Posted in Kate, Yeast Breads

I’m starting to think that these breadsticks have actual magical powers. Seriously. These puppies have helped me make instantaneous friends at church functions when I’m the new girl and made sad people happy. My friend Natalie, who used to work as my secretary (when I was an apartment manager; I’m not cool enough to actually have a personal secretary), loved these breadsticks; I’m pretty sure she only put up with the mind-numbing inanity of the world of apartment managing because there was a reasonable guarantee that she would get breadsticks on a semi-regular basis.

I can’t take all the credit. Or any of it, really. This is my friend Lisa’s recipe. But I use it for everything–pocket sandwiches (like Hot Pockets, only not gross), breakfast pocket sandwiches, pizza crust, pizza pockets, whatever. I actually have this recipe printed out, laminated, and hung on the inside of one of my cupboard doors. One major advantage is that this dough is very, very forgiving, so a it’s great yeast dough to start with if you’re a yeast dough virgin.

Breadsticks

1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 1/2 c. flour

In a large bowl (the bowl of your mixer, if you have one), combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.

Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and your humidity) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.

Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl.
Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Remove from bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll into a rectangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter.

Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and then drape over your forefinger and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining 11 pieces of dough. Try to space them evenly, but it’s okay if they’re close; pulling apart hot bread is one of life’s greatest pleasures!

Cover pan and allow dough to rise for another 30 minutes. Look how fat and happy they are…

When there’s about 15 minutes to go, preheat your oven to 425. When done rising, bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Rub some butter on top of the breadsticks (just put a ziploc bag on your hand, grab some softened butter, and have at it) and sprinkle with garlic bread seasoning or the powdery Parmesan cheese in a can and garlic salt.

Or you could sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. I did that once. It was awesome.

Sara says:

Mmmm…I love these breadsticks. Sometimes, before I twist them up, I spread on the butter and sprinkle on seasonings so it’s all twisted up and cooked into the middle too. I really must try them with cinnamon sugar too, that sounds so yummy!

Erin says:

I’m not one to generally shamelessly plug my own blog, but I was just raving about The Daily Bite on my blog when I came over and saw your poll and had to laugh out loud (I know you through a friend). If you want to check out my rave, it’s here: http://www.thewimmerfamily.blogspot.com

I’m totally going to make these breadsticks, by the way!

Sara says:

Erin, you’re so cute. Thanks for the shout-out! Kate and I both love Marcy so any friend of hers is a friend of ours! Your family is darling by the way!

Hillary says:

Lisa rocks! I’ll be forever in her debt for her breadstick and pizza dough recipe. I use it all the time!

Eric says:

I usually only comment on my wife’s stuff, apprently she’s made these before, but they look way good…

Lisa says:

Wow, it is great to be famous. And yes, these breadsticks are truly the best. They are a sure-fire way to impress people. And it is really yummy to sprinkle shredded Mozzarella over the dough before you cut them into strips. Then you twist them up with the cheese. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Kate says:

Erin, feel free to shamelessly plug your blog anytime! :) You’re awesome! :)

Shelby says:

looks so yummy! i tried out a breadstick recipe not that long ago and it did NOT turn out very yummy. i’m excited to try this one.

Suzie says:

your blog is just lovely. one I’m sure I’ll check in on!
    thanks for sharing all you do!

Robyn says:

I tried these last night and they were wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!

Blah Blah Blog says:

I found your blog from a babycenter post and I LOVE it. I already tried the creamy lemon bars and they were delicious. I didn’t put two and two together until today and realize that this is lemonade… cool.
    thanks for the good recipes.
    -bethany (betnotbe)

Kate says:

Hey, Bethany! :) I’m glad you found us! And yeah, those lemon bars are pure evil. Evil, evil Sara.

*Lynnette* says:

These look so good! They look like Pizza Factory Breadsticks! I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

Maddie says:

So, I made these breadsticks tonight and boy, were they delicious! I used wheat flour (that was all I had) and they turned out heavenly. Huge hit.

Taco Chicken last night, breadsticks tonight, and I think I’ll do the tomato soup tomorrow night!

I’m lovin’ your recipes!

Mary says:

Yum, these were so good and incredibly easy to make. The seasoning was really good, too. I usually just do garlic salt and parmesean cheese, but I really like the added herbs.

Leah says:

A few questions. Are you using Bread Flour? Is there a good reason not to let the dough rise in a metal bowl and also do you mean to add 3-4 more cups of flour in the recipe for a total of 4.5 to 5.5 cups? All the recipes I have tried have been great. Thanks for the wonderful site.

Kate says:

Hi, Leah! Hopefully I’ll answer all your questions. I just use regular, all-purpose flour and you’ll want a *total* of 3.5-4.5 c. of flour. I just say a metal or glass bowl because they retain heat better, so you’ll get a better rise, but with this dough, you can use just about anything because it’s so forgiving. Hope that helps! :)

Leah says:

OK, I must have done it right, because they turned out amazing. I have told most of the moms in our playgroup about this site. The food is wonderful. Keep up the good work and recipes. Is there a way to request something or a recipie? If so I have been looking for YEARS for a good Sourdough starter… I would love to know any secrets.

liso. says:

These are awesome! I made them this weekend when my in-laws came over and they went FAST!

