“Can you bring a salad?”  “Um…how about a salad?”  “A salad would be great, any kind.”  “Your assignment: salad”

Seriously, am I the only one who feels like they are constantly taking a salad to something?  Parties, pot-lucks, church events, bridal showers- always need a good salad.  I think for that reason, I’m always trying to think of new and interesting flavors to incorporate because it seems like you always see the same types of salads.  This one is great for a party or gathering because it can sit around without wilting and it’s really unique.  It’s also filling.  But it’s not just for parties, I’ve actually never taken it to a party.  Probably because I just made it up last week.  Next party, this salad is invited.

I actually made it a few times, and we love it for lunch and dinner.  This salad relies on pasta, but it has just as much, if not more additions so the veggie to pasta ratio is really high.  Fresh veggies, black beans, sweet corn and more.  It makes a great vegetarian meal, or you can add grilled chicken to make it more filling.  I served it with some cheese quesadilla wedges and my whole family (even kiddos!) gobbled it up.  This sits well in the fridge too, so you could make it one night for dinner and then take the leftovers to work the next day.  Great one-dish meal.  Definitely one of my new faves!

See all of the yummy {and healthy!} stuff I packed in there?  Black beans, green onions, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, and corn.

I use Barilla Plus Pasta and I love it.  (Not a sponsored comment, just my opinion!)  If you have a hard time incorporating whole grain pastas (some can be hard and chewy) this one is awesome.  You really can’t tell it’s any different than normal but it’s packed with all sorts of healthy stuff. Anyway…

One of my best tips for making a good pasta salad, or pasta in general is to SALT YOUR WATER.  Yes I had to yell that because I think a lot of people skip that step.  It does wonders for any pasta, but especially a pasta salad, which can often turn out bland.

As soon as your pasta is done, run it under cold water to cool it off.

Place it in a big mixing bowl (you can’t see because I’m so sneaky, but underneath all of that pasta is the zest of a few limes- limes you will be using in the dressing.)

and then dump on all the good stuff!  Look at all of those gorgeous veggies- they sing to me.  Not really.  I’m not a crazy person who hears singing vegetables, but they look purdy, right? In the recipe I only call for one bell pepper, I had a variety so I used a third of a red, yellow, and orange, just for color.

Mix that all up.  If you’re adding chicken, then add that here as well.  I used Taco Chicken, which I cooked the day before and it was awesome.  Any cooked chicken will do, but grilled pairs well with the Southwest flavors.

And then pour on the amazing dressing.  You can make the dressing while the pasta is cooking, or even a day or two ahead of time.  I started out with Kate’s awesome Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette.  That dressing is fantastic on its own, but one problem with pasta salads is that they just suck up flavor.  I’ve found I have to make dressings that are almost too strong for a regular salad and then they’ll be perfect for a pasta salad.  Otherwise they just taste bland.  So I started with the vinaigrette, decreased some of the oil, and replaced it with lime juice and additional spices.  It’s a party in your mouth I tell ya!

Sprinkle on the cheese just before serving.  I used queso fresco, which is a Mexican cheese you can buy at the grocery store.  You could easily substitute Cotija (another Mexican cheese you can find at the grocery store) or use grated pepperjack, jack, or cheddar.  Or leave the cheese out completely.  Honestly, I added it because I think it looks pretty, don’t tell.

Ang says:

Oh hooray! My husband came home with extra cilantro and I was just looking last night for something to use it up. This looks fantastic; I'm always happy for new vegetarian dishes. And I'll have to search out that pasta – I haven't seen it in Winco.

*kim* says:

ooh this looks yummy! can't wait to try it ive been looking for a new pasta salad. and that barilla pasta is awesome its the only good for you pasta my fam will eat!

Suzy says:

So pretty! I love pretty food so this is great…plus yummy AND healthy!

Dixie Mom says:

I bet this is every bit as stinkin' yummy as every other recipe of yours I've tried.

