This is the single most-requested, best-loved, raved-about recipe on my personal blog. So I took some prettier pictures now that we no longer live in the dark after 4:00 pm and am sharing it with all of you!

These aren’t your standard deli-sliced roast beef French dip sandwiches; you slow-cook a beef roast all day long until it’s so tender that you can shred it with one hand and a fork. The real beauty is how simple the ingredients are and how easy it is; it comes together in a matter of minutes in the morning and then you don’t have to worry about it for the rest of the day. It’s also one that works great for a make-ahead meal in the freezer, perfect for times when you know you’re going to be busy or after having a baby. Just because I love y’all, after the regular instructions, I’ll post freezer instructions.

French Dip Sandwiches
Our Best Bites

1 2.5-3 lb. beef roast (you can use a frozen roast if you want)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
2 c. water
2 cans beef broth
6-8 large buns (or more…6 would be VERY generous servings!)
Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.

When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You’re not cooking the meat, you’re just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices. Oh, and it smells so good–just like Grandma’s house on a Sunday afternoon.

Place in crockpot and sprinkle with onions soup mix. Pour water and beef broth over roast.

Cook 8-10 hours on low or cook 4-5 hours on high and another 3-4 hours on low. It’s hard to screw this part up; basically, the longer it cooks, the more tender it will be. But you know it’s done when you pop a fork in it and the meat just falls apart. When meat is ready, shred with a fork.

Place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melty. And don’t even think about walking away–things can go from lightly-toasted to on fire within a matter of seconds when you’re using your broiler.

Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!

FREEZER DIRECTIONS:

Prepare roast through the searing step; after meat has cooled, place in a plastic freezer-safe container (think Gladware), cover with onion soup mix and boullion, and freeze. When ready to cook, pop it straight into the crockpot (frozen), add 2 cups of water, and set to high until warm or, even better, simmering. Turn to low; cook for a total of 8-10 hours.

~April~ says:

It’s funny that you posted this recipe because I was just asking Treven yesterday if he would like to try french dips and told him that I would look for a recipe. It sounds delicous!

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Hi, I’m definitely in a recipe/cooking slump and stumbled upon your wesite from an old friend from high school’s blog. I’ll be sure to check back often.

Thanks for all your hard work.
    Jody Harris
    Oakley, UT

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Thanks for all your hard work.
    Jody Harris
    Oakley, UT

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Thanks for all your hard work.
    Jody Harris
    Oakley, UT

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Quick question…I think I might know you Sara, but in case you don’t want any personal info disclosed here…I will just ask if you speak Portuguese?

Jody

Jody

Jody

Sara says:

Yes Jody it’s me! I know who you are too, lol. I saw the “Wes, Jody, and Cameron” from Oakley and figured it HAD to be you guys! So who is it that you know that had our blog listed? I’m just curious where the string of people leads and if we have more people in common!

I think I know Jody from Oakley too. . .and I’m guessing you found this AWESOME blog from my sister’s blog who couldn’t resist stealing the link from me.

Man! Good stuff travels fast and far. . . way to go Sara!

Sara says:

Em, I was thinking you might be the connection….small world!

And since I’ve totally hijacked this comment thread, I have to add that the FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES ARE DELISH! lol. Everyone needs to try them!

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

You guessed right! Allison (Evans) Scott and I recently got back in touch through blogs and she posted the link. The horticulture background and only boys in your life was a major clue.

Allison is one year older than me, we were in the same ward growing up, and we were even ‘sisters’ on our pioneer trek. Also my little sister and Mandy Evans are great friends, so we figured out that your brother is married to Emily, right? It definitely is a small world!

Anyway, I love the site and can use all the cooking help I can get.

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Anyway, I love the site and can use all the cooking help I can get.

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Anyway, I love the site and can use all the cooking help I can get.

Kara says:

I love this recipe! Dale even ate it (that’s HUGE). So yummy. We were actually thinking about making in the next week or so.

B Family says:

Yum Yum Yum, LOVE these sandwiches. They are a regular here. And I just bought the stuff yesterday to make them this week. Thanks girls!

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Just wanted to mention that I made this for my family recently and received comments such as: “I think this is the best roast beef I’ve ever tasted!”

Fabulous and easy! Just what I like. Thanks!