The Veaters says:

I love your blog! I made these tonight and the seasoning was SUPER good, but I must have done something wrong with the yeast or something because they didn’t rise nearly as big as yours did, and they tasted a bit yeasty as well. Any ideas about what I might have done wrong? I’d love to hear!

Kate says:

Veaters (I’m guessing that’s not your first name! :) )–

Yeast can be tricky! I can’t say for sure what the problem was, but I’ve noticed that yeasty taste sometimes when I’m initially activating the yeast with the water and let it go a little (or a lot… ;) ) too long. Is your yeast fresh? That could explain the problems rising and the yeasty taste, too.

I’ve mentioned it before, but I really like to use bread machine yeast because it’s less moody than regular yeast and it puffs up better with less effort on my part.

Anyway, hope that helped! If you try them again, let us know how they worked out! :)

Rachel says:

I made these tonight along with guiltless alfredo. Thank you so much! My hubby loved it. I used bread flour and instant yeast and they turned out great. Next time I will have to try them with the seasonings…..

Andrea says:

I was perfectly happy with my old breadsticks until I tasted these. They are AWESOME! Especially with the Garlic Bread Seasoning. I made them with half whole-wheat flour this last time and, although not quite as light and fluffy, they were still very good. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

cook.read.love says:

Tried ‘em. Loved ‘em. Will make ‘em again. I love the cinnamon sugar suggestion! The garlic seasoning you suggested was good, too. Thanks!

Sheila says:

These are great! I used the recipe to make coiled bread sticks for my son’s birthday party; they were called a “basket of coiled snakes”. A huge hit!

imajacobs says:

I used this recipe for pizza crust and it was great! Now I’m making breadsticks and realized that there’s no kneading involved. Is that right?

Russell says:

Wow…these look awesome!! Just stumbled across your site from a random link to the stuffed pizza rolls, and I gotta say, you've got a LOT of quality recipes!! I'm waiting for the oven to heat up to put in the breadsticks I just twisted up myself, mmmMMM!! I followed your dough recipe to the T and everything went as planned. Just wanted to say thanks…from a new reader…and what appears to be the only guy reading this site, lol ;)

Russell says:

I had to update… So, I finished the stix and if you want to know if I thought they were delicious, all I can tell you is I just ate four of them…almost at once I think. Will definitely be making these again, but next time I might take Lisa's suggestion of sprinkling some Mozz over the raw dough…that sounds dangerous!!

Katy says:

These are great!!! I think what made them so wonderful was the garlic bread seasoning (which I also used your recipe for!!). Thank you!!!

I hope you don't mind, but I posted about them on my blog!

Jeff and Jody says:

I don't remember how I came across a link to your blog but have made a handfull of your recipes and think you both are amazing!! Everything I've made has turned out de-lish. I read your 'about me''s and nearly cried recognizing I was not the only Western Girl living a transplant life here in Louisiana, ha ha. I recently posted this breadstick recipe on my blog (along with many praises to your site) hope that's okay :)

LanceandMandyBird says:

Seriously! You two can't make anything "meh". Everything I've made from here is stinking great! I love love the pizza bites! Keep it up!

Katie says:

Are there any special directions for doing it into pizza dough?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Katie–Check out our pizza tutorial at:

Basically, you only do the first rise before topping your pizza and baking it.

Hope that helps! :)

Katie says:

Another quick question…is the recipe for just one pizza's worth of dough?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Katie–it depends on how thinly you roll the dough/like your pizza. I would say it makes 1 thicker-crusted pizza or two crusts that are on the thin side.

Em says:

I made these tonight with the Tortellini Sausage recipe and we loved both the soup and breadsticks. My husband said, 'this is a keeper!' before he had swallowed his first bite of breadstick. I might recommend that you clarify the 3.5 to 4.5 cups of flour *total* in this recipe. I figured it out by watching the consistency of the dough, but it was a little confusing (although you did specify in the comments, I notice). And it would also be extra helpful if you mentioned that when you drape the 'snake' of dough over your finger, you mean in half. I was glad you had photos, as that clarified! I'm not trying to be a complainer! I'm forever grateful for your delicious recipes. I refer to your website all the time on my blog and mention it to all my friends. Haven't ever come across a bummer of a recipe!! They're all keepers!! Thanks!!

lance, miss, & my says:

if I wanted to make the dough in my bread machine, do you know how much flour I would use? I wonder if it'd work still! seems like it should…anyone tried it? https://www.blogger.com/captcha?type=IMAGE&captchaKey=1s3jr4vkxt9dothanks!:)

lance, miss, & my says:

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Lance, Missy & Amp–I have no idea, lol! :) I have had nothing but big, fat failure from my bread machine, so I'm no hope whatsoever. If I had to GUESS, though, 3 1/2 c. total seems to be a good, safe amount.

lance, miss, & my says:

ok, I was the one w/ the question on the breadmaker. I did it, and they were AWESOME. thanks! I used 3 1/2 cups of flour, and just put it on the dough cycle. after I followed the directions to let them rise, etc. yum, yum, yum!:)

lance, miss, & my says:

Thanks so much for coming back with a report!

Kelly says:

These look delicious. I've made different roll recipes but never breadsticks! I have two questions:

In the recipe you don't mention kneading the dough. Does this recipe not require kneading?

Also, the recipe says, "add flour and mix well." For best results, is this with a mixer, or by hand?

