I’m going to show you how to make the yummiest little frozen treat that will have everyone going bananas. These are sweet and indulgent, but still pretty healthy so everyone in the family can enjoy them.
Start by slicing a couple of ripe bananas into about 1/2-3/4″ slices
and place them on a parchement-lined baking sheet. Place the sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes. You want the bananas chilled, so the chocolate mixture adheres quickly, but not frozen so that it’s difficult to use tooth picks to pick them up.
The first few times I made these, I dipped my bananas in melted almond butter, and after that had set in the freezer, I dipped them again in a melted chocolate mixture. I love the layers of flavor in that method, but the process takes much longer with additional steps. Looking to make this quick and easy, I decided to mix everything together and it worked perfectly. Just melt together some chocolate chips, almond or peanut butter, and a little bit of coconut oil.
The coconut oil makes the mixture smooth and easier for dipping.
I use a tooth pick in each had to grab a chilled banana chunk and dip it into the chocolate mixture. Let the excess drip off, and then place them back on the parchment.
If you like, before the chocolate sets, sprinkle on toppings like toasted coconut chips or chopped nuts.
Put the pan back into the freezer for a few hours for everything to freeze solid.
If you really want to monkey around, you can turn your little treats into curious monkeys by using one cookie have from a mini golden oreo and a little chocolate or black gel icing for the smile. I used the other half of the cookie for the ears, and two itty-bitty freeze dried marshmallows for the eyes!
These make a great little after-school snack or sweet treat after dinner.
Bananas are still a little soft after being completely solid, so they almost take on the texture and consistency of ice cream. In fact, one of my kids thought they were ice cream! The creamy chocolate with a hit of peanut butter is the perfect little indulgence to go with it. These will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth, and without breaking the caloric bank, either!
Try these out with your own little monkeys!Print
These frozen banana bites are sweet and indulgent, but they are healthy enough for the whole family to enjoy!
- 1–2 ripe bananas
- 6 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons peanut or nut butter of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- optional: assorted toppings like chopped peanuts, toasted coconut, etc.
- Slice bananas into 1/2-3/4 inch slices and lay on a parchment-lined pan. Place pan in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Combine chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted and smooth. Use a toothpick in each hand to pick up chilled bananas and dip them in chocolate mixture. Let excess drip off and then return to pan. If desired, sprinkle on toppings, and then return pan to freezer until bananas frozen through. Store in a covered container, layering on parchment if necessary.
Keywords: banana dipped in chocolate, chocolate covered bananas, frozen banana