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Fabulous and easy! Just what I like. Thanks!

Wes, Jody, & Cameron says:

Fabulous and easy! Just what I like. Thanks!

malouf says:

Kate, I love these! We’re having them tonight as a matter of fact. You totally saved me with the “make ahead meals” I needed for after the baby came. Just want to recommend these to whoever else reads the comments-you won’t be disappointed!

Kate says:

Alison, I’m so glad these were good for you! You had your baby at the end of March, right? Congrats! And I hope the freezer meals are working well for you. Gotta love a crockpot after you have a baby! :)

malouf says:

Kate-
    Yes, he was born 3/31, and it was snowing like crazy that day-be very glad you live in the South now! Thanks again for all of your help-I’m completely addicted to your blog and can’t wait until things calm down at my house just a little so I can start cooking things that take some time. In the meantime though, we are eating very well out of the freezer! =)

Tyler & Meagan says:

Yum. I just made this tonight and BOY was it good. DH kept moaning angdgroaning as he ate it. Lol. It was THAT good. And so easy, too. Almost too easy!!

Tyler & Meagan says:

Tyler & Meagan says:

Katy says:

I made this last week…YUMMY!! I love that it is SO easy, thanks!!

OhKaty from BBC

Aubri says:

Can I just say YUM? These were a HUGE hit at my house. We loved them! SO easy, and SO good! Thank you!

glenna says:

What cut did you use for your roast? I use a chuck roast in the crock pot when I make pot roast, but that doesn’t seem quite right for these sandwiches.

Kate says:

Hey, Glenna! :) Honestly, I just use whatever cut is cheapest. The only made I’ve had turn out not-so-great is that vacuum-sealed meat from Walmart. Other than that, it’s awesome every time!

The Nedrys says:

I love French Dip Sandwiches and it has been so hot in the Seattle area that I thought they would be any easy meal to make for company last night! I was right! Not only did we all love them, but I didn't have to slave over the stove! Thanks! We will definitely be having these regularly in my house!

Emili says:

I know its been a little while since you posted this, but this is now my FAVORITE recipe. I've always LOVED french dip, I'm thrilled I can make it myself and its DELISH! I've got a roast cooking right now even…

Caroline says:

I have a panini grill, and I made these with thick-cut fresh sourdough bread and then grilled them instead of broiling them. They came out great! Thanks for the recipe.

Nathaly says:

I can't believe I've never commented on this before! I've made these tons of times since getting the recipe from you and I love them. The hubby loves them even more. Thanks!

Jaimie says:

We had these last night. Delicious.

Marisa Skousen says:

Loved these – even with an elk roast they were delicious!

Beau and Jen says:

I made these for my family last night and they were just SOOO in love with the beef! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! I will now and forever keep this recipe at a top notch recipe! Thanks

chu33la says:

I have been making these French Dip sandwiches for years. They are SO delicious! I'm loving your blog and I informed my hubby tonight that I was addicted to just looking and reading all the recipes. I have 5 recipes on the menu for this week. Thanks for all the time you put into your blog.

mckay says:

I make these all the time..they are one of my favorite recipes. I just wanted to tell everyone to try spreading your rolls with garlic butter before broiling them. It sounds weird, but it is soooooo delicious on these sandwiches!

Jessica says:

I have tried many recipes from this blog and they are all great :) For some reason, my roasts have been coming out a little tough recently – not sure what I am doing wrong?? I tried this recipe and once again, the meat was not as tender as I would have liked. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jessica–What brand of roast are you using? The only reason I ask is because those vacuum-sealed roasts from Walmart and Sam's Club always come out tough for me. You can still buy a roast at Walmart, just make sure it's one of their cellophane-wrapped package instead of the vacuum sealed ones.

The other things I thought of were searing the roast a little longer and then just simply cooking it longer. Sometimes if I'm home, I like to cook it on high until it comes to a boil and then turn it to low until it falls apart; for some reason, that faster cooking at first seems to turn out a roast that's a little more tender.

Hope that helps!

Jessica says:

Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for your timely response! I just want to let you know how much I enjoy your blog – my kids and I have so much fun trying your recipes :) My husband is happy I found your blog too!

