No foolin’ around today, we’re getting right to a quick and easy treat to make over the weekend! This is one of my go-to recipes when I need something quick and easy to take to a party, or to whip up for a movie night or something like that. I don’t really ever measure when I make this, but I posted a picture on Instagram a few weeks ago and had people asking for the “recipe” so here we are. It’s so so stinking easy. You can use any variety of Oreo cookies that you like. I’m going with Peanut Butter Cup, because ya know, peanut butter cups.
Use a large chef’s knife to chop them up. I’ve tried smashing them in a bag, pulsing in a food processor, and nothing works as good as chopping to get the right sized pieces and avoid smashing.
Place your chopped oreos in a bowl with some popcorn. You can use air popped or microwave popcorn. 99% of the time I go with microwave because it’s faster than digging out the popcorn popper, but do whatever you like. I don’t even mind popcorn that’s salted and has a little butter flavor, it balances out all the sugar we’re dumping in there so do whatever is easy for ya!
I keep almond bark stocked up like it’s going out of style. You’ll need about 12 ounces for this. If you don’t know what almond bark is, it has nothing to do with actual almonds. It’s just a white candy coating, like white chocolate, but it melts much better than white chocolate and is great for coating things. You’ll find it in the baking aisle of the grocery store. I actually consistently find it at Walmart where I live.
Melt that in the microwave until it’s nice and smooth,
and then pour it over the cookie-popcorn mix.
Spread it over waxed paper, or a silicone mat, or something like that. I leave it kind of clumped up so the cookies stay on there. Give it a taste and then lightly sprinkle the top with sea salt or kosher salt. It really helps balance out the flavor and gives it a little sweet and salty thing.
Once it’s dry you can break it up into little clusters and pop it in a party bowl. Holding a bowl of this is one of the best ways to make friends. I promise. (Someone asked where the cute little cups are from in this photo. Here’s the link, they’re from Pick Your Plum and come in tons of fun colors! Those are chevron, instead of stripes, but same cups.)
This sweet twist on regular ol’ popcorn may give you a couple cavities in one sitting. Worth it.
- 8–10 cups popped popcorn (I do one full micro bag, remove any un-popped ones first!)
- 15 Oreo cookies, chopped into small pieces
- 12 ounces almond bark, melted
- sea salt or kosher salt
- Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Add cookies. Pour melted almond bark over mixture and mix immediately until everything is well coated. Spread mixture onto parchment, waxed paper, or a silicone mat. Sprinkle with salt to taste and let dry until almond bark is set. Break into pieces and munch away.
Three quick things before I leave you for the weekend!
1. Last chance to snag one of our darling new tote bags at 40% off! These make awesome gifts so they’re a fun item to grab and store away for when you need something quick. Or just treat yo’ self!
2. For those of you seriously interested in the Freeze Dryer I wrote about on Monday, I heard Harvest Right is having a Memorial Day sale with a very substantial discount. Just an FYI!
3. Very fitting to end this post on, we have an awesome new Weekly Workout up this week! Jani knows how to kick our butts and she doesn’t disappoint on this one. Get the Summer HIIT workout (with video!) Here! Annnd, if you want to keep seeing weekly workout posts, make sure to leave a comment on that post! You guys have been quiet lately, and that’s the best way we can continue to gauge interest. We love hearing from you!