Cul-de-Sac Mom says:

This looks fantastic! It would be great for summer picnic, or a light lunch!

Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box says:

This looks AMAZING! :-) I cannot wait to try it! :-)

Chelsea says:

I've made something similar to this but used salsa for the dressing. It's absolutely delightful that way, too. :)

Kameron says:

I'm SO making this for tonight's dinner! Scratch what was already on the menu; this is now front and center! I adore SW foods, and not just because I live in Phoenix.

Tara Lynn says:

Usually I don't like pasta salads besides my mom's macaroni salad, but this sounds DELicious! Thanks for all the great recipes.

Great post. Great blog. I don't mean to be a brat, but I have a comment. If you go through the trouble of salting the pasta water, aren't you rinsing off any flavoring you may have added by cooling your pasta in cold water? I prefer to cook my pasta very al dente and then drain it and let it sit an cool off a little as I work on the other ingredients. That way the pasta will "cook" a little bit longer as it cools, but not get mushy. Plus, sometimes the flavors absorb a little better when there is still a little residual heat. Just wanted to add my two cents. I hope it didn't come off too snobbish.

Okay, sorry, I take my comment back. Apparently for cold pasta salads, it's helpful to rinse away the extra starch, so the pasta doesn't get sticky, although I guess if it's dressed well, this wouldn't matter. Love to hear your opinion.

T says:

oooh, I need to start reading this blog AFTER lunch though – because now I'm hungry :) Looks like this is going on the menu soon!

mandy says:

this looks seriously amazing!

Emily, as pasta cooks it absorbs the water, so by salting the water you are flavoring the actual pasta. Rinsing it in water won't wash away the flavor that's already inside!

penniesonaplatter.com says:

I usually avoid bringing salads to any party because I always think it's such a boring option. Now I have a fun one to bring and will surprise everyone by volunteering to bring salad next time!! :)

Irish Mama says:

Yum! My husband and I are about to start low carbing, and I'm thinking that if you removed the pasta and just served it as a southwestern-style chicken salad (or over lettuce) it would be pretty delicious.

giggliz72 says:

Must have NOW! Sounds so good :)

Kira says:

Looks pretty and delicious!

RMCarter says:

Barilla Plus Pasta is the best thing ever! My hubby won't *touch* whole wheat pasta, but he can't even tell the difference with the Barilla Plus.

Thanks for the yummy vegetarian recipe. Sometimes it is hard to find vegetarian recipes that I know hubby (meat eater) will like as well, so I appreciate each one I can find!!

shafeena says:

looks yummy… anything with fresco cheese is a hit with me… first timer on your blog… lovin it !!

Deanna says:

Holy delicious, Batman! I can't wait to make this for a party! (-: I hate being asked to bring a salad, because like another reader, I always find them boring. This one is anything BUT boring!

Also, if you make a lot of your own dressings, I have the perfect item for you! It's called the Measure, Mix, and Pour. Pampered Chef makes it. Of course, I would tell you this even if I wasn't a consultant! That item rocks my socks, seriously. If you have a PC consultant, definitely get one from him/her. If not, and you want to take a look at it, let me know.

Ashley says:

YUM!

Sarah, you're right. Thanks.

Kathy Martin says:

Looks like heaven! :)

Alaska says:

I love your blog and I couldn't not comment on your hilarious commentary on salads. I am a big girl (okay, I just had baby number 4 and I wasn't small to begin with…) and I just crack up when they ask me to bring salad to stuff. I ask (because I'm sort of a trouble maker): Do I LOOK LIKE I EAT SALAD? However, everyone knows I'm joking because I'm married to a vegetarian, so of course I eat salad. And I am SO making this one. You girls rock and and inspire me whenever I read. Thanks. Maybe I'll recover my culinary skills soon and try some of this out–having babies sort of leaches out my cooking abilities…:)

Heather and Laila says:

This salad looks fantastic – I can't wait to try it!

effie says:

What a very refreshing salad this is! I love it. I want to try this one. Love all the colors.
    dining room tables

madsonblueeyes says:

another yummy recipe. Can't wait until your cookbook comes out

Job and Rachael says:

I tried this tonight for dinner. Delish!! We loved it, so refreshing and light, yet filling. Thanks for another great recipe :)

Tammy says:

I made this last night for my family for dinner with chicken. My kids had a hard time grasping the concept of salad for dinner, so we served some cheese quesadillas with it. Everyone loved this salad. It is really tasty. My husband said it would go over really well at a "girl" party.