It's so strange since I have tried many different cuts and brands and I always do buy the cellophane-wrapped roasts – I even had an Angus roast come out tough! I used to make a great roast so I am so confused! LOL – this is very perplexing to me. I will try searing longer. Thanks again for your suggestions! I am going to try this again this weekend.

Oh – and I have been telling EVERYONE about your blog! I love it!

Thanks again,
    Jess

Jessica- one more thing to consider is the cut of meat you're using. That's the biggest factor for me when roasts don't come out tender. When buying a roast for crock pot cooking, it's the tougher cuts that will be the most tender (the opposite of other cooking methods). It has to do the the connective tissue that makes meat tough, but breaks down in low-slow cooking and turns super tender. Chuck roasts are always a safe bet.

Jessica says:

Sara,

Thank you so much! I will be sure to ONLY use a chuck roast. I will be keeping my fingers crossed – I am dying to make a great french dip sandwich! I appreciate all the adivse :)

Jessica says:

Okay – I have made this twice with all of the great advise and it came out incredible! Thank you so much :)

Kathryn says:

I made these tonight for my husband's guy night. We didn't have any beef broth so I doubled the water, and they were still amazing! I'm guessing the flavor would have been even better if I wouldn't have improvised. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Love the blog.

Holman Family says:

I used the panini grill suggestion instead of the broiler and they turned out amazing … love that crunch with the french dip. Thanks for the recipe and sharing ideas. Definitely a keeper!!

Thanks Kate and Sara for everything you do to make the meals at my house oh … so much better!!

kpic724 says:

Tried this tonight and my family loved it! THanks for the amazing recipe!! :)

wendy m says:

I no longer remember what I was searching for when I found your site, but this is what I made and it was PERFECT! Your site is beautiful and I can't stop cooking everything from it! Thank you, thank you!

Jessica says:

This recipe is exceptional! I had quite a bit left over (it was just me and the boyfriend eating it) so I created an additional recipe to use leftovers:

Cook desired amount of rigatoni pasta to al dente.
    In a saucepan, add a good amount of the 'dip' liquid without the meat on medium heat.
    Add about 1/2 c or so of crushed (or stewed) tomatoes and let liquid cook down a bit.
    At this point toss in whatever seasoning you like; smoked paprika, basil, whatever!
    While the sauce is boiling, grate some old cheddar cheese, and dice a red pepper.
    To thicken the sauce add a bit of cornstarch mixed with water. You want to get it to a consistency that it will coat the pasta.
    If the meat was refridgerated, warm it up, and it to the pasta along with the sauce, cheese and red pepper.
    Stir on low heat until cheese is melted, et voila!
    Alm

The Manintvelds says:

I so want to make this right now!!! I'm a big fan of the French dip! thank you for posting this ..

I know that alot of people have already commented on your amazing french dip post, but I wanted to chime in as well! :-) We just tried this recipe last night and it came out perfect!!

The thing that I really enjoyed about your blog was the step-by-step process that I couldn't find anywhere else. I'm a beginning baker/cook and I had no idea how to "sear" the meat, so I'm glad you showed a picture of what it should look like.

Anyways, I look forward to reading more of your tasty recipes! Thank you!

Kelly says:

I made these last night & they were wonderful. I forgot to include the 2 cups of water but i had a smaller roast–they were fab

Meridee says:

Made these for company, and there were oh so delish!

Amanda says:

Seriously! Amazing! I made these last night. DELICIOUS! I didn't have crusty buns but I toasted some up…wow that makes all the difference. Also, I had never pan seared my roasts before but it is not a lot of work and it worked great! I'll be doing that from now on. The meat was SOOO tender! I've never had it like that before! All I had to do was put a little pressure on it with a fork and it all fell apart! The only problem with this recipe is that is smells amazing right away and you have to wait all day to dig in. I'm a stay at home mom and it was torture but well worth the wait! I stumbled upon your blog just a few months ago and I LOVE IT! Keep up the good work!

Amanda
    Iowa

spotless.mind says:

I just made these with parmesan crusted bread and provolone cheese. It was amazing!

aggiechica says:

I came across your blog referenced in a friend's blog a few weeks ago. I love to cook but always need new ideas and inspiration. I love you guys! I have made at least a half dozen of your recipes in the last couple weeks. I've got the roast for French Dip sandwiches in the crockpot as I type this.