Thank you and many thanks also for your wonderful blog! I've tried several recipes with great success.

This is probably so simple, but I'm confused about the rolling/twisting technique. When you say roll it out like a snake do you mean into a long tube/cylinder shape and then twist? From your picture I don't think that what I'm thinking would make them look the way yours do? Any help would be appreciated, I'm making them for my sons bday party on Fri. My email is [email protected].

Emily, sorry to confuse you- it's totally my bad! Kate does mean to roll them in a cylinder shape before twisting, but I snapped these pictures the last time I made them and I completely forgot that step! The good news is that it doesn't really matter, they will still taste great either way, but I do think they look a little prettier if you roll them into a round shape before you twist them.

Yadira says:

Wow these are the best. I made them last friday for my family and then again lastnight for a family dinner and everyone loved them. And it is such an easy recipe. Thanks so much for you wonderful recipes.

Tif says:

I saw these on 320 Sycamore and knew I had to make them! They look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

Christine says:

Wow, thank you so much for this recipe. I made the dough and used it for the cheesy garlic bread sticks, cin-sugar sticks for a dessert and strombollis. The dough is so light and fuffy and full of goodness. I have found my new go to recipe for all things to do with pizza or bread sticks!

Hendra says:

Thank You so much for the recipe. I was craving for bread stick (don't ask me why. No I am not pregnant since it is impossible for me to do so and I hope my wife isn't haha) and decided to google for recipe. I found your website and bake the bread stick over the weekend. It was a hit… everybody in the house loves it. We eat the bread stick with spaghetti marinara sauce. I have one question though… Did you guys have hard time rolling the dough? Mine was so persistent and keeps wanting to go back to its original shape.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Hendra! My guess is that you probably added a touch too much flour–sometimes they're hard to roll out and they kind of bounce back like that.

Anyway, try adding a bit less flour next time and see if that helps! I'm glad you found us and hope you stick around! :)

Hendra says:

Thank You Kate for the tips! My wife begs for more so I will make some more this weekend with less flour and let you know what is the outcome.

I am also planning to make the chicken-bacon stuffed pizza rolls once I get the dough sorted out :D.

Katie says:

Okay, I must just be completely blind, but I can't find the directions anywhere on the site for turning these into hot sandwiches. Can you point me in the right direction?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Katie! Here's the link to the hot sandwiches:

Faithfully, Confused says:

I just wanted to let you know that I totally believe that your dough DOES have magical powers. My husband actually said (as he wolfed down his 4th slice of pizza) that it was one of the greatest moments of his life! And he's like one of the pickiest eaters I know. I am so in love with this dough I could marry it (I know- too much, right? But that is how much I love this recipe).

And your blog is seriously the best out there. Keep it up!

Bethany says:

Wow! These are the best homemade breadsticks I have ever had! I normally don't care for homemade and just make Hubby stop at fazoli's on his way home from work :o) But I did mess these up in a good way, I put on a full stick of melted butter then the Garlic salt with parsley before I cooked them, when I was waiting for them to rise I checked back on here and saw my error. but they came out awesome with a nice crisp of butter on the bottom just like Fazoli's and Olive Garden! Definitely doing it that way everytime!

Gerta says:

So – after making the pizza rolls I decided to try using this dough for cinnamon rolls. When I rolled it out I spread it with butter and sprinkled (generously) with brown sugar and cinnamon sugar. Then I rolled it up jelly-roll style and cut off about 2 inch slices which I put in a baking dish spiral side up. I sprinkled a little more brown sugar on top and then baked for 15 minutes. They were yummy!!! Thanks!

Liz says:

Hey, I'd love to try these out but I was wondering how well the dough keeps in the fridge? There's no way I could make them all at once unless I had people over and it's always easier to make doughs and such a head of time for quick prepares. Thanks a lot!

Bethany says:

I finally tried it both ways, butter and garlic before and after cooking, we def prefer before! The Garlic roasts and browns looking pretty and tasting great! I used Lawry's garlic salt with parsley.

And the previous poster, I made the dough, let it rise once, then put it in the fridge over night, the next day around noon it had risen nicely in the fridge, I rolled it out and had it ready for the pan in less than 10 min then just let it rise the 30 minutes while I cleaned up and heated the oven. It worked nicely!

Debra says:

I have tried a lot of recipes for pizza dough and this is by far the best.
    Fist time I have made breadsticks though and they were Out of this World! this is my new go-to recipe.

Meridee says:

These were super yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Sheri says:

Quick question. When it says: "sprinkle with garlic bread seasoning or the powdery Parmesan cheese in a can and garlic salt", does that mean, sprinkle the garlic seasoning AND garlic salt? Or do you just add the garlic salt if you're using only the Parmesan cheese?

Hope that makes sense.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Sheri–No, that totally makes sense. You'd only use the garlic salt and parmesan if you're not using the garlic bread seasoning.

Hope that helps!!

Shiloh says:

I just made these breadsticks tonight! I'd never made breadsticks before. I didn't read the comments first and didn't understand the directions for twisting them- I twisted them alright but ended up with foot long bread sticks because I didn't fold them in half first :oD I brushed mine with olive oil and butter sprinkled with kosher salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic powder before baking. They were a *tiny* bit flat I think because the pastry brush squashed 'em, next time I'll brush them before letting them rise the second time. All in all, these bread sticks are wonderful. Soft, fluffy, and incredibly tasty thanks to the seasoning on top. I should've sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top some!