Barb says:

Did all the prep for this salad last night and put it all together along with the dressing this morning. It is delicious! Definitley a salad I will be bringing to parties, church functions etc. I didn't have any bow tie pasta on hand so I used whole wheat penne and it still tasted delicious and looked nice presentation wise. Thanks for all these delicious recipes, Im off to go prep to make the black bean soup with my leftover cilantro, garlic and cans of black beans!

Pumpkin says:

This salad is fantastic! I made it tonight and left out the chicken. Almost left out the cheese but then added Gorgonzola at the last minute – yum! Thank you! I just found out about your site last week and I want to try a gazillion recipes already!

Denise says:

Two questions. One, the pic shows yellow, red AND orange peppers. The recipe says one of them. If I use all 3 is it too much pepper? Two, 1/2 tsp of coriander – is this dried?????

As soon as I decide which cheese to use I am trying this! The dressing sounds amazing.

Denise- I explained in the post that I had a variety of peppers so I used 1/3 of three different colors. So one is plenty :) And yes, dried coriander.

Denise says:

Oops, I skipped through that to get to the recipe. Bought queso fresco and am making this tomorrow. I can't wait to go to sleep!

Rachel Wolff says:

I LOVE a good pasta salad–can't wait to try this one out! I have never heard of some of those cheeses, but was wondering if feta would work, since I'm kind of in love with the stuff.

Oh my heavens! I tried this tonight for our family and it was absolutely delicious! Maybe not the best meal for toddlers because it has a bit of a bite to it, but WOW! I could not get enough of it. Followed the recipe to a “T”.

Jillian says:

I made this last night and it was delicious. My husband is normally not a fan of pasta salads, and was hesitant about this one, but he loved it and said it can stay on our menu rotation.

Kelly says:

WOW! So I’m pretty muh obsessed with this pasta salad AND with your site :) I’m definitely going to make this soon! Thanks for the inspiration to better my site, I just started mine :) Glad to be a follower!!

Jennifer N. says:

Made this for a Cinco de Mayo party tonight and it was a hit! Thanks so much for the recipe. I left out the coriander and cilantro and it still tasted great!

Heh, I was actually just looking for a way to print just the recipe, used my browser’s search feature for “print,” and only found your comment. Guess we’ll be copying and pasting this into Word. :)

This looks like a tasty and gorgeous salad! I was assigned to bring a pasta salad to my sister-in-law’s housewarming party this weekend, and came straight to your site because I figured you’d have something Score!

Anna Fawaz says:

My usual rule of thumb is “don’t try a new recipe on a crowd of people” but I always break that rule when using one of yours. I just made this salad to take to a BBQ and you’re totally right…it’s a party in your mouth! No more boring pasta salads for me! Thanks!!

Lisa says:

I made this salad to take to a picnic…and it was a hit. I didn’t have tomatoes, so I used avocado and I put in small cubes of pepper-jack. Thanks for such awesome recipes!

Julie says:

Is there a vinegar I could substitute for the rice wine or white wine vinegar, I don’t have either.

Julie, red wine vinegar would work fine too, and if you don’t have that either, then play around with what you do have. Just do it to taste!

Marianne Loury says:

This salad is amazing! Loved It and so did my famiy. We took it to a picnic at the park and shared it. Everyone asked for the recipe. Love your site and your recipes. Thanks for all you do, it is greatly appreciated!

