Update: We won the BH&G Cook-Off! Take a look at our winning recipe!
BBQ Bacon Sliders with Blue Cheese and Crispy Onions.
We also combine it with a tangy Blue Cheese Spread (which is simply this dressing without the milk). And if you’re not a fan of blue cheese, the spread is still awesome without it! But give it a shot- it really just adds a tang that goes great with the bbq sauce.
While those mini burgers are on the grill we bathe them in an amazing bbq sauce (and you could totally take a short-cut and use a bottled sauce if you’d rather)
While those little guys are cooking, start assembling. First the bottom halves of the buns are spread with the sauce and topped with a crisp, cold lettuce leaf and a slice of bacon.
then put on a warm burger
and top with a little pile of shoestring onions.
Finally the top bun goes on with more sauce. Are you wondering how something could be both mouthwatering AND adorable?? I know, we’re awesome like that. 😉 Sliders are great because you can eat a whole burger and still have some room for sides to balance out the meal. They’re also great for parties or appetizers too.
BBQ Bacon Sliders with Blue Cheese and Crispy Onions
- 11/2 lbs high-quality 85/15 ground Angus
- 1/2 C BBQ sauce (or your favorite bottled BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8-10 small white dinner rolls, or Hawaiian sweet rolls, sliced in half and toasted if desired
- 8-10 crisp lettuce leaves
- 8-10 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese (not a blue cheese fan? Leave it out!)
- Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread: Combine mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and garlic. Mix well and stir in crumbled blue cheese. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Burgers: Heat a grill pan on the stove top, or an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Combine beef, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, salt and pepper. Divide and shape mixture into 8-10 3/4"-thick patties (keep the size of your buns in mind as wells the fact that the burgers will shrink quite a bit while cooking when shaping the patties). Grill for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Brush the top side of each burger with remaining sauce. Continue grilling for another 2 minutes and flip burgers again, brushing the other side with additional sauce. Continue to cook and baste until the internal temperature of the burgers reach 160-165 degrees.
- To assemble: Lightly spread the bottom half of each bun with Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread and top with a lettuce leaf. Break each bacon piece in half and place on top of lettuce leaves. Place burger on top and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Top with a small handful of Crispy Shoestring Onions. Spread remaining Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread on top halves of buns.
Don’t forget the Crispy Shoestring Onions!