss lightly in olive oil and sprinkle both sides lightly with salt and pepper. Lay zucchini in a single layer on grill and cook for a few minutes on each side until grill marks appear and zucchini is slightly tender.
- Remove from grill and place on serving plate. Spread a light layer of pesto on each slice. Layer cheese on top, followed by tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and then sprinkle basil on top as desired.
- Serve warm, room temp, or chilled.
- Measurements are obviously approximate. Just eyeball it- you get the drill!