This recipe starts out with super creamy scrambled eggs. The secret is whisking rich sour cream right into the eggs.
Add some seasonings and then gently fold the eggs in your hot skillet to scramble them. Since you’ll be baking the egg mixture inside the tortillas, you’ll want to slightly under-cook the eggs at this point.
Remove them from the heat and add pepperjack cheese, diced roasted red bell peppers, sliced green onions, and cilantro.
Gently fold the egg mixture together and douse it with a little hot sauce
Place egg mixture on soft flour tortillas.
Roll them up, brush with a little oil and bake in the oven to perfection.
While the taquitos are baking you can whip up your dipping sauce. It’s cool creamy sour cream, fresh lime juice, smoky chipotle chili powder and a pinch of salt.
Put it all together and you’ve got a killer brunch, breakfast, or dinner!
The tortillas are crisp on the outside and soft in the center. The egg mixture is creamy and flavorful, and the cool lime-chipotle dip puts it over the top!
Or follow the freezer directions and keep these stocked and ready to go for a quick, yet fancy meal any day of the week.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 C Breakstone's Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 C grated pepperjack cheese
- 1/4 C chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/4 C sliced green onions
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- 16 6" flour tortillas
- cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 1/2 C Breakstone's Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Spray with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 C sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When skillet is hot, add egg mixture to pan. Using a rubber spatula, gently scrape bottom of pan and fold eggs over to scramble. Remove from heat when slightly undercooked. Add cheese, roasted red peppers, green onions, cilantro, and hot sauce to taste. Gently fold to combine.
- Warm tortillas in microwave to ease rolling process. Working with a few tortillas at a time, place a scant 1/4 C egg mixture into the center of each one and roll up into a cylinder. Place rolled tortillas on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down, so they are not touching each other. When all tortillas are rolled and filled, lightly spray tops with cooking spray, or lightly brush with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.
- While taquitos are baking, coming 1 1/2 C sour cream, lime juice, chipotle chili powder and kosher salt. Stir to combine and store in fridge. Remove taquitos from oven , let cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with dipping sauce.
- The egg mixture can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to use. You can also prepare the taquitos and instead of baking right away, cover tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight, or freeze for later use. To prepare frozen taquitos, place (un-thawed) directly on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Follow original baking instructions, increasing time by 5 minutes or until taquitos are golden brown.