Mrs. Rogers says:

Originally I was going to make the pizza this afternoon but then lacking groceries just did the breadsticks with marinara for dinner. They took way longer then I thought, almost two hours, which of course a little math of the recipe could have told me but they were SOOOOO WORTH THE WAIT! Thank you! This is our third best bites recipe and we love them all!!!!

Shiloh says:

I made this dough again, using half for breadsticks one night (which were of course wonderful) and stuck the other half in the fridge. I made the other half of the dough into pizza two nights later. I was a bit worried about the texture since it had been in the fridge so long, and forgot to poke the crust with a fork before baking it prior to adding toppings, so it was pretty ugly after I chipped off the giant bubble that was the surface. But you know what? It was the BEST pizza I've ever made! The crust was fantastic. I've been looking for the perfect pizza crust recipe for years, and this is it. I'd imagine it's great fresh, but I think sitting in the fridge really helped it. I know you can freeze dough, but usually recipes say to freeze it before it rises- do you think it would work to let it rise in the fridge for 2 days, then pop it in the freezer so all I'd have to do is let it thaw before using? I'm not good at anticipating 2 days in advance when we'll want pizza!

Christina says:

This is an excellent pizza dough recipe! :) I had never attempted to make home made pizza dough solo before (I had helped my mom make some in the past) but this recipe looked pretty simple, so I decided to try it. The hubby and I both really, really liked it! It is definitely a dough recipe I'm gonna keep around! :)I want to try this dough as breadsticks one of these days…they sound delish as well! :)

katie @ the copper coconut says:

Oh my goodness! I just made these. DELICIOUS! I put garlic and oregano on some, garlic and mozzarella on some and cinnamon and sugar on some. All of them were great!

Lyndsey says:

I am excited to try so many of your bread recipes and am wondering if you've played around with flours any? I have been halfing recipes with either whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour. Is that gonna totally ruin the good thing you've got going here? Really just trying to figure out bread baking and some of the healthiest options for our family.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) says:

These were fantastic. I sprinkled some with cinnamon and sugar and some with my Carrabba's Italian blend. They were terrific. I actually preferred them plain!

Thanks for a great recipe.

亜希子 says:

Nice to meet you.
    It is a matching site of beauty information that collects information on the hair salon, esthetics, the nail salon, and the massage salon, etc.The charge experience coverage report of a popular model is also popular. Please see by all means.

Please continue your favors toward a site here.
    http://nihon95biyou.angelfire.com/ 日本のヘアサロン(墨田区編)
    http://www.a-biyougeka.com/ @美容外科
    http://www.a-kenko.net/ @健康
    http://www.a-hair.net/ @ヘアサロン
    http://www.a-datsumo.com/ @脱毛

Janelle says:

I just made this pizza dough and your pizza sauce for my husband and his brothers (the sort of bachelors who order pizza at least once a week). It was a smashing success, and they all want me to make it again! I was really nervous about the dough (I haven't had a lot of success), but it really was foolproof! Thanks for helping me make homemade better than delivery!

eve says:

I'm trying these right now but accidentally added the salt to the first step…is that seriously bad? I guess I'll find out but I just wondered if the salt prevented the yeast from working. From all the comments, I'm excited to try these!

eve says:

Okay, forget that last comment. I googled it and apparently the salt does prevent the yeast from rising. I'm starting over :(

jenbahrens says:

we love these breadsticks!

shatteredpixie says:

I tried this just now and I did it by hand. I'm waiting for the first rise, and I was just wondering if anybody else had used less flour than what was specified? I added the 1 1/2 flour first and mixed it, and gradually added more flour. I've only added about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of flour when it already got dry (not sticking to fingers) so I stopped adding flour…

lisa9999 says:

These are amazing. We had breadsticks like this when we were in the US this summer and my boys have been asking me to make some since we got back. They loved them.

Jenn says:

I just made these last night and my husband said they were amazing! The only thing I did different was add 1/2 TBSP of salt instead of 1/2 tsp. They seemed a little bland (no offense) with only the 1/2 tsp. And then I made the garlic bread seasoning and after I let it rise the first time I kneaded some of the seasoning into the dough, shaped the sticks, then let them rise again. After they baked I brushed on the butter and sprinkled more of the garlic bread seasoning on top. They were delicious!!

I've been looking for a pizza dough/breadstick recipe for a while now. I have a good focaccia dough that I make into pizza sometimes but still want something different. I'm definitely going to try this. Question, though (sorry if I missed this somewhere, I skimmed the comments and didn't see it) Can you use packets of yeast instead of bulk yeast? Would one packet be enough, or would it be best to open up a second one and measure out the extra 3/4tsp?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jen–Yep, you can totally do that! Just measure out what you need from the packets; I've done that a lot. :)

Mary says:

Kate, as usual, your stuff completely rocks! And, as usual, mine tastes good but doesn't look nearly as nice as yours. Oh well, my mouth doesn't really care what it looks like :). Thanks for the post! They were so yummy! And now I'm on to look for these allegedly evil lemonbars….:)

Mary says:

I made these again tonight and both times I'm having a hard time twisting them because they are so soft. Have you ever added more flour after letting them rise? Would that hurt it if I did?