Joanna and Chris says:

Can you make this by putting a frozen roast straight in the crock pot or should the roast be thawed first? Thanks

Joanna

AbbaZabba82 says:

BIG hit!! Amazing, love it! But I need a recipe idea for all of the leftover au jus…soup??

Tina and Jason says:

Marvelous, simple sandwiches. I made them for Hubby's grandmother who "doesn't even like roast" and she gobbled it up. :)

bECCA says:

sooo i'm not a big beef eater but my hubby LOVES french dip. i've never made it (until tonight) and the meat seems a little dry. what's the best kind of roast to use to get a tender, juicy meat? i used eye of round beef roast.

Becca,

If you want something more tender and juicy than a round cut, go for a chuck roast. They have more fat and therefore more flavor and also tend to be juicier.

bECCA says:

thanks so much! i seriously sat in front of the beef section for a good 15 minutes trying to figure out the difference.

hubby loved the sandwich anyhow and it made my whole house smell yummy all day long!

Snuggs says:

Made this recipe over the weekend and it was a hit! We like French dips in this household and now we can French dip whenever we want. Thank you!

Debbie says:

I am way excited to try this. I love a crock pot in the summer. For those wondering, yes, chuck roasts are awesome for shredding later! And beef consumme (sp?) or a french onion soup instead of beef broth will add a nice deep flavor also.

Rose says:

If I wanted to use more meat (4.5 lbs) should I use additional seasonings and liquid? I don't want to add too much liquid since it is in the crock pot and there tends to be plenty just from the meat.

Rose says:

Also, do the leftovers freeze well?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Rose–I don't think you'd need any extra liquid just because I always have way more than enough for our sandwiches and end up tossing the leftover liquid. As far as freezing, it freezes BEAUTIFULLY, both before you cook it and after.

Hope that helps! :)

Radkes says:

Do you have a good bun recipe to go with these? Your roll recipe seems like it wouldn't work for these sandwiches.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Radkes–If I make my own, this is my favorite recipe:

Hope that helps! :)

Anna says:

A little tip: After I took the roast out of the pan (from searing it), I used the 2 cups water (cold) to deglaze the the pan and scraped up all of the caramelized bits, then poured that into the crock pot. I just hated the thought of those flavor bits going to waste AND it helped clean up the pan, too. :) This recipe is awesome though; I LOVE French dip!

Melee says:

What cut of beef roast do you use? They look delicious

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Melee–I honestly use whatever's cheapest, hahaha! :) No, I've had really good luck with round and chuck roasts.

Julie says:

I was wondering if this could be cooked on the stove top. Perhaps in a dutch oven on low, as I don't have a crock-pot. I hope so it sounds yummy!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Julie, if you have a Dutch oven, I'd just pop that in the oven set to 300 for about 4-5 hours.

Hope that helps!!

ayhack0 says:

I have to say, this is the BEST cooking site I've EVER found!!! I so appreciate the step by step instructions….and SO NEED them! My 6 yr old, 7 yr old, and high school football coaching husband appreciate it too! Obviously I don't have a lot of time, and your recipes are a huge help.

Two questions about the french dip. Approximately how long do you sear on each side? Is it okay if the liquid completely covers the roast in the slow cooker? I already have mine in the slow cooker for today, but I've never seared anything before and I worry that I didn't do it right. Also my liquid does completely cover the beef…I hope that's ok!!

Thanks again for the blog. Made the fauxtisserie chicken and the chicken pot pie with the homemade cream of chicken soup earlier this week, and the hubby and kids LOVED them!

Keep them coming!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

ayhack01–First of all, thank you for your sweet comments! I'm so glad that you and your family are happy with your kitchen adventures! :)

As far as searing goes, it's really hard to mess up. You just want the roast to be browned on all sides, so as long as it's not blackened, you're gonna be fine. And the liquid can totally cover up the roast–in fact, that's preferable because that means the whole roast will be soaking in that yummy broth mixture all day. Shoot, now I'm hungry for French Dip! :)

Peri says:

My entire family loved this! Thank you for sharing!

Plain Jame says:

OK, this is a classic. I know I say that about everything that I try, but this is perfect for this time of year, and it's so amazing. You could also just slice the roast super thin instead of shredding it, too. OH and this thread is hilarious. I was scrolling down through to find the bottom and I was laughing at the "Hey I know you!'s" hahahaa

Kim says:

I make something similar to this, I just simmer sliced leftover roast beef in the same broth. What makes them even better is adding a dressing made with mayo and horseradish. Soooo delish!!