Tracy says:

Someone else found this recipe and printed it off for me to make for a party. Honestly, I didn’t think it sounded very good. Oops, I was wrong again. Just made it. Used tri-color spirals instead of bow-tie and no cheese. Pretty tasty and at least I know there will be at least one vegetarian dish at the party.
    Thanks!

Kristen says:

I’ve been nominated to “bring a salad, any salad” to our next family gathering. I found your recipe and cannot wait to try it! Sounds delicious!

Candice says:

I made this for an Open House and it was a hit with all our friends and family. The color really set it apart from all the other salads. I received your cookbook for Christmas and love it. I use your recipies everyweek. Thanks for making me look good :)

Martin Geter says:

I need simple, easy and cheap recipes thanks!! got 2 cans of canned white chicken and i wanna make a pasta salad with {macaroni pasta} for my boyfriends lunch to take to work…..

Jessica says:

This was delicious! I love the lime flavor. Thank you so much for sharing!

I have now made this for the 3rd time and it is insane how excited I get to eat this. I make no changes…at all…(I usually do…to most recipes) Had to use olive oil once since I didn’t have canola and it is very good that way as well. Sometimes I add chicken, sometimes I don’t. Only if I have leftover chicken do I add it. Very good with or without.

Heather says:

Made this yesterday and loved it. My hubby was extremely impressed. He said it is restaurant quality. (Some of my children weren’t impressed, but you don’t know picky until you know my kids). I used penne pasta (it’s what I had) and forgot the tomatoes. Thanks!

Megan says:

This salad is so good! My husband said it’s so good, it’s like “crack”. He’s not a drug-addict! That’s just code for, “it’s really addicting.” :) My two year old loved it to. It was amazing with the Taco Chicken from your cookbook. We didn’t think it was spicy at all. It’s actually really great for kids too!

Jenelle Jensen says:

OH MY DELICOUSNESS. If you are reading these comments trying to see if you want to make this, PRINT IT OUT ALREADY AND MAKE THIS BABY. It’s that good and that’s all I have to say. Thanks for yet another “keeper”, girls. I seriously love you two, and if I ever see you two in real life, watch out because I’m going to hug you and then kiss you. and then never let go of you.

Crystal says:

I’m doubling this recipe for a party, however for most dressing recipes I only use half to 3/4 of the dressing, Is this a recipe I will use the whole dressing, or would a single batch of dressing cover a double batch of pasta?
    It probably depends on how much flavor I want, but I thought I’d ask anyway!!

My mouth is already watering! Looks delish! Love your site and use it all the time :)

Crystal, I wrote this recipe so one batch of dressing really is the amount you’ll need (or close to it) for one batch of salad. So if you’re doubling the salad, you’ll want to double the dressing too. If you don’t use all of it right away, you might want to add more once it sits for a bit because the pasta will absorb it. Hope you enjoy it!

[...] Berry Salad from Our Best Bites Lemon Tarragon Pasta Salad with Chicken from the Crafting Chicks Southwest Pasta Salad from Our Best [...]

Heidi says:

I’m making this for a teacher/staff luncheon at school for 100 people. I’m thinking I should prep all the ingredients, cook the pasta, and make the dressing the night before. Then early morning mix it all together with the dressing and chill until I serve it at lunch. I’m kind of worried about the pasta being cooked the night before. Should I wait and do that in the morning? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for a great recipe.

Preeti says:

I had the same question, I wanted to make it for 50 ppl. Le me know how it worked out fr you ?

paula says:

Trying to see the answer to “can you make it the night before”; also, how many times the recipe for about 40 people?

paula says:

I tripled this for a large outdoor party and everyone loved it. Although it took some time to prepare, it will definitely be part of our meals. I plan to try it with chicken next time, just for dinner. Several people asked for the recipe. I didn’t use the entire triple amount of dressing, but I think it could have used it as it does get soaked up by the pasta. The hardest part of this recipe is actually the zesting and juicing of the limes.

Debbie says:

The chicken link is broken. I need to know what is fantastic?