If anyone is thinking of making these but doesn't have all the ingredients to Kate's magical garlic seasoning – wait because the seasoning is OH MY GOSH! My husband called these a drug!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Mary–You can always add more flour, but I'd do it in the initial mixing phase (although if you're rolling it on a floured surface, some will make it in that way, too). It's pretty much impossible to give an exact figure of how much flour goes in, just because there are so many variables, so just add enough until the dough barely sticks to your finger when you touch it and you'll be golden. :) Hope that helps!

I just made these tonight and they are AWESOME! I was so proud of myself after making them because they looked and tasted SO good.

Jenny says:

I have totally made these before and love them. However tomorrow I am planning to make them for a crowd. Can you double the recipe and have it rise the same, etc? Or do I need to make two seperate bowls of dough? Also, for the future has anyone tried freezing this or making it ahead and keeping it in the fridge? Thanks!

Jeanne' says:

I was just wondering if you could make the dough in the morning and put it in the fridge to rise for later?? I LOVE this recipe and use it 2 or 3 times a week, but today I need to make it ahead! Thanks so much! I love your site and I ordered yoru cookbook!

Rachel says:

A few clicks and I'm not sure how I stumbles across this blog, but I have fallen in love! I've been looking for an easy, tasty pizza dough recipe, and I can NOT wait to try making these breadsticks… YUM! We also made your peanut butter playdough today, and my toddler loved it! So did the other kids we had over… kids between the ages of 2 and 11, it was a hit across the board. I can't wait to explore this blog some more!

Patti S says:

This makes the best pizza crust!! The recipe along with your tips from the cookbook turned out a perfect pizza.

Maria says:

Is there a specific kind of thermometer i need to use to check the water temperature?

Also, when i add the flour to the yeast mixture do i need to use my hands to mix it or use a specific tool?

I’m new at this but i CAN’T wait to try this at home.

Maria–You can use a candy thermometer or you can just gauge it by touch–my rule of thumb is that it should be hot enough that you’d want to take a very warm shower in, but not so hot that you wouldn’t want to wash your face or hair in it.

As far as adding the flour to the yeast mixture, if you have a stand mixer, you can use that. Otherwise, just use your hands! :) Just be careful not to add too much flour–that’s really easy to do when you’re mixing dough by hand.

You can TOTALLY do this! :)

• Maria says:

Thank You soo much Kate for the easy tips. I’m definitely trying this tonight. My family are such bread lovers. I take it that if i want to make more, i just double the recipe right?

• Annie says:

I’m cruising this recipe to make for a vegan crowd this weekend and this tip about how hot is right hot is AWESOME.. I know exactly what that would feel like and thus wala!! :) THANKS

kevnjess says:

Yep, the best pizza dough ever. I will never buy the refrisgerated roll again, can even compare, plus it is really easy to put together. I would love to see a whole wheat variation.

Shea Petersen says:

Thank you so much! This is the breadstick recipe I’ve been looking for!

They look and sound wonderful!

I wish it was not such a “cool” day here, or I would make these.
    I am afraid it is to cool for the dough to rise. :(

Grace says:

My husband has been craving breadsticks and ceasar salad, but my breadstick recipe is really involved. I am totally switching to this one so his craving can be satisfied. :)

jan says:

I just made this recipe into the cinnamon sugar version…. now I just need the sweet cream recipe that the Pizza factory serves them with….

Tara says:

I just made these tonight for dinner with pasta! YUM! YUM! YUM! I am in heaven! (And so is my husband!) Thanks so much for the great and super easy recipe! I didn’t know those two words could exist together in a bread recipe! I told my husband I wanted your recipe book for Mother Day! I can’t wait to get it!

Allyson says:

Made these last night – husband and kids loved them! Super easy, although the hardest part was mixing the dough in my Bosch mixer (too big for a small amount of dough! Had to keep stopping to mix it together by hand). If I doubled the recipe next time to allow my mixer more to work with, could I freeze half the dough? Before or after first rise? How would I work with it later? Thanks for your help!

Hey, Allyson! I’m so sorry I’m just getting back to you! Yep, you could definitely double this and freeze the other half. When you’re ready to use the frozen portion, just place it on the counter first thing in the morning and by the time you’re ready for dinner, the dough will be perfect. Hope that helps!!

Sparked84 says:

Tried this yesterday, but I think I made some error in measuring the flour. Yeast was all bubbly, but I left it lot longer than 10 mins. I measured exactly 4.5 cups of all-purpose flour. I did everything as the recipe asked. But the 4.5 cup of flour wasn’t enough. The dough kept on sticking to my hand. I am very new to this and while measuring the flour I used a tip from another recipe (sugar cookies which turned out lovely) – never scoop flour with a measuring cup, always use a normal spoon to fill the measuring cup and level it off with a knife. Could it be the reason, that I accidentally used less flour? I couldn’t even roll it nicely and I had to use more floor. Also to stop the stickiness I even used some olive oil too. However I managed to make 8 rolls and they were ok :(.

Melissa says:

I was disappointed with these. I am a veteran bread maker – I make all of our bread from scratch – even hamburger and hot dog buns. So I should have known that only 1/2 tsp. of salt was not near enough for 3+ cups of flour (I ended up using 3.5 so it was really lacking). I want to try them again – only this time I will start with 1 1/2 tsp. of salt (3 times as much!) which is what I use for my loaf bread with 3c. flour. That should make a marked improvement – as it was, for us, these were bland.