Kim says:

ps…spreading alittle garlic butter is also amazing!

Ashley says:

Plan on making these tomorrow! But since there are only 2 of us, I'm wondering how I should reheat the frozen shredded beef for future sandwiches. Any suggestions?

Love this blog!

Cellina says:

I came across your website yesterday and I am so excited to try many of your recipes! Thanks for sharing!

Christine says:

Oh…My…GOSH!!! This is the most yummy way I have ever cooked a roast! My husband loved it, I loved it, and our dogs thought they died and went to heaven when they got a little bit as I cleaned out the crock pot. The broiler was a perfect finishing touch. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this with us! :-)

Chris P.
    St. Louis, MO

Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody says:

My hubby is coming home from Afghanistan this week and has specifically asked for this recipe when he comes home!
    It's a winner in our house!

DeVries Fam says:

I really want to try this recipe, but I only have a pork roast in the freezer and I'm worried about using it with a beef recipe. Is pork a viable substitute or should I just wait for the real thing?

DeVries- I'd wait for the beef!

justkris says:

I found your blog maybe 6 weeks ago. It took about a week to find this recipe. In those 5 weeks I have made French Dips 3 times and recommended it to others who have made them as well. I cannot get enough of this! My husband said, "This French Dip is worthy of me coming home for lunch for some leftovers." Yeah, it's just that good! And you just can't beat the delicious smell wafting over from the slow cooker all day long. Mmmmmmmmm…..

Erik & Marcie +2 says:

I love, love, love these! And I am NOT a french dip fan (until recently I guess!). I HAVE to have these again tonight (pregnant craving lol). Going to the market to buy a roast right now!! Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. Everything I have tried on here has been a huge hit with the fam. :)

DJ and Candra Probert says:

Made these last night for company. It made my life so much easier to have the meat cooking to perfection all day — I just had to take care of slicing bread, turning on the broiler and tossing a salad before dinner. And our company asked for seconds.

Absolutely delicious. Thanks!!

(p.s. I cooked it on high for about 5-6 hours then on low for another 3 hours. Perfection!)

randumbredhead says:

I don't remember how I came across your blog but I am so glad I did! I have made numerous recipes from your site now. I made this last night and my husband and I loved it! Loved loved loved it. I cooked it for 10 hours in the oven at 200 degrees and it was awesome. Hubby doesn't like it regular so I just put some BBQ sauce on his, but it passed!! Am going to try the chipotle beef taquitos tomorrow with the leftovers and your lime cilantro pineapple rice. So excited to try it!

Thanks much,
    ~ Sam

nikev says:

About to make this…noticed the pics have cup of au-jous sauce to be served with the sandwhiches. Is that just juice straight out of crock pot or do you do anything to it?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

nikev–Nope, the juices are just straight out of the pot (and YUMMY! :) )

Yellie says:

I love your website! My entire menu plan for the next two weeks if from OBB! I'm about to make this french dip recipe and I'm nervous. Every time I have tried to really slooooow cook meat in a crock pot in my life, it comes out over cooked and yuck! I don't know if the two crock pots I have owned just cook too hot? I've had success with just three hours with a thermometer probe watching the meat's temp on low for a decent pot roast. I think I might actually try it today in the oven like you suggested to someone else cause we have company coming and I don't want to mess up, but do you have any suggestions for my crock pot challengedness for the next time I try this recipe? Thanks!

Yellie- what is the general problem with your meat when you slow-cook? It's actually pretty hard to overcook a roast in the crock pot, so you might just be 1. using a cut of meat that isn't best for slow-cooking, or 2. Using recipes that don't allow enough moisture, or even under cooking it. This one is pretty fool proof so give it a shot!