Ang says:

I am making these breadsticks right now and hope to try the recipe for pizza dough as well. Could you tell me approximately how big of a rectangle you rolled out or the thickness of the rectangle and about how big the breadsticks are pre- twisting? Mine seem kind of skinny…but they’re on the second rise so hopefully they’ll plump up. Thanks!

Leigh says:

I have recently found your blog and LOVE your recipes! I tried these bread sticks today and they did not turn out well for me. :(. They weren’t soft at all. They were hard and stiff. Do you think I put in too much flour? I am a pretty experienced cook but for some reason yeast breads never turn out right for me! I really want to give these another try.

Hi, Leigh! What a bummer. It does sound like you probably used too much flour. Seriously, it’s better to have too little than too much. You want it so it’s pulling away from the sides of your bowl and barely sticks to your finger. I hope you try them again! :)

Camper says:

So I love the summer weather and cooking over the fire. We decided to try mini pizzas this weekend and they worked great! I used this pizza recipe dough, let it raise and rolled it into mini-pizzas (about 5 in. diameter). We then pre-cooked the crusts for about 10 minutes until they were done but still not golden. Then we packed up our car and took PLENTY of pizza toppings including BBQ chicken, grilled onions and peppers, artichoke hearts, bacon, and even cream cheese and apples for a dessert pizza. When we got to our camp site we each made our own little pizza, wrapped them in tin foil, and stuck them in the fire for a few minutes. These were delicious. By pre-cooking the bread, we only had to wait for the cheese to melt and they turned out amazing. Everyone loved them and we’re excited to have this as a new choice for our campouts.

Suzie McDonnell says:

I made the dough for the first time this afternoon with full intention of making the breadsticks. However, as it was getting late in the day we decided to make pizzas instead. Now i pride myself on my homemade pizza/dough…but this was a complete halleluja moment! I baked the pizzas (simply dressed with sauce, fresh mozzarrela and proscuitto) on our pizza stone and we tucked in. This was THE best pizza/crust i’ve ever tasted. The crust was crisp and light and perfect. (i used polenta on my pizza peel and stone to make the transfer easier) My husband was just as enthusiastic and is VERY happy that there are left-overs for tomorrow!

Erica says:

I LOVE Your website!!!! Just a quick question…. for the breadsticks do you butter and put the garlic bread seasoning on before or after baking?? Thanks!!

Hi, Erica!! I put them on after baking, but I know some people swear by putting them on before baking. I’m always afraid of deflating the dough by brushing the butter on first, plus I’ve just always done it that way…:)

Liz says:

So to clarify…I already made them and (obviously) twisted them wrong…to twist them by your description you dangle them in half in snake form over your finger and then twist the two halves together?

I felt so stupid not understanding (I’m a ridiculously novice cook), am worried I used too much flour (but the dough rose well), etc.

Hopefully they turn out good!

Suzanne says:

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU!! I have made these probably 4 or 5 times and could not figure out the “twist” part (and I consider myself a little more than a novice cook, maybe slightly intermediate)

But I think you are right, you fold it in half over your finger and then twist the two halves together!!! I am so happy….I just re-twisted after 15 minutes of my foot long funny looking snakes rising, I hope they work!

Ryan says:

Well, we tried this recipe for the first time tonight. They were awesome until the dog ate them all before we could put them away…

Noelle says:

I am really dying to try these breadsticks/pizza dough. But I have one silly question…
    What is the difference between Kosher Salt and Iodized Salt?? I must use Kosher, right?
    BTW, L.O.V.E your blog. I recommend it to EVERYONE!

Wendy Talbot says:

Made these breadsticks tonight for the first time and they were a HIT!!!! My 5 year old asked if she could marry them lol! Super delicous. Can’t wait to make them for a crowd.

Wendy Talbot says:

By the way, I used Johnny’s garlic bread seasoning. They have it at my Costco.

Andrea says:

I made this dough the other day, fully intending to make the Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Stuffed Pizza Rolls, but ran out of time before the sitter arrived. So I had leftover dough, chicken, and bacon in my fridge all weekend, and finally decided to make cinammon rolls from the dough before it was ruined. I used your cinnamon roll filling from the “Everyday Cinnamon Roll” recipe, topped them with some store-bought cream cheese frosting (I know, the horror, but I had gotten it free with a coupon and “needed” to use it up somehow), and they turned out DELICIOUS!!! Can’t imagine how good your cinnamon rolls would be if I actually followed the cinnamon roll recipe! Thanks!

Jamie says:

I am lost on the twisting part! I have made these twice, tasted great, but sooooo ugly! Halfway through the second batch of twisting I gave up and did flat ones. Can you show some pictures of how to twist these? Thanks!

Suzanne says:

Ok, so I know it has been a while since you asked this, but if you come back again (since this is the 5th time I am trying to make these and still wasn’t sure) or if anyone else is having this same problem, I *think* you roll your strips into snakes then fold it over your finger and twist the two halves together. Someone else mentioned this and all I know is they look a WHOLE lot better than the lame strips I was making

Natalie says:

So, I don’t know if i am just slow or what, but I noticed that in the pictures of the ingredients there was a small shot glass of milk, but it wasn’t on the actual list of ingredients. Am I missing something?