Yellie says:

Thanks for the response! This is a chuck roast- I have no idea what I've tried in the past. Except that one was a vacuum packed wal-mart roast- lol! It happens when I cook chicken too- it gets this weird dry/leathery texture? I don't even know how to explain it, but it's just not edible. Today I had to do it in the crock pot b/c our oven broke and after an hour and a half on low I stuck the meat thermometer in and it was already at 140. I didn't want to ruin it so I turned it down to warm where its been sitting at 140 for a few hours. It's covered in liquid so there's got to be enough moisture!? My crock pot must just cook too hot? Are there temperature guidelines for slow cooking in a crock pot? What temp should it reach to be "done?" Thanks for your help!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Yellie–My guess is your problem, in part, the vacuum-packed Walmart roast; none of those have ever come out well for me and yeah, they do come out kind of dry and stringy and flavorless. I would opt for one of their shrink-wrapped Angus roasts or buying a roast at another store.

Julie says:

I have used this recipe at least 4 times for my freezer cooking sessions! It works wonderfully to freeze. Just pop the frozen hunk in the crock pot when you're ready to cook it! I don't bother browning the meat and it turns out great!

Gentry says:

Do you know what kind of roast you used? I am excited to try this one, looks great.

Shirley says:

I made these for friends this weekend, with a few minor changes and it was fabulous. I only added 1 can of broth, but instead added 1 can golden mushroom soup, some water, and worchestershire. The sandwiches were wonderful and very well received. The key to your recipe is toasting the buns – I think that makes it so nice.

I will definitely be making these again and again, either your way, or mine!

Christine J says:

Wow. This was delicious. Just got your book and tried this recipe out. This is the perfect dinner to make for guests that come to visit. Super easy and so delicious. Thanks!!

CHRISTINE says:

In Brazil is well known and it’s called Carne Maluca (Crazy Meat), and with the leftovers they prepare a vinagrette with onion, green and /or red/ peppers and leave it the fridge, and you eat in sandwiches or green salads very popular in summertime. There as many variations as brownies recipes rsrsrs keep the good work

Nancy B. says:

I LOOOVE French Dip! What is a side that goes good with french dip? And a veggie? Because I am feeding the missionaries and I need a fully balanced meal for these robust young boys!

Try a big salad with croutons and ranch dressing, oven steak fries or potato chips, and fresh fruit. Really, just about everything goes with french dips!

Marcia says:

I don’t have an appropriate crock pot for this so what temp in the oven should I cook this and how long?

I honestly don’t know, I’m so sorry! I would probably use a heavy enamel pot (like Le Crueset or one of the less-expensive knock-offs) and cook it on 300 until it’s falling apart. My guess would be about 4 hours, but I can’t say for sure.

Okay I know this is a really weird question…Why do you use olive oil to sear it? I saw a few other recipes on food network where they seared the roast in olive oil, but I thought if you were cooking at a high temperature you should use canola. Sorry to but you about this but you guys are always so good about responding that I couldn’t resist!

Hey, Sarah! I’m so sorry I’m just getting back to you. You know, I think you can really use any oil you want–olive oil is a little heavier and you definitely don’t want to use it for deep frying or anything, but I just love how olive oil smells when it heats and I like the flavor that it adds to the roast.

Cynthia Stuckey says:

Made these for dinner tonight… they smell delicious, but unfortunately I burnt ALL of my taste buds off tasting the sauce a few minutes ago. Oh well, I’m sure my husband will tell me how they are. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes! You two never disappoint!

Bethany says:

I wondered if you prefer a certain cut of roast? The first time I tried it was fabulous,t eh second time not so much, so now I fear making it again. I have a side of beef cut up in my freezer so I know the quality is good, I wish I could remember the cut I used before.

I love any type of chuck roast; they tend to have a little more fat, which gives them a more flavor and keeps the meat super tender!

Jenelle says:

Recently found your blog, and this is the 4th recipe of yours I’ve made in the past week, and I tell you, we’re 4/4! My husband is sooo picky and hard to please, but he loved this (and the other 3 recipes)! Even confessed it’s better than his mother’s! Hahahaha! Thank you! I think my next recipe will be the sloppy joes. Can’t wait! Thanks for sharing.

amber anderson says:

i love, love, love that you show a pic of the ingredients. it helps so much on those ingredients i am not familiar with. thanks, and can’t wait to try this recipe tonight!

katee says:

I love this recipe and can feed my family of 5 2 meals with it. It freezes beautifully.

Tiffany says:

Okay ladies, I had to comment on this one…made this the other night and it was delicious…I reserved the Au Jus (strained) and refrigerated it. I just used it to make French Onion Soup!! Soooo delicious…tomorrow I am making the Chipotle Beef Taquitos with the leftover beef.

I used a 4 lb roast and with the taquitos I will have gotten 3 meals plus leftovers from each!

Woo hoo!! Thanks!

Laurie Lincoln says:

Ridiculously phe NOM NOM NOM inal!!!!!! Thanks so much for this recipe. Just made it for dinner and it was great.

Julie says:

I made these last night for our Sunday dinner. DELICIOUS! All five of my picky eaters gobbled them up! Thank you for making me look like a good cook! LOL!

Bridget Bergstrom says:

My favorite Sunday dinner! Perfect to start before church and come home and have dinner ready! I spend all day in church thinking about coming home and eating these!

Ranelle says:

Made this last week and my boyfriend (a picky eater) could not stop picking at the roast! Needless to say we didn’t have much for leftovers, but this is hands down one of his favorite recipes now, and wants me to make it every week LOL! Cooked it for 10 hours on low and it was perfection. Thanks so much for this yummy recipe!

Amanda says:

Hi, this recipe has become a family favorite! I am making this for Christmas Eve for my husband’s family and am trying to figure how many pounds of roast to buy. I am feeding 14 people (5 being guys who I think will want 2nds). If you have a sec I would love the help!

Jessica says:

Hey there!

I love everything I have made using your recipes, thank you so much!

I have made these sandwiches a few times and love them, but I am going to try and do the freezer method and have a question.

After the roast is seared I should add the onion soup mix and how many teaspoons of bullion?

When I cook it, do I just add the 2 cups of water (like the regular recipe) or do add additional water as instructed on the bullion packaging?

Thanks so much, you ladies are amazing recipe wizards!

Hi, Jessica! Okay, after you sear the roast, sprinkle the onion soup mix. You can either use dry bouillon, or you can use canned beef broth (either now or when you cook it, just depending on what you prefer). If you use dry bouillon, when you place it in the crock pot, add enough water to reconstitute the broth (according to the package directions).

Does that make sense? :)

Beckie says:

MMMM. Delicious flavor!! After planning to make this for 3 days in a row, only to have less than 8-10 hours before dinnertime, again, I decided to cook it in my pressure cooker instead. My roast was only about 2 pounds, so I used 3 cups water, 2-3 tsp boullion, and about 3/4 of the onion soup mix. Cooked it at pressure for about 45 min. Since it wasn’t dinner time yet, I then put it in the crockpot to simmer and absorb more of the flavor. PS–I love love love your blog. I use your recipes frequently and have loved them all so far!! THanks for all your work and excellent explanations. It makes cooking so much more exciting.

Mackenzie says:

YUMM-O! Had this tonight and thought it was heaven! Thanks for sharing. I’ve posted a link to this recipe on my blog. I am going to have to dig around and find some more yummy recipes to try!

Jean says:

Our supermarket has been having a 5-buck chuck deal on Saturdays lately. This week I was thinking about doing French dip with my weekly purchase. It should make a couple of meals and brown-bag lunch for the two of us. And I am hoping as I have been satisfied with your other recipes that this will be good. Thank you. (and it could also make a great meal when the family is over helping us declutter, reduce, and clean out!!)

sherylynn ball says:

What size crockpot do you use for this recipe? I have a 5 1/2 quart but am thinking maybe it is too big. I’ve heard the crockpot should be at least one half to three fourths full. Thanks, I’m excited to try it!

Michelle says:

My question is similar to #56 “Joanna and Chris”, and after reading through the other comments I didn’t see a response to it and thought I’d ask again. The recipe says you can use a frozen roast. Does that mean you can just put the roast in the crockpot frozen, or sear it while it’s frozen and then put it in the crockpot? Or do you need to thaw it first? Hopefully that doesn’t sound dumb, just new at this and trying to clarify. Thanks!

Nancy says:

I have a question about the onion soup mix. I try to avoid packaged foods, so I’m curious if you have any substitutions for it? I searched online and found a dry onion soup mix recipe on allrecipes (which seemed to work OK – they were yummy!), but I also wondered if you had tried anything like that before, and what seasonings you might use if you didn’t have a package of onion soup mix on hand. Thanks!

Julie Larsen says:

How do you toast your bread? Do you butter them and broil it till their crunchy, then add the meat and cheese and do it again?