Jenni says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this dough! In the last two weeks I’ve made breadsticks (Parmesan batch & cinnamon sugar batch), BBQ chicken & Chicken Alfredo (with your guiltless Alfredo recipe!) pizzas on the grill and made a ham/bacon/Swiss Stromboli. This is definitely a keeper. I’ve made the Stromboli with many different doughs (store bought French dough and at least two other pizza dough recipes). My husband declared this one the favorite! And it is so easy! For some reason the last couple dough recipes I tried have flopped. Yours turns out perfect every time!

Ellen says:

Hi. Love your blog!! When you make this recipe for pizza dough, does it make enough for one pizza? Or could it be enough for two pizzas?
    Thank you!!

It depends how thick you like your crust but yes, generally speaking, you could get two pizzas out of this recipe! :)

Shirley Anderson says:

They made these at the Pizza Factory in St. George, UT and wrap them around a stick, then bake. Serve them in a vase. Yummy

Andrea says:

Made the breadsticks tonight and my husband actually said, “These are the best breadsticks I have ever had.” I thought all of the previous reviews were a little exaggerated, but now I finally understand the special powers of these breadsticks!!!

Annie says:

Can’t wait to try these tonight! Since I only cook for two, do you think I could freeze the extra sticks and just thaw out before baking next time?

Sherlock says:

These are very good! I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to make. I am not a novice but certainly not a pro at yeast bread making either :) I made these tonight with our mushroom marinara and spaghetti. I wanted to add a little something more authentic with our meal that’s why I opted for homemade bread sticks. I am so glad I found this site! Delicious and so easy. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I will be making these again.

~Sherlock

Ashley M. says:

Hello! I am hosting Bunco ( a dice game ) at my house tomorrow for a bunch of church ladies. I want to make these to go along with lasagna but I don’t want to have to make them tomorrow because I will be cleaning my house all……day! Can I prepare the dough ahead of time and refrigerate until tomorrow?

Gloria says:

I usually make homemade pizza on Friday night and I decided to switch it up and try this crust and your pizza sauce! My husband said it was a winner, so I will not be going back to my old recipe. Thanks for a winning recipe!

Cindi says:

I should have reviewed this much earlier, as I have been using this recipe for over a year. I love the bread sticks, but agree with another reviewer that much more salt is needed. I have also used this for pizza and calzones and it has turned out perfect every time. I usually make a double batch and freeze 1/2 of the dough (after the first rising). I have also frozen the bread sticks after I have baked them. I wrap them in foil, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake them at 350 for about 15 minutes and they are perfect. Thank you for such a versatile recipe that my family uses often!

Sarah says:

Hi! So, I have made these several times, and they only turn out 50% of the time!! I don’t know what the deal is, or what I’m doing wrong. When they turn out, they are UH-MAZING! But when they don’t…. yuck. SO, part of the problem I’ve had is, they won’t rise after I have formed them into breadsticks and they’re on the pan. Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong??

That’s so weird! So does the yeast bubble up like it’s supposed to in the sugar water? Or does it stay kind of flat? How fresh is your yeast? Are you using bread machine yeast (I find that to be the most consistent and easiest to work with)? Keep me posted and hopefully we can figure this out. :)

Leigh Tinsley says:

These are AMAZING, as is everything else I’ve ever made from your blog. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kristina says:

Made these tonight along with the Italian sausage & tortellini soup- amazing!!! They turned out perfect, and the recipe was easy as well. This will be my new go-to! The garlic bread seasoning is absolute perfection!!!

Megan says:

I am a Demarle at Home Representative and I was doing a party and used this recipe for my pizza crust that I made and I put 1-2TBS of Johnny’s Garlic Spread Seasoning in my crust and it made an amazing pizza crust. I sell Silpats and the pans that go under them to cook more evenly.

karen from trinidad says:

making these right now, cant wait for it to finish to see how it turns out!

Steve-O says:

If my wife ever found out that I got on your website to make somthing from a recipe, pizza crest in this case, she’d rub it in my face for ever, since I always cook without a recipe after having worked at some restrurants. She always uses your recipes and I have to admit, they are good. And this one turned out good too. Hope she doesn’t find out, since I’m at home with the kids while she’s at work. HA! HA! Super Thanks!

Katrina says:

Holy cow, this recipe is great! It’s so simple I have it memorized now (I’ve made it four times in the almost-three weeks since I discovered it). And it makes the best homemade pizza and breadsticks (homemade or otherwise) that I’ve had. The youth in my ward loved the breadsticks!

Katrina says:

Oh yeah—and I’m thinking of using it for homemade hot dog and hamburger buns. I’ll let you know how it all comes out.

Katie Jo says:

This recipe is awesome. I have made it 3 times now in the past few weeks and it keeps getting better as I get more experience! This is now our recipe for pizza crust!!

Calogero says:

They are delicious!

Katie Drollinger says:

We love this pizza dough! The last time I made it though, I followed the directions on how to have the dough not stick to your finger before letting it rise for the 1st time… So when I went to get it out of the bowl and roll out for pizza, the dough was so sticky!!! The non stick spray on the counter and rolling pin did nothing to help. I had to put flour down. Made a big mess. What did I do wrong this time?