I just lightly butter them, broil until golden brown and then put everything on. Then you can pop them in there again really quickly to melt the cheese

Marie M.C. says:

Going to add chuck roast to my shopping list. I have what they call a Philly cheese steak sandwich at the food court in the Mall and always add caramelized onions and pickled jalapenos. I’ve never made it at home but this slow cooked chuck roast sounds good to me, too!

Kristina baker says:

Hi! Are these sandwiches made with your French bread recipe?

Katie W. says:

If I were to have like 1.5 pound roast should I half the recipe??

chefdugan says:

Your sandwich might be called a shredded roast beef sandwich but it is not even close to a French Dip. The beef should be thinly sliced and medium rare. I’m sure your sandwich is good but I just hate it when people depart from tradional ways of doing things and start adding things like french onion soup mix, lettuce (ugh!) and other crap and then steal the name. What’s next, adding lemon pepper mix to a filet and calling it Steak Ou Piouve? The proper dip, by the way, is homemade beef stock and red wine. Otherwise, go to Subway and order one of their awful concoctions.

RSS says:

Chefdugan…it appears as though you may have your chef coat on a bit too tight. Loosen up that top button – I do that with mine and find that simple things don’t get under my skin. Give it a go – ‘eh?

Laurel says:

This is a new favorite, thank you Kate! I tried to print the recipe and it said I didn’t have permission to do so. I haven’t had problems printing other recipes on your blog before. Any suggestions?

Danelle says:

I hope you get to this comment!! I am making this for a meal exchange. Under the freezer directions it says to sprinkle on the and the soup mix bouillion. So I guess you use beef boullion instead of the beef broth. Is that right? Is that what I should do? How much? Could you just add the 2 cans of beef broth when you cook it like in the regular recipe? Thanks for everything! You two are great!

I was wondering the same thing! Do you use bouillon when freezing or were you referring to the beef broth? Thanks! I love your blog, it is my go-to when meal-planning.

Kiasa says:

I just made this yesterday and it was fabulous! I had never (ever) used a crockpot before and was a little nervous. (Funny, I know, but I have some really good cooks around me who really dislike crockpots.) Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband loves French Dip Sandwiches at restaurants and he said this was so amazing.

Shandell says:

I’ve always struggled making a good roast, of any kind. It’s always dry and tough. Is it the cut of roast that makes a difference? I thought beef roasts were best cooked to medium, so when I make one in the crock pot and cook it all day mine turn out dry, not tender. The longer I cook it the more dry, not the more tender like you say in the recipe. What am I doing wrong?

The cut definitely makes a difference, and I’ve been meaning to post about this for awhile. Chuck roasts work great, but they’re pretty fatty. My favorite is probably a top round roast, followed by a bottom round roast (also called a rump roast, which I remember from some Brady Bunch special, hahaha), then a chuck roast. The one you really want to stay away from is the eye of round. It’s a really tricky cut of meat, but it’s pretty much always available near all the beef roasts, so it’s easy to grab. It just comes out dry and bland and stringy and tough.

So this happened. I’ve made this yummy meat quite a few times. Everyone LOVES it. I try to keep it in the freezer for a weekend when we are busy and I can just pop it in the crock pot in the morning and it’s all ready to go for dinner.

However, this time instead of putting it in the freezer when instructed, I put it in the fridge. Brain fart. A few days later, I realized my mistake. It had been marinating for 3 days. The next night would be a great night to have to anyway so in the morning, I popped it in the crockpot for dinner.

This meat is really delicious every time. This time, being seared and marinaded – out of this world yummy!

By the way, I do not use that typical onion soup mix found in most stores full of MSG. I only use Simply Organic French Onion dip mix. It’s organic and has no msg. I find it at Whole Foods but you can also buy it at amazon.

Cindi says:

Just had this for dinner. DELICIOUS!

Denise says:

I am using a beef rump roast. Do you think that will be a good meat for this recipe? If its not tender enough to pull apart, should I just try slicing it? Thank you for this recipe it really does look fantastic.

LOVE this recipe!! We make it probably once a month.
    We always have tons of left over beef though. Any recipe suggestions for the left over beef??

kt says:

Can I use the leftover beef from this in your beef taquitos or would the onion soup mix give it an off flavor?