Anna of Noria Jewelry says:

Just made this dough recipe for pizza. I like a dough recipe that doesn’t take a long time to rise because honestly, I don’t always plan ahead and have a couple hours to kill to let dough rise. The dough was also very easy to handle and made quite a large pizza; it was bigger than my peel and I had a time sliding it off onto my pizza stone! This will be my new go-to recipe for homemade pizza.

Victoria says:

This is a fabulous recipe. I’ve used it for bread sticks, pizza crust… even home made hot pockets… just let them rise already filled. Nummy nummy! Thanks for sharing it!

Tamara B. says:

Thank you for a basic recipe. Based on the raves its gonna be great, and I think I can pull this one off. (Im a terrible baker but getting better.) (:

Pam Bennett says:

These are so good!
    Silly request…maybe I am the only one w/ this problem… but I am not getting the “wrap around the finger twist” right…can you post a few pictures of this process or a tutorial video?! I am usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out! After I cut them and pick them up they stretch and so I fold them in half and try to twist…anyways, don’t look as good as yours! Please Help! :)

Tami Cromar says:

Oh, I just came across this recipe from Pinterest. I am wondering if I can just throw it all in the bread maker?? I hope so, we will see. But will take any help or tips?? Thanks Tami

Maya from Australia! says:

You girls are my all time fav food blog!!! I made these pizza bases tonight and it was the best base recipe I have EVER made. Love it!! Have made many things from your site and love your emails every morning x

heidi klunder says:

where are the nutrition facts?!? I neeeeed those! :) or at least the people I’d be making them for need them lol…

wow…I never thought making bread sticks is this easy…should’ve known earlier but oh, well…it’s never too late to start having fun :)

Nisey says:

can you tell me about what size the rectangle is before you slice the dough into strips? It could be really helpful to know that info. Thanks so much for all your good recipes. I’m anxious to try this one.

Misty says:

This recipe is very easy and makes a great pizza dough! Yummy! Thanks for the step by step directions!

Rae says:

Greetings from Australia!! Just made these deliciousnesses – great dough recipe :) Thanks heaps

Everytime I try to print one of your recipes I can’t! I don’t have an OBB account (though I totally would sign up but I can’t figure how WHERE to sign up!) and when I try logging in through google it tells me I “don’t have permission” to view it. What am I doing wrong!!?!?

There are sooooooo many recipes I want to print out and add to my binders but I can’t seem to figure out HOW! helpppppppp!

Maggie says:

Oh, these are so delicious! I substituted 2/3 of the flour with whole wheat flour and added 2T of wheat gluten.
    I also added some of the herb-cheese mix to the dough pre baking. Will be making these again :)

Thanks for the delicious recipe.

[...] 4 balls of pizza dough.  I doubled this recipe to make 4 strombolis [...]

Jen B says:

I love this recipe! We have made it several times as bread sticks and loved it. Tonight was a first as pizza. Fantastic! we sprinkled your garlic bread seasoning over the top after all of out topping were on. AMAZING! We had made mini pizzas and had a few left over that became dessert pizzas with white and semi sweet choc chips and mini marshmallows and a bit of cinn sugar. The bomb! Thanks for all of your great recipes!!

Lori says:

The link didn’t work for the breadstick garlic topping. Could you please post the recipe for the garlic topping?

chelseyadele says:

Can you freeze this? if so when and how to thaw? ive used this several times and loved it but itd be great to keep some ready on hand!

Janna Burton says:

Wow! These are the best bread sticks I’ve ever eaten! Thanks so much for the recipe! I use just under 4 cups of flour and they turn out perfect every time. I also made a very large pizza last night using about 2/3 of the dough and used the rest for breadsticks. We all thought it was the best pizza we’d ever eaten, too. Our friend who came over said “Pizza Hut better watch out”! The dough is so easy and so nice to work with. It doesn’t shrink back or anything. Perfect! Thanks again!

Stephanie says:

Heehee I made homemade pizza! Finally opened up the yeast that I bought on sale :) Great recipe, especial for me..not more “yeast virginity” ..LOL
    I look forward to more homemade pizzas and flatbreads and perhaps seeing how the freezing goes.. THANKS FOR AN EASY RECIPE!

[...] couldn’t just have that salad for dinner so I made THESE breadsticks too.  Stomach officially [...]

Stacy says:

I was wondering if anyone has made these ahead and froze them. If so, how would the process change?

Jessica says:

Made these tonight and they were a huge hit!!! Will definitely be making these breadsticks again!

marina hernandez says:

Hi, i made this breadstick, and they come great in flavor, but i cant make the twist..sorry..is possible, that you put a pictures on how to roll into snake, amd drape over your finger, i live in mexico, and it was dificult to understand that instrucctions..

thanks

marina

Mini says:

Hi Kate, can I use bread machine yeast or rapid rise yeast for this recipe?

JMS says:

I am curious why this recipe does not call for oil or butter. Every other breadstick or pizza dough recipe I have looked at calls for some kind of fat.

Did you know you have Victoria Secret ads running across the bottom of your blog? I am all for monetizing your blog, but to have women in bikinis across a food blog is frustrating when trying to keep things clean for my family. Disapointed.

Amy says:

So excited to try this! How can I make it into a wheat recipe? Any suggestions?

kathy says:

Best breadsticks by far. I don’t even order in from restaurants anymore. I prefer these any day. Time me and nothing when it quality. Thanks for the best recipe ever!

kathy says:

I meant time means nothing when it comes to quality. Darn auto correct.